Zip .22lr (Modular Firearm)

GlockSpock

They state in several places on site you must get SBR stamp if using in that way.

--------------

7. ZiPâ„¢ appears to have several modular interchangeable tops?

Answer: Yes. ZiPâ„¢ has a unique system of rails. ZiPâ„¢ Std Rail, ZiPPicâ„¢Rail, ZiPNiteâ„¢Rail (Glock style sight provisions), and **ZiPSBRâ„¢Rail (Approved Form 1 for legal use). Each rail has a purpose. The ZiPPicâ„¢ allows you to attach any type of red dot heads up display on its standard picatinny rail dimensions, and is used as the locating rail for the BattleZiPâ„¢ **SBR Survival Stock. While the **ZiPSBRâ„¢ Rail allows the ZiP Operatorâ„¢ to attach ZiPâ„¢ to another platform such as a AR-15 or SCAR.

** Note: SBR stands for a special classification of weapon (In this case a pistol) when transformed into an SBR- or Short Barreled Rifle. As such, purchase -or- possession of a rail or a stock does not require an Approved ATF Form 1, however, USE OF THOSE COMPONENTS while in combination with ZiPâ„¢ (attached to another platform) e.g. AR-15/SCAR or BattleZiPâ„¢ SBR Stock, requires the user to satisfy two separate issues for legal use. 1) is overall length of the entire platform of 26 inches, 2) is barrel length of a minimum of 16 inches. ZiPâ„¢ has only a 5.25 inch barrel "Short barrel rifle" when attached) and so the Approved ATF Form 1 (cost $200) is required for LEGAL USE.

- OS

I'm trying to think of a practical application of attaching a .22 to the bottom rail of a .223 rifle.  It looks cool, so surely there is a good reason out there to justify it, I just can't think of one.

Looks like it would be just a fun gun to play with. Did a little more poking around last night. From watching the few videos on you tube that are up looks like it has all kinds of feed problems. And went to gun broker and like every thing else they were double the list price. Would not go through the trouble to mount on a AR that is for sure withe SBR taxes and all. But for the around $200 list price I would still give one a shot.

Jasn

How ironic that right after I found ths USFA Zip, someone would be selling one in Nashville!

http://www.gunlistings.org/tennessee-gun-classifieds/nashville/all/131500/usfa_zip_for_sale_nib

I think retail is, as stated above, $199. They feel they'll get $500 for one. You could do 1 Ruger Mark II/III and a lot of ammo or even to Ruger's.
:)

I'd like to shoot one.

I like how his wife is "giving him he'll over it" but it will be perfectly acceptable to trade it for another gun.
Guest ochretoe

I looked at one last week at my LGS.  It is very awkward.  Don't think I like it but I might like it better if I shot it some.  It was about $250 best I can recall.

I'm trying to think of a practical application of attaching a .22 to the bottom rail of a .223 rifle.  It looks cool, so surely there is a good reason out there to justify it, I just can't think of one.

Slap a can on?  :shrug:

Don't be realistic and bring logic into this argument, shame on you.

I see it as being practical as a very small but accurate 22 with a red dot for a BOB

But is it really that small and really that accurate? Personaly ergonomics confound me, how the hell do you even hold it? For a bob gun I'd go with an SR22 any day of the week. Ergonomic, small, no feeding issues, and very accurate. The only real upside to the ZIP is that you can cram 10/22 mags into it. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Yeah I pretty much talked myself out of this one already, I'd still pick one up used for >$200 if it worked correctly but to pass it off as anything more than what it is (a novelty) would just be unfounded.

But is it really that small and really that accurate? Personaly ergonomics confound me, how the hell do you even hold it? For a bob gun I'd go with an SR22 any day of the week. Ergonomic, small, no feeding issues, and very accurate. The only real upside to the ZIP is that you can cram 10/22 mags into it. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Yeah I pretty much talked myself out of this one already, I'd still pick one up used for >$200 if it worked correctly but to pass it off as anything more than what it is (a novelty) would just be unfounded.e 

what throws me is that to charge it... you have to put your fingers up by the muzzle. Nothing could ever go wrong with that design!