Headaches with Amazon and my bank

plank white

Well I decided to get a prepaid card so I could start ordering stuff and decided to order a Vortex Sparc RDS off Amazon the add clearly stated 11 left in stock 

so I made the order then paid extra for overnight shipping . The next day I get an email from "Optics Planet" a merchant through Amazon telling me they don't have the optic instock and it may be up to a week or more. well I imediatly turned red feeling like I had been duped by the obvious lie stating they had 11 left in stock . So I called Optics planet and had my order canceled figuring I would just order the optic somewhere else .

That's when I realize that the money is still being held by my bank even though it was never spent so i call my bank and they tell me they can't release my money till Amazon either Faxes them or Emails them with proof that the order was canceled . So i call Amazon and they tell me they can't send any email or fax to anyone but me about my account so it looks like my freaking money will be in Limbo till the 23rd or later . So that just sucks 

I started out this thing wanted to buy an optic and have it shipped overnight and due to Optics planet's false advertisement of having the Optic in stock I now have to wait till the 23rd to get my money released before I can order from someone else  :rant:    /Rant

Edited by plank white

Optics Planet is well known for doing that. Even their own forum (Q&A thingy) is littered with these complaints.

I wanna say that their PoS system doesn't update store quantities with Amazon orders.

They tell people to call them before placing an order to make sure that the desired item is still in stock.

You simply can not beat their pricing, shipping and CS. It's a real shame that they can not get past this issue. It's been an ongoing issue for years.

One advantage of using credit card...even though the charge stays on there, it doesn't limit your buying power on the card, and the payment simply eventually gets credited back to the card.

That is one of the disadvantages of buying non-Amazon fulfilled stuff through Amazon, though. If it's sold by Amazon, card is not charged if not in stock.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I quit ordering anything from Amazon.  After paying shipping  AND taxes (which used to offset) it runs the cost up.  I'd rather order/buy local anyway.

You mean you decided to start paying sales tax on internet orders? Amazon is still not charging sales tax at this time.

Also, everything I've ordered in the last couple of years had the Super Saver free shipping.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Actually they are indirectly.  I've ordered very little from them anyway. Now they send you an email invoice with the amount of tax you owe and a statement that your required to pay the amount on the statement. At least they did on an order my wife made. Maybe it's because there is shipping center in the county I live in.  I usually try to do business locally though anyway if I can.

Actually they are indirectly.  I've ordered very little from them anyway. Now they send you an email invoice with the amount of tax you owe and a statement that your required to pay the amount on the statement. At least they did on an order my wife made. Maybe it's because there is shipping center in the county I live in.  I usually try to do business locally though anyway if I can.

Doesn't matter the county. Every TN customer of Amazon got that notice, as physical presence anywhere in the state requires the entity to charge the tax. They will start charging TN sales tax in 2014. They made a deal with state of TN not to have to charge it until then.

You are supposed to pay sales/use tax on anything bought outside the state, btw.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Maybe it's because there is shipping center in the county I live in.  I usually try to do business locally though anyway if I can.

Buying from Amazon IS buying locally. Feeding 5,000 families in Chattanooga and Cleveland :)

Edited by strickj
A lot of amazon oders are free if you spend 25 $ or more.

I buy about 30 things from amazon a year. I dont like to shop at stores cause I hate crowds. All my gifts and xmas is bought online. Ive never had a problem. After 100+ items from amazon. By the time you get to a store parking lot you could have bought what you needed online. Buy in advance so your not in a hurry for delivery.
  • Like 1

Until the last year of so, I was a diehard, gotta have it in my hands type of shopper.

The crowds, the traffic, the language usually heard in the malls and shops have turned me away from most of it. I did probably 75% online this year. My wife laughs at me. She's been an online shopper for years. 

And yes, we both use Amazon a lot. Love the Super Saver shipping.

I got the Amazon Prime membership and get the free 2 day shipping on most stuff. It's like $80 bucks so not sure how much I'm saving. I got it so the wife could get some free stuff and loan/lend stuff on her Kindle. I might be a sucker for that, but I like getting most of my stuff in just a day or two.