Confronted by 2 loose pitbulls today...

Guest JCE

Guest bob-e

People who train are generally sharper than people who don't, thus everyone should train more. Good point. Thanks. As far as a sharpshooter being intimidating to a cop with lesser skill, I think they could really give a rat's ass. I think that's more like ego projection.

The police officer mentioned in the original post was definately wrong for what he said, but I think you're reading way too much into it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that innate reflexes, visual acuity and overall physical & mental aptitude do play a role in how quickly some people learn...

Proficiency is not proportional to the number of hours spent training... though it does reduce the relative time it would otherwise take to master a given action.

I would much rather learn from someone who has actually had to use their skills to survive, than a person who has taken 1200hrs of classes, from people who have taken 1200hrs of classes... Even though the content is likely very similar between the two, the attitude and perspective of the instruction won't be.

I know people love their dogs and Pit owners tend to be very loyal to their pets... but I've got a cure for the ones that attack people unprovoked. You can guarantee that any large dog that comes near me or my family with a menacing air about it will get introduced to at least two.

Right there with ya.

I told the cop my story and the first thing he does is remind me how discharging a gun in the city limits is a crime and if I'd shot the dog I'd be cited and that's what animal control is for yada...yada...yada,

As a “reasonable person†were you in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm?

I consider myself to be a reasonable person and I would say… YES. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest SMSTRICK
in my own yard no less :bow:

Went down to the mailbox, as I closed the lid and turned back towards the house there were my white-trash neighbors two pitbulls facing off at me

and barking in a threatening manner, and blocking the way back up to the house.

I promptly drew my trusty G19 and held it at low ready, the first one to lunge

at me was fixin to get popped, I think they sensed I meant business because they held back at about 20'.

Then I remembered my cell was in my pocket, so I called 911 and told them to send me a cop ASAP, I advised the dispatcher I had a gun permit and was armed.

About that time a kid from the house where the dogs lived was coming across the yard to retrieve the wayward mutts, I reholstered my weapon lest I be

charged with "brandishing in the presence of a child" or something stupid like that, plus I could see the cops coming from a distance and did not want to be holding a gun when they rolled up, could lead to bad things.

So the kid took the dogs in his house and the police and dog warden arrived, I told the cop my story and the first thing he does is remind me how discharging a gun in the city limits is a crime and if I'd shot the dog I'd be cited and that's what animal control is for yada...yada...yada:rolleyes:, he seemed more concerned that I MIGHT have shot the dogs, rather that I might have been attacked by them, guess he's never seen the results of being mauled by

vicious dogs before :)

At that point I calmly reminded him that I DIDN'T shoot the dog, although I

was fully prepared to, and I wasn't going to wait around for animal control to arrive while the dogs jaws are clamped on my nuts worrying about a stupid unlawful discharge citation, and I'd gladly take it to a jury.

So they go over to the offending neighbors, warn them not to let the dogs run loose anymore or else...we'll see:rolleyes:

But the demeanor of that cop really pissed me off, I don't know if it's because he's anti-CCW or just a prick

What is the appeal of pitbulls?, it seems like the trouble ones are owned

by the white-trash/black thugster crowd, out to show the neighborhood

how tough they are with their "badass" dog :D

And for those responsible pitbull owners, my rant's not directed at you;)

Ok, I feel better now...thanks for reading

JCE

You know,....it would also probably be against the law to fire a weapon within city limits while putting a couple of rounds into the chest of a naked car jacker with a butcher knife. :up:

If you would have indeed fired the weapon to defend yourself and the police charged you,....then that would be proof that in todays times, WE DO NOT HAVE A JUSTICE SYSTEM , WE HAVE A LEGAL SYSTEM. Yes, ....he indeed could have charged you if your firearm had been discharged, but no justice would have been served.

I am very happy that everything turned out o.k. for you. But,....there is a lesson to be leaerned here . Always carry,...even to the mailbox. I do,...and for the same exact reason. My next door neighbor has a pit bull that sometimes roams. He has never presented a problem, but I do not trust the breed.

Guest Phantom6

SMSTRICK wrote: ....then that would be proof that in todays times, WE DO NOT HAVE A JUSTICE SYSTEM , WE HAVE A LEGAL SYSTEM.

