DAOTD Award goes to....

He said "I'm a 2nd Amendment advocate". Great, just what we need to help the liberals out, an idiot with an in your face attitude. I guess he thought the libs didn't have enough examples to make their point, he wants to be their poster child. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it a good idea. Hence the darwin awards.

Free speech is about more than being vocal, it includes things you do. Some people need to take the right to remain silent (in word and deed) more seriously.

He sure scored one for the 2nd Amendment, didnt he. I can't believe that people like this exist. The cops shouldn't have even taken the bait and given this guy the satisfaction. If they would have just left when this guy started squawking about various amendments he would have the wind taken out of his sails.
The guy should not have been fishing like this, but ill play devils advocate here. Since open carry is legal where this took place, what would have been wrong with the person taking the calls from the public stating to them that open carry is not a crime in that state and is in fact legal.. Is the person you are observing making threatening gestures with the handgun or is the handgun holstered? Does he seem to be impaired in any way or simply walking beside the highway? At the same time the officers could have simply asked to see his permit to carry, said thank you, and everybody went on their way, like they all did in the end anyway. The guy was fishing no doubt and its pretty obvious the camera had a big part to play in this scenario and led to much more drama during the incident by both sides. The guy seemed sober and was not threatening to the LEOs, just stating facts about his rights after the questions started. The officer stated a city ordinance about being required to answer question like that overrode the fifth amendment. I don't think the fact he was walking along the highway or inside the Walmart the policeman mentioned should have made any difference.

I don't agree with what the guy did, but I'll have to agree with TMF's comment above on this one.
  • Like 1
Yeah, I have a feeling if the younger officer wasn't there the other two officers probably would have handled it better. The younger guy was a little amped up. But it all worked out. The duckweed with the camera got a rise out of some police and he will go home and flog himself in fantasy of what a champion he is of the 2nd Amendment, and the cops will go have lunch at Denny's and talk about what a low life schmuck this idiot was.

Since open carry is legal where this took place, what would have been wrong with the person taking the calls from the public stating to them that open carry is not a crime in that state and is in fact legal.

I think LE still has a duty to verify that there's nothing wrong. The guy said he was walking back and forth along the road. That action can also describe someone with Paranoid Schizophrenia (and other mental health issues) preparing to go off. If the person taking the call did as you suggested, things could have gone bad and they'd have been left holding themselves. Once they verified he was just being a jerk they should have left him alone because that's just what he didn't want.