Numerous Pro-Gun Bills Filed as TN 2013 Legislative Session Convenes

Numerous Pro-Gun Bills Filed as TN 2013 Legislative Session Convenes

The 2013 session of the Tennessee General Assembly is off to a good start with several pro-gun bills being introduced.  Even though last session ended on a sour note, your NRA-ILA is confident that we can take many legislative steps this year to further protect the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Tennesseans.  The following pro-gun bills have been introduced:

• House Bill 6, sponsored by state Representative Eric Watson (R-22), would allow K-12 school personnel to possess a firearm on school property if the person has a handgun carry permit, is authorized by the school superintendent, has had 40 hours of basic school policing training and uses frangible bullets.
  •  
  • House Bill 9, sponsored by state Representative William Lamberth (R-44), makes all information contained in and pertaining to a handgun carry permit application or renewal application and the status of a handgun carry permit confidential and not open for public inspection.  State Senator Ferrell Haile (R-18) has sponsored the Senate companion bill, Senate Bill 108.
  •  
  • House Bill 10, sponsored by state Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), prohibits the allocation of state or local public funds to the regulation or enforcement of any federal law, executive order, rule or regulation that becomes effective on or after January 1, 2013, that imposes restrictions on citizens who lawfully possess or carry firearms in Tennessee.  Senate Bill 40, the companion bill, is sponsored by state Senator Frank Niceley (R-8).
  •  
  • House Bill 108, sponsored by state Representative Sheila Butt (R-64), provides that a public or private employer cannot require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about the ownership or storage of a firearm in the applicant or employee's vehicle.
  •  
  • House Bill 118, sponsored by Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), allows those with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions.  Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey (R-4) has filed Senate Bill 142, the companion bill to HB 118.
  •  
  • Senate Bill 76, sponsored by state Senator Stacey Campfield (R-7), limits the number of handgun carry permit records that can be reproduced in a single day to fifteen.
  •  
  • Senate Bill 77, also sponsored by Senator Campfield, allows certain persons employed by a local education agency as a faculty or staff member at a K-12 school to possess and carry a firearm.
  •  

Your NRA-ILA will continue to monitor this legislation and keep you informed of committee assignments and hearing dates, so please stay tuned to www.nraila.org for updates.

• Like 3
[quote name="Razz" post="899693" timestamp="1359512202"]I don't understand Bill 118. How is that different from the current law? Doesn't my Cary permit already alow me to transport a firearm and ammunition?[/quote] I think it has to do with the parking lot. I don't know the details, but I assume it seeks to allow storage in a posted lot
[quote name="Batman" post="899703" timestamp="1359512542"]I think it has to do with the parking lot. I don't know the details, but I assume it seeks to allow storage in a posted lot[/quote] Ah. That makes sense. Thanks

When are we going to get rid of the local park carry bans?  Memphis has some parks that you cannot legally carry in.  What better place to need a gun than in a park in Memphis?

Edited by 270win

I don't understand Bill 118. How is that different from the current law? Doesn't my Cary permit already alow me to transport a firearm and ammunition?

(a) Notwithstanding §§ 39-17-1309, 39-17-1311, or § 39-17-1359, unless
expressly prohibited by federal law, the holder of a valid handgun carry permit
recognized in Tennessee may transport and store a firearm or firearm
ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle, as defined in §
55-1-103, while on or utilizing any public or private parking area if:
(1) The permit holder’s vehicle is parked in a location where it is
permitted to be; and
(2) The firearm or ammunition being transported or stored in the
vehicle:
(A) Is kept from ordinary observation if the permit holder is
in the motor vehicle; or
  B  Is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the
trunk, glove box, or interior of the person’s privately owned motor
vehicle or a container securely affixed to such vehicle if the permit
holder is not in the vehicle.

Basically says you can leave your handgun in your vehicle, but do not yet know what the "gotcha" is due to 39-17-1313, I can not access the latest version of that Public Chapter.

