Gun shop scanned my driver's license

red dirt

Well, over 99% of people don't walk around with $600 cash on them, so nearly every customer would need to have the deposit put against a credit card. I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say that most people would rather just exchange their driver's license than have their card run. I mean, you have to do it when you test drive a car. I don't see people boycotting every car dealership ever over that rule.

You know that they're gonna give that info to the UN. Then... here come the helicopters. So, now you're out $10k for a Barrett light fifty to shoot those sumbitches down. It's a tangled web :)

• Like 2

If they are having problems with people running off with guns maybe they should have someone posted at the door.

I thought about this too.  Technically, the perp HAS a gun too, so you can shoot.  This might be the best criminal elimination system ever: give them an unloaded gun to steal and shoot em when they do....

Edited by Jonnin

Wow, I stirred up a storm here. Here is my reasoning in a nutshell:

Holding my DL while I look at a gun as insurance =  No Problem. 

Scanning the information off my DL without my permission and storing it while I look at a gun = invasion of expected privacy

Then again he may have just been scanning to ensure its validity but I already had the gun in my hands.  I should have pressed for more information after the brief explanation "Store Policy, we have had some situations"

• Like 1

Well, over 99% of people don't walk around with $600 cash on them, so nearly every customer would need to have the deposit put against a credit card. I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say that most people would rather just exchange their driver's license than have their card run. I mean, you have to do it when you test drive a car. I don't see people boycotting every car dealership ever over that rule.

I had well over $600 cash and a .45 concealed on my hip, the last thing I was looking for was any kind of altercation, the first thing I was looking for when the shotgun caught my eye was a sub-compact 9mm. 

As far as the car analogy, you are driving a car, there is a huge liability there and you must be licensed to drive any car, theirs or yours.

I may have been overcome by a little case of the creeps too if i hadn't spent a little time chewing the fat with those guys when they first opened. When you think about it, you're going to give them lots of personal info when you actually make the purchase. I'm one of these guys that puts my SSN on the 4473 to speed things up and cut down on errors.

Seems to me that those guys made a simple mistake of not informing you first. I'll bet money that they would be willing to add that step as a matter of policy, especially if they saw this thread.

Wow, I stirred up a storm here. Here is my reasoning in a nutshell:

Scanning the information off my DL without my permission and storing it while I look at a gun = invasion of expected privacy

Then again he may have just been scanning to ensure its validity but I already had the gun in my hands.  I should have pressed for more information after the brief explanation "Store Policy, we have had some situations"

I think you have a valid gripe with them scanning your license without your permission, but I think it was just a misunderstanding rather than a lack of consideration. I'm sure they aren't planning on selling your info or using that information for nefarious purposes, and so they probably didn't even consider it to be an issue... in their mind. Perhaps they should have anticipated customer concern.

Maybe if you'd informed them that you aren't comfortable with them doing that, especially without your permission they would have changed their policy. And if they got huffy with you I'd agree with posting their info here. But I don't think this is anything beyond a misunderstanding that could have been cleared up on the spot, as opposed to posting here and chasing off customers.
  • Like 1

I agree with this. The store needs to let you know up front what the intentions are, IMO.

Like I said

I think you have a valid gripe with them scanning your license without your permission, but I think it was just a misunderstanding rather than a lack of consideration. I'm sure they aren't planning on selling your info or using that information for nefarious purposes, and so they probably didn't even consider it to be an issue... in their mind. Perhaps they should have anticipated customer concern.

Maybe if you'd informed them that you aren't comfortable with them doing that, especially without your permission they would have changed their policy. And if they got huffy with you I'd agree with posting their info here. But I don't think this is anything beyond a misunderstanding that could have been cleared up on the spot, as opposed to posting here and chasing off customers.

Like I said but when I asked why,  I was told "Store Policy, we have had some situations" , the tone of this answer did not indicate any further dialog was welcome.  

Like I said

Like I said but when I asked why,  I was told "Store Policy, we have had some situations" , the tone of this answer did not indicate any further dialog was welcome.  

Well if you feel if they got huffy with you about it then I agree they are in the wrong and deserved to be outed. I just feel as if in business and personal relationships, the party being bashed should always be made aware of the reasons you are upset before bashing them so they have the opportunity to correct their behavior or validate your assumptions.

