squirrel hunting strategy and tactics

Hunting "mast" trees right now is a bust. Nuts dropped from the trees a couple months ago. Squirrels are feeding on the ground, searching for fallen nuts, seeds and mushrooms growing under the leaf floor. Even digging up stocks planted last year. This is the time of year to watch the ground, not the trees for feeding squirrels.

Dave S

YES.

The one's that I have seen have moved up to higher ground with more fallen trees and hollowed out logs.

But in the first week of January, I was seeing at least 20-40 per day while Deer Hunting.

You guys make me wish I had a place to hunt small game. Between DaveS posting about rabbit hunting and this one including recipes, I am starved and want to shoot something, LOL

You have a very large and very nice WMA right in your yard at Cheatham WMA. Big game, small game and I even think they have a public range. If you live in Ashland City, you're in the middle of some great small game hunting! http://www.tnwildlife.org Speificaly http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/wmaseasons.pdf I hope this helps you out!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
Squirrel hunting man that brings back a lot of memories of me and dad walking around I the woods whe I was a kid. Two ways I have been the most successful. First I will find a spot where there a good number of nut trees hickory nuts are a favorite. They bury them when they fall so they will still be around digging them up this time of year. Find a big tree for a nice back rest. Kick all the dry leaves out of the way down to the dirt so you want make as much noise. Sit real quite 15 to 30 min they will start to move around again.

Now for seeing a lot of them I like to get in the boat and float the river. They for some reason seem to pay you no attention. Can hear them in the woods drop anchor and take your shot. I have seen well over 30 some days doing this. Nice if you have a pooch to run up and retrive them. Don't turn the canoe over and loose your gun. I don't use a canoe any more. Something a bit more stable.

Jason.
I've only ever fooled with the small of the back and the hind legs. Dredge them in egg roll them in flour and pan fry. Cooked like that and served w/ fried eggs and biscuits is the only way I've ever had them.

That dumplin recipe sounds fantastic, though.