Co-worker says it's illegal to have more than 10,000$ on your person?

timcar86

As much as I agree with you, I can't take that much of a cynical attitude. Not saying you're wrong at all, just that I will always

strive to do what is right in my self interest and try every chance I can to make sure bad influences don't win in the case of

getting or allowing bad laws to continue. May not be much, but there are some things that are worthy fighting against, rather

than just accepting.

It is what it is.

So I don't recall him saying the locals had to pay his lawyer fees. He worried about it for a month or two til the court date, then the lawyer got him off and got his money back, and he said he spent as much on legal fees as the money confiscated, not to mention the worry about the matter and a completely ruined weekend, but it was the principle of the thing. .

I am going into a grey area but if he had a criminal charge he is not entitled to legal fees. If all they did was seize money and did not have a charge it is a civil forfeiture. If he wins the civil case he is entitled to every dime of legal compensation. It is crazy but that's the way the legal system is. The good news is you have good odds of reclaiming the seized money. I have heard just showing that you are employed making $xx a year, is enough to show you could have that much money, especially with bank receipts. A unemployed guy driving a Mercedes across the country with $50k would not cut it.
The Clinton administration did a wonderful job creating an unjust act. Edited by Patton
A little off topic but hope to make some humor here.

A couple yrs back on a hot July night after work I decided to ride my bike to Murfreesboro from manchester and take hwy 99 over to eagleville and head towards home. Well as I was riding down 99 the bugs were bad and so I was making a game out of this, I was actually dodging them ok the best I could safely. Anyhow there had been a car behind me for several miles and after making a few dodges I got blue lighted. So I pull off the rd and a county officer came up asked me for my license. He the proceeded to ask if I had been drinking, I told him no and he wouldn't believe I hadn't been because I was he said weaving and leaving my lane. I asked him did I cross the center line or the line on the edge of the rd, he looked at me confused, I said my lane is in between those two lines. He didn't like my answer, he asked again had I been drinking and again I said no. I don't drink nor do I use drugs, he said I was weaving I then said Oh I was just dodging the bugs coming at me. Now you should had seen the look on his face then. He didn't know what to say he just handed me my license back and said ride safely.
Now he had every right to pull me over yes, but in his questioning when he asked me where I was going and what route was I taking I felt it wasn't any of his business and I just told him I going home. He asked where home was and I said you have it on my license. I'm not one to start trouble but I am one that will give you an answer and you might not like how I word it. I never did tell him my intended path of going home but I did say wherever the rds lead me.
  • Like 1

^He probably didn't even care what you said, he was evaluating your speech, smelling for alcohol and such. I have asked a drunk at 2am where they were going and they told me church.

Why is that not believable?

Churches have wine and the beer store is closed :lol:

Law Enforcement does not seize money because it smells like or has traces of drugs in it. That is an urban legend.

you need to back up your statement with facts.in at least 2 cases in tn 1 a landscaper going to houston to buy plants and 1 in cumberland co moneys were taken kept with no charges.in dickson co this has happened as well even to the level of police and drug task force officers getting into a fight over it .thar was on nashville tv channel 5.its all about the money the county gets to keep part of of the money. if you look at the drug task force people they watch the side of the highway going back to where the drugs come from

• Like 1

Even if those things didn't happen, the law, as it is written, is only an opportunity to extort money from individuals, and give

law enforcement a cash stream and incentive to issue "justice" at the side of a road. It is just as criminal as the criminals

it was originally supposed facilitate putting in jail. Laws can have that additional side effect within a greedy government

circle.

Governments are just as or maybe more susceptible to corruption as any private entity. We can gripe about our federal

government until the cows come home, but when the federal government entices state and local government to get in on

the game, does anyone really think those local governments are any different?

The asset forfeiture and property seizure laws are nothing more or less than criminal activity from the federal state and

local governments. People, quit kidding yourselves.

dlm37015, a dog will sit on any substance that has traces of drugs on it to include clothes, money and even possibly metallics. However dogs are not trained to sniff out money and it is not part of their qualification.
My brother's friend's, second cousin's neighbor, Yadayada.. I do not know those landscapers nor do I know those cops. I try not to watch the news at all because they will present all the facts from one side of a case and not the facts of the other. I grew up around nurseries and have been landscaping on and off most of my life. Most of the landscapers I have met have used drugs, that's the reason they are a landscapers, but anyway I am sure there was more than just the fact they had money that led the police to believe they were rotten.

dlm37015, a dog will sit on any substance that has traces of drugs on it to include clothes, money and even possibly metallics. However dogs are not trained to sniff out money and it is not part of their qualification.