Well if you feel if they got huffy with you about it then I agree they are in the wrong and deserved to be outed. I just feel as if in business and personal relationships, the party being bashed should always be made aware of the reasons you are upset before bashing them so they have the opportunity to correct their behavior or validate your assumptions.

Well, I appreciate and respect your advice, perhaps you are correct, thank you. I was shocked and not ready for this invasion of my personal information. There was no assumption, they DID scan my DL WITHOUT informing me. 

The gentleman was not "Huffy" at all, nor was e forthcoming regarding his actions or the reasoning behind it or responsive to my inquiry.

Well, I appreciate and respect your advice, perhaps you are correct, thank you. I was shocked and not ready for this invasion of my personal information. There was no assumption, they DID scan my DL WITHOUT informing me. 

The gentleman was not "Huffy" at all, nor was e forthcoming regarding his actions or the reasoning behind it or responsive to my inquiry.

The assumption I was speaking of was the poor customer relations on the part of the clerk.

Having worked I customer service for 6 grueling years, I take poor customer service very seriously as I know it is not that hard to take pride in your work even if you don't make much. I will normally engage the person directly as opposed to getting them in trouble with their boss, and if they give me a poor answer I take it to the next level. If I don't like the answer there then I will no longer patronize that business. I recently had an experience such as this with a service. I engaged a customer service representative with my issues and they were not helpful, nor did they process my issue to my satisfaction. In fact, I would classify their act as theft, as I paid for a service that was not rendered. Since it was not handled correctly I contacted a person high up the chain and informed them of the situation and that I wanted my money back and an answer on whether or not I am valued as a customer. The letter was much more in depth than that, but the answer I received was better than good. Not only did I receive a refund and a bunch of free stuff (which was not my intention) I was able to make suggestions to help correct the problem with their customer service, which they seemed genuinely concerned with doing. It changed my opinion on the company. Now, had the response been unsatisfactory I would tell everyone I knew not to do business with these people in an attempt to steer customers away. But if I didn't give them a chance I would feel guilty damaging their reputation. Kinda like the rule of never say anything behind someone's back (or on the Internet) unless you're willing to say it to their face.

I think where the store went wrong in this situation, is simply not notifying you Red Dirt of their intentions.  I would have been spooked too admittedly ....

If they had asked, "Look, we've had several burglaries and guns walk over the past few months, would you mind if we scanned your ID for authenticity and age verification, prior to pulling firearms out for you?"

I would have felt alot more comfortable with that route taken because A)  They are forthcoming with their info  B)  I can understand they are just trying to save their own A$$  :)

I've been looking a some guns here lately, and each and every time they take my DL and hold on to it until I'm done looking at the guns. I'm OK with that as I've nothing to hide and I don't intend on dashing out the door with their gun.

Dave

No one other than law enforcement is going to scan anything off my license. My FFL writes down the number on the form. Hell I think he has it memorized.

Target tried to scan it when I purchased one of the Call of Duty games. I told the clerk AND her manager no. She said it's store policy, I said its MY policy to be rather private. Either sell me the game after you verify my age on the front or I'll walk next door and buy it, doesn't matter to me.

Store policy was "waived"

I would have asked to speak to a manger and requested my personal data be removed from their system while I stood there. If they're that worried about security they need a autolocking door with a push button to unlock it....orf friggin move out of the ghetto

I've been looking a some guns here lately, and each and every time they take my DL and hold on to it until I'm done looking at the guns. I'm OK with that as I've nothing to hide and I don't intend on dashing out the door with their gun.

Dave

What will it be the next time? "We just need to get your fingerprints before we let you _____" It's a gradual erosion of privacy. No gun store will be scanning or holding my ID before I am actively filling out a 4473.

good discussion,I would have declined to provide it and wouldnt allow anyone to scan it as well.There are so many forged DL's out there,you might as well hand em an elvis license from a souvenir shop if they're that anal.Some may not wanna hear this but your DL belongs to the state of issuance.It is yours only to demonstrate you have qualified to obtain the privilege to drive.It is also the holders responsibility to maintain it.Maintaining it means not giving it to someone to copy without reasonable purpose. LGS guy has an obligation to protect himself,BUT he can refuse service at will.He may ask for it as part of the sale which is understood,but to scan a DL for the reason of allowing someone to finger a weapon is moot.....