Just received this text from one of the sponsors in response to a question "Very simple. If you are a gun permit holder you can have your gun in any pkn lot in Tennessee" at least that is the intent, till we get the conference committee.

Edited by Worriedman
Guest 556or762

What's the status of Joe Carr's HB 42? Does the Beavers/Butt bill supercede it?

Man I can't believe I just typed that...

Ha, yeah thats funny you said Beavers and Butt, I would like to keep track of the dates of these hearings and as long as the hearings for any such bills are open to the public I think some of us should attend and show support.

Nothing is passed, nothing is out of committee.  Remember, Madam Speaker does not believe that the legislature should spend any time on gun bills.

It has been her stated goal to ONLY provide succor to those entities that write large checks to the Republican Party.

Edited by Worriedman

Nothing is passed, nothing is out of committee.  Remember, Madam Speaker does not believe that the legislature should spend any time on gun bills.

It has been her stated goal to ONLY provide succor to those entities that write large checks to the Republican Party.

Agreed, Harwell, right now is the fly in the ointment.  I have looked at both bills as written that we can see, 108 and 118.  Both look good as far as I am concerned.  Reflecting on last year, among many factors, I feel part of the Safe Commute's demise was due to the fact that the Republican leaders did not want the Democrats stealing their thunder.  Both the bills, the Senate and House versions were sponsored by Democrats. 

Ramsey also needs to be watched.  He definately had a hand in killing the bill last year.  Prior to this falls elections, he indicated that he was working on a version of Safe Commute for this year and wanted to get it passed and out of the way quickly in the session.  But we never saw a often promised draft of his bill.  Now we see it and in all fairness, with the exceptions of the Campfield amendments, in essence, it isn't all that different than what was proposed last year.  So I will ask the rhetorical question, if it was "bad" last year, why is it "good" this year.  I am like Worriedman, there has to be another shoe ready to drop somewhere.  He stabbed us in the back last year and we all have heard the expression about fooling me once.

When Ramsey alluded to a bill that be acceptable to all concerned, I was very worried that it would be a bill that had a lot of exemptions for large businesses with fenced lots.  That would make the bill unacceptable to me and I would have to oppose it. 

I can only hope that with these bills being sponsored by Republicans, and particularly the Lt. Governor, they will have less resistance this year.   

• Like 1
  • House Bill 6, sponsored by state Representative Eric Watson (R-22), would allow K-12 school personnel to possess a firearm on school property if the person has a handgun carry permit, is authorized by the school superintendent, has had 40 hours of basic school policing training and uses frangible bullets.

Why only K-12 and why only school personnel? This needs to be ammended to include all schools and allow for volunteers to be trained and qualified.

I like SB77 even less because it only allows school personnel to possess a firearm when a resource officer is not on duty. One person alone can't cover a school effectively. "when seconds count..."

Edited by PapaB

Why only K-12 and why only school personnel? This needs to be ammended to include all schools and allow for volunteers to be trained and qualified.

I like SB77 even less because it only allows school personnel to possess a firearm when a resource officer is not on duty. One person alone can't cover a school effectively. "when seconds count..."

I wondered about the K-12 part myself.  Maybe the thinking is that most, maybe all, of the colleges and universities have armed security already.  I'd like to see the bill extend to all schools though.

This years parking lot bills now have co-sponsors.  The bill in the House by Faison now has Josh Evans on board and the Senate bill by Ramsey has Jack Johnson of Williamson County.  The Senate bill is also NOW on schedule to be heard THIS COMMING Tuesday, the 5th of February in the Senate Judicial Committe at 3:30 PM

Regarding HB118/SB142: "...allows person with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm OR firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions." Don't they proofread this stuff before publishing it? If the summary is accurate and the bill becomes law, we will only have the freedom to choose whether to store a firearm OR ammunition in our vehicles. One is useless without the other. Also, what restrictions/prohibitions are included in the "certain conditions"?