AR Stripped Lowers In Stock $69

JohnC

That's what I paid for blem metal ones from PSA less than a year ago and seems these Omnis were about $40.

I'm guessing the polymer ones will be the only sub $200 lowers we'll see for some time, surely they must be much quicker to crank out than aluminum. Everybody seems to say they perform fine, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest summertime27

That's what I paid for blem metal ones from PSA less than a year ago and seems these Omnis were about $40.

I'm guessing the polymer ones will be the only sub $200 lowers we'll see for some time, surely they must be much quicker to crank out than aluminum. Everybody seems to say they perform fine, though.

- OS

I'm sure they are a lot faster to produce. But I have talked to several people that had failures with them.... Buyer beware.... sometimes you do get exactly what you pay for.

I'm sure they are a lot faster to produce. But I have talked to several people that had failures with them.... Buyer beware.... sometimes you do get exactly what you pay for.

Still haven't seen the first person online to bad mouth them. Even them manly men on Warrior Talk. ;)

'Bout only neg I've seen is that the Frontiers had excessively tight fit on some of the holes and early complete Plumb Crazies had some plastic internals that could break.

What "failed" in your confab experiences?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

so...I just ordered two but didn't fill out any FFL info. I thought these were firearms. What am I missing?

They are, you need to contact them with FFL you want. You can send and email with your order number, but I would try to call. They aren't the sharpest bunch so be patient, they'll get it to you

There is no stress on the lower. How would it fail?

I know the Plumb Crazys that came complete came with with polymer fire control groups in LPK and some of those internals apparently crapped out.

PSA's been selling the crap out of these Omni's for a year or so 7 months or so, haven't seen anybody really diss them so far.

so...I just ordered two but didn't fill out any FFL info. I thought these were firearms. What am I missing?

The "ship to" needs to be an FFL, and unfortunately, if you don't know that your FFL is already on PSA's registered list, you'll have to get them to fax or maybe email a copy of their license. I did this first time I ever ordered something, found out Bill's Outpost was registered with them, so I've just put in his FFL name and address since, no probs.

THIS link popped up when you put it in cart:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/firearms-agreement3.php

IF you can get PSA on the phone at the FFL check number, they'll tell you whether who you want to use is already on file with them, but sounds like getting someone on phone there is doubtful lately. Their forum on arfcom shows that email comm might also be pretty iffy.

FFL Inquiries/Transfers: 1.803.240.2347 or email: ffl@palmettostatearmory.com

If you just used your own address as ship to, they'll just cancel order once they get around to it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

thanks for the heads up, guys. Looks like I'll be trying to call them tomorrow.

BTW...this is the second purchase today due to posts on TGO. Y'all are going to make me broke!

Guest summertime27

Still haven't seen the first person online to bad mouth them. Even them manly men on Warrior Talk. ;)

'Bout only neg I've seen is that the Frontiers had excessively tight fit on some of the holes and early complete Plumb Crazies had some plastic internals that could break.

What "failed" in your confab experiences?

- OS

A good frieind actually had one that he had SBR"ed. The Upper fractured throwing shards of polymer in his face, broke/cracked the lower in the curve below buffer thread. The weapon was being shot suppressed at the time shooting 5.56 Nato. Luckily he only had superficial wound to his head.( And he is a pretty manly man)  I've shot polymer AR's myself & they cycled fine but after this happening to someone I personally know I shall no more unless its a .22LR..

A good frieind actually had one that he had SBR"ed. The Upper fractured throwing shards of polymer in his face, broke/cracked the lower in the curve below buffer thread. The weapon was being shot suppressed at the time shooting 5.56 Nato. Luckily he only had superficial wound to his head.( And he is a pretty manly man) I've shot polymer AR's myself & they cycled fine but after this happening to someone I personally know I shall no more unless its a .22LR..

Wait, was the upper polymer too? I didn't think such a thing existed. Or did the upper fail, causing the lower to fracture? If the upper failed there was a bigger problem to begin with.

I'm not defending the polymer lower, just trying to clarify the problem. Edited by Lumber_Jack

A good frieind actually had one that he had SBR"ed. The Upper fractured throwing shards of polymer in his face, broke/cracked the lower in the curve below buffer thread. The weapon was being shot suppressed at the time shooting 5.56 Nato. Luckily he only had superficial wound to his head.( And he is a pretty manly man)  I've shot polymer AR's myself & they cycled fine but after this happening to someone I personally know I shall no more unless its a .22LR..

Well, I guess  if ya kaboom an upper all bets are off period.

- OS

• Like 1

PSA sold out of them again, btw. Big surprise, huh?

You can get a whole plastic ATI Omni AR in .22LR for $499.99, though. And use the lower for regular AR, too.

Wish they'd sell just the upper, but haven't been able to find much feedback on the thing yet.

imgp0003-3-2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest summertime27

Wait, was the upper polymer too? I didn't think such a thing existed. Or did the upper fail, causing the lower to fracture? If the upper failed there was a bigger problem to begin with.

I'm not defending the polymer lower, just trying to clarify the problem.

Yes they do exist. The upper & lower both failed.

There is also plenty of pressure on a lower. It is a misconception by some there is not.

