an Interesting Mosin find 1943 Hex

I picked up an interesting Mosin tonight.

I got a Hex Receiver stamped 1943.  I am going to be taking it apart to clean it really good so I will look for other marking on the other side as well.

It has Tula marking.  From what I read, Germany took the Tula plant in 41 and Russia got it back in 43.

It has other marking on it too, it might be a remarked/wartime reconditioned and may have another factor mark on it as well.

I have a feeling it is going to be interesting what I find when I see any other markings.

Edited by vontar
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The receiver isnt stamped 1943, the barrel is. Look under the tang to see when receiver was made. It has been rebarreled but is still an uncommon find. Congrats.

That makes sense.  When I clean it, I expect to find another date, probably mid 30's.

All the metal parts have a serial number inscribed on them that match. I believe this is called Force Matched, usually post war.

The Russians removed the equipment from the Tula plant in ca.1941 due to the proximity of the German army to the Moscow region, however there are known examples of Tula markings showing up on 1942 and 1943 weapons as the machinery was moved to the Urals and used to manufacture rifles.  The markings may have been applied prior to the barrel dating, as that was not generally done before mating the barrel to a receiver, or it may have been applied by the Tula machinists in their relocated factories.  It's also not unknown (although rare) for hex receivers to be used during the war.  The most likely explanation is a re-barrel, but the rifle could have been assembled as found.  Is it in 91/30 configuration?

OK, I started to take it down and as soon as I got the got the forearm apart I noticed no one has taken it down that far and really give it a good first cleaning.  Cosmo on the barrel.  I had noticed I could see cosmo in the bolt so I kinda expected this.

I am not ready to get into cosmo tonight.

I looked closer, the better has the Tula markings from 43.

The Hex receiver has another factory symbol for Hammer and  sickle from Izhevsk (Soviet Union).

So far not finding this combo on http://7.62x54r.net.

OK, I started to take it down and as soon as I got the got the forearm apart I noticed no one has taken it down that far and really give it a good first cleaning.  Cosmo on the barrel.  I had noticed I could see cosmo in the bolt so I kinda expected this.

I am not ready to get into cosmo tonight.

I looked closer, the better has the Tula markings from 43.

The Hex receiver has another factory symbol for Hammer and  sickle from Izhevsk (Soviet Union).

So far not finding this combo on http://7.62x54r.net.

You won't.  It's been refurbed at some time, the armorers used whatever parts would pass muster to put it back together.

The '41 Tula is the desirable rifle. There were very limited rifles built that year.

I worked at an importer for quite a while. We received 10s of 1000s of 91/30s in just the last few years. When we would uncrate to engrave the import mark, we would look for the '41 Tula's. They won't be hex receivered either. When the war started, round receivers were the order of the day. Much easier to manufacture. And usually cruder looking.