Coffee shops/ restaurant blocking website domains related to guns and weapons

Stopped by "frothy monkey" in Franklin for breakfast and coffee.

Free wireless however with any website related to guns or weapons such as this forum "blocked by system administrator"

Interesting they do not block violent gaming websites or websites related to alcohol etc.

Their system, their dime, so they can set it up any way they want...but I told them they lost a customer and would spread the word.
  • Like 9
Across from old post office near 5 points.

Manager did say she would discuss my concerns with owners. I plan on checking back in a week or so just to see if anything changes...the food is good...but really I have had enough of the nanny state permeating every facet of life.
  • Like 1

Is their coffee any good? With a name like that, I would imagine the menu would include "Amazon Roast"

and "Tree Frog Nectar". Maybe some "Wildebeast Urine"? :D Kinda silly, but so is blocking a gun related site.

Edited by 6.8 AR

Noted and will avoid in the future, unless you post an update saying they've changed the policy, and have given you a free medium "wildebeast urine" for your troubles. 

If not, maybe you should take your computer in and load some really loud, violent, obnoxious gaming website while you drink some Starbucks coffee?

Across from old post office near 5 points.

Manager did say she would discuss my concerns with owners. I plan on checking back in a week or so just to see if anything changes...the food is good...but really I have had enough of the nanny state permeating every facet of life.

Ok try this..when you get to a network that is not blocked, ping your fav gun websites... open up a command prompt and type ping whateverdomain.com. the number that comes back will be the website address.. when you go to your local commie Coffee shop pop open your browser and type in the IP address,, that is the number you got from the ping command and see what happens..

Ok try this..when you get to a network that is not blocked, ping your fav gun websites... open up a command prompt and type ping whateverdomain.com. the number that comes back will be the website address.. when you go to your local commie Coffee shop pop open your browser and type in the IP address,, that is the number you got from the ping command and see what happens..

Most URL/content filters are capable of doing reverse DNS lookups as well. This might work but I wouldn't bet a cup of coffee on it.

I always complain.  What I have found is that many of these places use a software program or service that blocks these by default.  I have generally found that places will change the settings, but can't do it if you don't gripe.  You may be one of the first people to ever try to search a gun related website in their business.

I always complain. What I have found is that many of these places use a software program or service that blocks these by default. I have generally found that places will change the settings, but can't do it if you don't gripe. You may be one of the first people to ever try to search a gun related website in their business.

I agree. I spent a lot of time at Erlanger Women's East hospital on gunbarrel road in Chattanooga when my wife was having some surgeries. TGO and anything gun related was blocked. I sent a polite email to them, and they sent a polite one back saying they removed the block! I responded with a thank you email and enjoyed the Web.

The building is still posted though :( Edited by Batman

Gunbarrel Road. Now that's funny!

It's right down from Shogun and Target, too. :)

I've found that most free wi-fi places have blocks on gun related sites. Always found it ironic (Alanis Morissette ironic) that Krystals, a company born and bred in the south, blocks gun sites, but McDonalads, a Cali company, does not block them.

:crazy:

Most URL/content filters are capable of doing reverse DNS lookups as well. This might work but I wouldn't bet a cup of coffee on it.

a lot of these places do go the low tech low cost route of using opendns as a filter, if so you can use google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4 4) or another fast 4.2.2.2 & 4.2.2.3 as your Dns in network settings. Edited by red dirt

That will rarely work for most sties because most web servers will use vhosts to serve many sites on a a single IP.  

• Like 2