If they are having problems with people running off with guns maybe they should have someone posted at the door.

Two reasons for this. First, to make sure you are old enough to look at and/or buy any particular weapon. I looked at a pistol up the other day. The transaction as follows;

Clerk; Good morning sir, how are you.

Me: Fine, and you?

Clerk: Anything I can help you with?

Me: I'd like to look at that Ruger MKIII.

Clerk: May I see your drivers lic.

Me: I handed her my drivers lic.

Clerk: Mr. S I'll have to get another employee to show you the handgun, as I'm not old enough yet to handle them.

Me : That's fine

2nd Clerk: asked first clerk if she had my DL...she said yes.

2nd clerk showed me the pistol. First clerk scanned my DL.

Me: Why did she scan my DL?

Clerk: To verify that it was a real/valid ID. And we hold your DL as long as you are handling our firearms. We're had people try to run out the door with them, try to buy them with fake DL and and some not old enough to buy to begin with.

Then the clerk brought up the resident thing.

I bought the pistol I wanted, got my DL back and all went/is well. My data wasn't stored or nothing. It verified a valid lisence is all. When you buy a firearm, you enter more information on your federal form than your DL will ever contain!

Lets all just support our small businesses and TGO sponsors. The world would be a happier place!

Dave S

No one other than law enforcement is going to scan anything off my license. My FFL writes down the number on the form. Hell I think he has it memorized.

Target tried to scan it when I purchased one of the Call of Duty games. I told the clerk AND her manager no. She said it's store policy, I said its MY policy to be rather private. Either sell me the game after you verify my age on the front or I'll walk next door and buy it, doesn't matter to me.

Store policy was "waived"

I would have asked to speak to a manger and requested my personal data be removed from their system while I stood there. If they're that worried about security they need a autolocking door with a push button to unlock it....orf friggin move out of the ghetto

How did Target get you're DL? I buy games there and have never been ID except one time for "game content" and once when I used my credit card. Nothing was ever scanned but the CC. Other than that, they never ask for it.

Dave S

Guest AmericanWorkMule

What was the company and what was the deal?

If they were cool you ought to spread the word just as much as if they weren't cool.

The assumption I was speaking of was the poor customer relations on the part of the clerk.

Having worked I customer service for 6 grueling years, I take poor customer service very seriously as I know it is not that hard to take pride in your work even if you don't make much. I will normally engage the person directly as opposed to getting them in trouble with their boss, and if they give me a poor answer I take it to the next level. If I don't like the answer there then I will no longer patronize that business. I recently had an experience such as this with a service. I engaged a customer service representative with my issues and they were not helpful, nor did they process my issue to my satisfaction. In fact, I would classify their act as theft, as I paid for a service that was not rendered. Since it was not handled correctly I contacted a person high up the chain and informed them of the situation and that I wanted my money back and an answer on whether or not I am valued as a customer. The letter was much more in depth than that, but the answer I received was better than good. Not only did I receive a refund and a bunch of free stuff (which was not my intention) I was able to make suggestions to help correct the problem with their customer service, which they seemed genuinely concerned with doing. It changed my opinion on the company. Now, had the response been unsatisfactory I would tell everyone I knew not to do business with these people in an attempt to steer customers away. But if I didn't give them a chance I would feel guilty damaging their reputation. Kinda like the rule of never say anything behind someone's back (or on the Internet) unless you're willing to say it to their face.

What was the company and what was the deal?
If they were cool you ought to spread the word just as much as if they weren't cool.

It was our local cable service provider through Clarksville Department of Electricity. Historically they've had a lot of growing pains as they are new to the industry, and so they have a reputation for spotty service, but they were always very responsive and helpful. Over the past year and a half there have been a lot of staff changes and I think that has something to do with it. So I emailed several of their higher ups to include the interim superintendent to let them know what is going on with their company. They were calling my wife within a half hour of sending the email, reimbursed us for several months of service and comped some of our bill. The response was enough to make clear that the issue was isolated to personalities within their customer service center which I assume is going to be corrected.