Stones River Trout Fishing

[font=Arial, 'sans-serif']Sorry to be negative about your video but the fish you are throwing back will all most likely die. they are bleeding [/font]
[font=Arial, 'sans-serif'][/font]

Yea wasnt planning on eating them. Seems like everyone I catch bleeds bad. I tried using a larger hook so they wouldn't swallow but the hook ups weren't happening.

Been missing my fly rod and my yak on top of the truck heading for the Caney every weekend or somewhere else.  I'm ready for some warmer weather to return!

Where's the access point where you shot the video?  I surprisingly haven't paddled the stones river and it's right in my backyard virtually.

Edited by Kenstaroni

I'm sure most of the tailwater section of the river is float only. Any locations to wade fish that are accessible from public property?

It appears all the trout streams in the middle TN area are float only. The closest "stocked" wade streams from Nashville appear to be the Nanatahala (Murphy, NC) or Spring River (Mammoth Springs, AR).

I'll give you as much forward notice as I can. Hope to get Neil in on it, too. Maybe he can teach us something.

Just say when. I don't know about teaching much but I can show you how NOT to do a lot of stuff. Generation schedules aren't posted until 5pm the day before, so plan, but be ready to alter if they are blowing it out.

I'm sure most of the tailwater section of the river is float only. Any locations to wade fish that are accessible from public property?

It appears all the trout streams in the middle TN area are float only. The closest "stocked" wade streams from Nashville appear to be the Nanatahala (Murphy, NC) or Spring River (Mammoth Springs, AR).

Caney fork is much closer than either of those. There is tons of wade-able water there. Best place to start is at the dam, then walk downstream on trail to a set of wooden steps, leads you right into the river.

Also look into Elk River.

Go talk to the guys at Fly South off Broadway, you'll have to google the actual address. Or Cumberland transit, those guys wade fish middle tn.
  • Admin Team

I try, but I fear society should fear me and a fly rod. If I don't master this thing, I'll go back to ultra light spinning! I'm not ashamed.........lol

Dave

I finally put my ultralight spinning rig together over the holidays. My mom gave me a much nicer reel than I would have ever bought myself. You better believe I'm bringing it when we go.
  • Like 1
I fish the caney fork a lot by the dam, and happy hollow are two of my favorites. I also like the elk only problem with the elk is for me it is almost an over nighter. Spring summer and fall are great tail water fishing times Andrew at my age if it ain't 70 degrees I ain't going ;) Edited by JoeW
  • Admin Team
There's some good fishing on the Harpeth. I like to run the narrows because after floating for 8 miles, you take out less than 200 meters from where you put in.

Spring is good on the Harpeth. You start having to hunt for water once summer gets here.
  • Like 1

Timestepper got me out on the Clinch. I was hooked! The Caney is much closer (I drove over it going to the Clinch) and it's a beautiful river. It's a two hour drive from here. I really want to go, but know nothing about the place.

Dave

Timestepper got me out on the Clinch. I was hooked! The Caney is much closer (I drove over it going to the Clinch) and it's a beautiful river. It's a two hour drive from here. I really want to go, but know nothing about the place.

Dave

We're gonna meet up down there before spring is over, one way or another.