What do you think and need your input?

Guest windhamdw

Guest windhamdw

Was messing around this weekend trying to figure out a way to store my rifles and accessories. This is what i came up with also was checking to see if anyone thinks there would any interest or a market for it?

They could also be used for different things like a toy chest, storage chest, Bunker box or even a coffee table.

Starting to make another i think i'm going to use as a coffee table/storage table.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

IMAG0584_zps8ee343e5.jpg

IMAG0581_zps1a78cf08.jpg

IMAG0588_zps5996c8cf.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice looking.  Get some padding in the individual gun rests, don't let wood rest on wood.

The only draw back I see, you've got a ready made "take it all" and quickly set up for theives.  For display and movement by you, great thing.  For long term storage, get a safe and a big one or bolt it down.

Guest Lester Weevils

Windhamdw, those look great. I don't have any idea of the commercial potential, one way or t'other.

A couple of comments that don't really matter much-- Piano hinges might be a little more "rugged". Or not. I like the piano hinges because they are attached with so many screws, and don't have minor alignment problems, so it is real unlikely they get loose over time.

The models with outside braces-- If for instance the top braces were 1 X 3, and then the equivalent lower braces were two parallel 1 X 2, with a space between them equal to the width of the top 1 X 3, multiple boxes would be stackable and not likely to slide off of one another?

very nice, I would also say it needs padding but otherwise its great.  

Trouble is, its not a safe, so the only use I would have for it would be transportation.   It would make a great box if you haul many rifles to the range, for example more than one competitior in your car on the way to 3 gun, 4 or 6 long guns gets difficult in a hurry.

Guest windhamdw

Thanks for all the replys, not really using as safe more like a gun cabinet, etc.

Rightwinger, I do need to add padding.

TripleDigitRide, I made one without the boards too, i still haven't decided which i like best.

Lester Weevils, didn't think about the piano hinges i may have try those out. 

I was thinking they could be used for other stuff too like a toy chest, foot locker, storage chest, coffee table too.

Thanks again for all the great in put.

Thanks for all the replys, not really using as safe more like a gun cabinet, etc.

Rightwinger, I do need to add padding.

TripleDigitRide, I made one without the boards too, i still haven't decided which i like best.

Lester Weevils, didn't think about the piano hinges i may have try those out.

I was thinking they could be used for other stuff too like a toy chest, foot locker, storage chest, coffee table too.

Thanks again for all the great in put.

Yeah, they have many uses. I have a modern version that I use as a coffee table. Build a quality item with color options and priced right, they will sell.

First thing I thought of  http://tommylinspace.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/p1090338.jpg, hopefully most will get the reference :)

Make it air tight and water proof and you'll have a nice box to put under your petunias when the gun-grabbers come to take your stash :D

Since it has handles, meaning it's meant to be moved. I'd also suggest a restraint to keep the rifles from coming out of their grooves and a better means of storing the handguns.

I like it for accessories and such. Make it wide enough to fit two 50cal ammo cans length wise and at least two high. Reinforce the bottom so it'll hold all that ammo. I'd probably get one.

Edited by JeffL
Guest Lester Weevils

I think i finally built the one i'm going to use, i just need to clear coat it and put the wheels on the bottom.

IMAG0601_zps0f912169.jpg

That is real pretty. Is it walnut, or some kind of stain, or what?

Another silly idea, I've got a million of em-- With something that looks "kinda old", if the hardware was "obviously handmade" from a blacksmith, that might set it off better than new shiny factory hardware? But maybe that would be real expensive. Was just thinking, we have one or more blacksmiths who hang out here.