Since the explosion takes place in the barrel/barrel extension with the bolt locked into position the majority of the stress on the upper reciever is from the barrel hanging off the front of the upper reciever. the BCG simply reciprocates inside the upper. The upper must be able to maintain alignment with barel extension & bolt to enable proper lockup.

The stress the lower has comes from from the buffer/buffer spring & the constant/repetitive cycling of the weapon. This stress is totaling absorb from the buffertube area on the rear of the lower..... (which is usually where they will fail)

The determination/diagnosis made by an AR armor of the failur was this-

The  lower receiver of the weapon cracked due to fatigue  from spring cyclic pressures creating an alignment issue/potential with the bolt. Not allowing perfect lockup with barrel extension which allowed the eplosion of the round to exit chamber....

The person who owned the weapon is LE.  Of course any diagnosis is just that & we will never know for certain since we didnt have slow motion video footage to prove what actually happened. But his diagnosis made sense to me...

Well I'm no physicist, but I'd say the problem was the polymer upper. The explosion starts in the barrel extension but pressure is still very high while the bolt unlocks. And I can't see the horizontal movement of the buffer and bolt causing enough stress to fracture the buffer mount. Not saying it can't happen or didn't in this case, but I don't see a series of problems. Google " polymer lower failure" and you get shockingly few results, and those that do show up are broken takedown pins.

My biggest fear would be dropping the thing or too much sideways pressure breaking the stock and buffer mount.
Guest summertime27

Well I'm no physicist, but I'd say the problem was the polymer upper. The explosion starts in the barrel extension but pressure is still very high while the bolt unlocks. And I can't see the horizontal movement of the buffer and bolt causing enough stress to fracture the buffer mount. Not saying it can't happen or didn't in this case, but I don't see a series of problems. Google " polymer lower failure" and you get shockingly few results, and those that do show up are broken takedown pins.

My biggest fear would be dropping the thing or too much sideways pressure breaking the stock and buffer mount.

Could be true.... But you are misled believing that there are any relative "gas pressures" in the area of the upper when the bolt is cycling.  The inside of the upper is very open no place to contain/hold pressure. If any meaningful pressures are still exiting the bolt end of an AR there is blockage in the barrel. Left handed & left eye dominant shooters shoot right handed AR's with out any concern of gas pressures exiting the upper thru the ejection port in the upper even thought their face is only an inch or so away.... 

The weapon I described failing had cycled several thousand rounds. Not typical for most folks weapons. Most weapons see a couple hundred rounds a year, maybe..... which I'm sure is fine for polymer but they are iffy for severe/hard use as I'm sure most people realize anyway.

Could be true.... But you are misled believing that there are any relative "gas pressures" in the area of the upper when the bolt is cycling.  The inside of the upper is very open no place to contain/hold pressure. If any meaningful pressures are still exiting the bolt end of an AR there is blockage in the barrel. Left handed & left eye dominant shooters shoot right handed AR's with out any concern of gas pressures exiting the upper thru the ejection port in the upper even thought their face is only an inch or so away.... 

The weapon I described failing had cycled several thousand rounds. Not typical for most folks weapons. Most weapons see a couple hundred rounds a year, maybe..... which I'm sure is fine for polymer but they are iffy for severe/hard use as I'm sure most people realize anyway.

It's not like your buddy is the first person to put thousands of rounds through a polymer lower. If it was a failure issue related to the lower two things would happen:

1. We'd see plenty of stories about it with actual fact, such as photographs/presentations

2. The company would be liable for injuries and damages related to such a failure.... and folks would know about it.
  • Like 1

TMF is right, some people in the gun community raise major cane when a tiny issue arises with guns. I don't see anything wrong with polymer lowers but then again I don't have one and don't plan on getting one.

Never been much for the idea myself, but I've got a pistol upper I've been swapping back and forth with rifle upper on one lower. Was 2/3 of a "kit" idea, but since the panic I can't find a .22LR upper at a price I'd pay to complete it all, so sort of snap decided to give the pistol it's own dedicated lower. Already had a spare pre-panic LPK, and just had to grab a buffer tube and guts, which I found at about same as pre-panic price.

Kinda galls me to pay almost double what these Omnis were just 6 weeks ago, but still about a C note shipped/transferred ain't so bad right now I guess, since looks like it'll be a long wait at best for things to return to "normal".  Also thinking the light weight might "fit in" with pistol okay. Time will tell, I reckon.

- OS

Eh I don't have a problem with the polymer, and I agree with your comment on the pricing. I just personally don't see the need for a polymer lower. If you're trying to cut weight great, or be different great.

Yes unfortunately it will probably be a wait for things to return to "normal"

Speaking of sales, TMF, they have an archer shirt for sale on FB. You probably know that though.

Eh I don't have a problem with the polymer, and I agree with your comment on the pricing. I just personally don't see the need for a polymer lower. If you're trying to cut weight great, or be different great.

Yes unfortunately it will probably be a wait for things to return to "normal"

Speaking of sales, TMF, they have an archer shirt for sale on FB. You probably know that though.

I bought a polymer on a whim. The price was so cheap and I had a few upper receiver parts sitting around, so I figured I'd build a new AR for under $400. I don't suppose I'd buy one for any other reason than to cut price, but now it doesn't seem to matter. Prices are so stupid that my plans to build a couple more ARs is on hold indefinitely.

On another note, already tracking on AJTTOTD shirt on FB. Just the tip...... of the day.