There are plenty of agencies with dogs trained to detect cash.

the landscaper is a very well known case here in nashville. the one in cumberland co was on the local news he was going to buy a car .i dont make this up i can prove it. in my case it was the shelby co drug interdiction team  9 cops 6 machine guns and me no dont tell me they are nice btw there was a very good cash settelment out of that

All it takes is one instance of a cop behaving like this is some kind of good behavior to use these laws against another

American citizen to make it completely wrong, and there have been plenty of cases to choose from to make it unjustifiable

in all cases. These laws are a dangerous affront to everyone's liberty. I doubt there is anyone in this country who could

assert to me otherwise without first spilling his own self-interest  in keeping a law like this on the books. You can't have

a law specifically targeting a certain group of individuals like this without it spreading to other groups. Laws are written

intentionally vague to allow it to happen. It's called power. It's moral bankruptcy when laws like this are allowed to exist.

When one group benefits over another it is nothing but a breeding ground for further tyranny.

Patton, those dogs can be trained for a lot of things. Dogs are loyal. Dogs are also used by corrupt cops to intimidate

law abiding citizens on occasion, also. Ever heard of someone threatening to call the k-9 to get someone to submit to a

search?

Give me a reason to trust. Don't just expect me to.

For whom?

I'm pretty sure it is the state qualifying them but what is important is the officer can not testify that his k-9 is certified to find money.

I know some of the traffic interdiction units have dogs but most do not. They rely solely on intuition and intel which finds them a lot. Edited by Patton

Most money in circulation is tainted with drugs.
That coupled with other facts can lead to probable cause, but not by itself.

If that is true, about it making it to the probable cause, then anyone anywhere is subject to being arrested on a drug charge,

without ever having been around the illicit drug trade. Yeh, that sounds real good.

Just one more reason to get rid of the law. Just another word for entrapment.

i travel a lot with cash. i refuse to bank with bank of america. its no longer legal to wire money to yourself from a bank you do not have an account with.

i always carry guns i shouldnt have to put up with the drug task force of some local wanting to search my truck.but its not that way if you get pulled over  for

some rwason or the other you are usually told or ask it would make me feel better if you would let me or us search your truck.makes me sick you want to pull me

over give me a ticket fine but do your job and let me go btw i havent had a ticket in 20 years .i get pulled over on avrage about 2 times a year same old thing

it would make me feel better if you would let me search your truck it gets old

I wonder how many times out of the tens of thousands of time these laws get used each year, does a local pad their department?

I know the federal government makes literally billions and share it throughout the agencies who "procure" it. If you or I did that, it

would be called theft. The Bill of Rights must not mean anything anymore.

I don't remember guest starring on "Scarface" with Al Pacino.

I'm pretty sure it is the state qualifying them but what is important is the officer can not testify that his k-9 is certified to find money.

That just doesn't make any sense to me. DHS has a boatload of dogs imprinted on cash. I would assume the standards for certification would be the same for narc and explosives detection dogs. Why have a capability and not standards of certification? That defies logic.

This has gotten a little out of hand. You don't have a reason to fear riding around with a little cash in your wallet, not from the police anyway. You do not want to ride around with $100k in the trunk of a car that is not yours with no proof of where it came from and no proof of what it is for. Actually, when money like this is seized the driver more often than not cant tell the police how much is there or they completly deny the money was there. The police would be a damn fool to give $32k back to a guy that doesn't own the car he's driving that says it isn't my money and I dont know where it came from. Don't hide $32k under the spare tire either.

You can have 10 grand or a million on you.you don't have to say a word to anyone either to give them probable cause,or terry BS initiated searches..drive through Williamson or Dickson co and get stopped by the money pups, they'll work you over forever trying to get the greenbacks into that suv or patrol car....if you really wanna see if its legal to carry 10 grand,put a sombrero on and drive 55 westbound on a tue or wed and stare at the suv in the median at the 840 exit.It will then become illegal to carry 10 K in cash on you.....in their world.........Its not out of hand, its called interdiction.In Williamson and Dickson county its called drug enforcement.......The police wont give back 32 K unless theres a good attorney behind it.Dickson county claims poverty but they have more K9's and SUVs then Shelby co,literally, highway money and rogues forcing folks to give it up under threat of incarceration. Thats why chan 5 jumped it along with racial profiling.

• Like 1

If that is true, about it making it to the probable cause, then anyone anywhere is subject to being arrested on a drug charge,
without ever having been around the illicit drug trade. Yeh, that sounds real good.

Just one more reason to get rid of the law. Just another word for entrapment.

That isn’t what I said. I said it is a factor that with others can lead to Probable cause for a warrant or a search. There are a couple of SCOTUS decisions on it. They don’t need to have roadside “Beyond reasonable doubt” just enough to articulate probable cause in an evidentiary hearing. That also needs to include the dogs training and track record.

This is one of the rare cases where there is no law to “Get rid of”; it’s one where we need a law. We need a law that says If the Officer isn’t making an arrest he can’t seize the money. If he seizes the money for an “Investigation” the DA has a reasonable amount of time (specified in the law) to file charges or return the money in full.

If it’s a very large amount of money; you may have to deal with the IRS.