That has always been so. Not just in today's times. Justice and actual truth have little to do with it. It's all about resolution. If you happen to find either justice or truth during the resolution of a problem then you won the celestial coin toss that day. Don't believe me? Go to court, sit through a couple of trials and see for yourself.

About a week after my ordeal the same dogs got loose and accosted my neighbors across the road, cop/dog catcher came out again and took the dogs away, they had to pay a hefty fine to get them back.

I guess that finally straightened them up, they fortified the flimsy pen, made it higher and more escape proof, and so far I haven't seen them loose anymore. Plus the fact that the dogs will be gone for good if AC has to

come back.

I still arm myself when I go outside.

Guest Loaded247

My attitude on such matters has always been exceedingly simple: If the dog leaves me and mine alone, then I will leave the dog alone. If the dog messes with me and mine, then I will mess with the dog.....

I'm 5'3" and 200 lbs. I'm NOT going to waste my time 'fooling' myself thinking I can outrun the dog. I teach defensive tactics, and I can Bench Press 335, but I am not going to gamble that I can 'outfight' the dog with my bare hands. I'm fairly good with the pistol...in addition to being a firearms instructor, I practice a LOT, and I'm always armed. Still, with a dog 20 feet away, glaring and growling? I'm not going to gamble on my ability to draw from concealment and hit (and STOP) a charging dog at such distances. Might I be able to do it? Maybe, but if I lose such a gamble, I would lose BAD, so the pistol is ALREADY in my hand.

The original poster handled the matter very well, and the comment by the officer was uncalled for. If I'm faced by a vicious animal in such instances, my fear that I will suffer death or serious bodily injury is REASONABLE, and I will use Deadly Force to protect myself in such an instance. This is all in accordance with our current law. Getting a citation for discharging a weapon in defense of my life in this situation? GIVE ME THE CITATION. At least in this situation, by the Grace of GOD (and the application of skillfull, timely use with a good pistol) I will be ABLE to deal with the matter in court. The alternative is not very pleasant.

Once again, if the dog leaves me and mine alone, then I will leave the dog alone. If the dog messes with me and mine, then I will mess with the dog.......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c.a.s.

For that very reason mt uncle in Kentucky keeps a loaded .357. He doesn't carry, but he does keep it handy at the house. Just down the street from him is a rather nasty pit bull that gets extremely mean if you step within one mile of the yard he's in, though he hasn't chased his kids yet. He's waitin' for the day that it steps in his yard after his kids. HE served full time in the Army, and hates screwing around with violent people/animals.

I don't know about Kentucky, but in Tennessee, the dog wouldn't have to step in your uncle's yard before action could be taken. Under Tennessee Code, as soon as the dog steps off of its yard the owner is in violation of the law.

44-8-408. Dogs not allowed at large — Exception. —

It is unlawful for any person to allow a dog belonging to or under the control of such person, or that may be habitually found on premises occupied by the person, or immediately under the control of such person, to go upon the premises of another, or upon a highway or upon a public road or street; provided, that this section and § 44-8-409 shall not apply to a dog on a hunt or chase, or on the way to or from a hunt or chase, nor to a dog guarding or driving stock, or on the way for that purpose, nor to a dog being moved from one (1) place to another, by a person owning or controlling a dog; provided, that the foregoing exemptions shall not apply unless all damages done by dogs therein exempted, to the person or property of another, shall be paid or tendered to the person so damaged, or to the person's agent, within thirty (30) days after the damage is done.

[Acts 1901, ch. 50, § 1; 1903, ch. 419, § 1; Shan., § 2853a4; Code 1932, § 5086; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 44-1408, 44-8-108.]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RN MEDIC

Ice, the cop was quite possibly/probably either some young snot eager to show his "authority", or even worse a YANKEE exhibiting those same traits. Sounds like that would be a real good town (like this one) to move OUT OF.

Consider getting some good stout FOX brand pepper spray to try. Now if that were to FAIL, then SHOOT THE DOG, but get a .45 as I've seen it take a full magazine of 9mm to bring down a big determined mean dog like a pit bull.

In the mean time, I'd probably leave off the letter to the editor. Just focus on holding a very low profile. Let this little cop wash out and move on. He'll probably not still be there this time next year as they don't get paid anything and they move around a lot. Better now days in this time of "Police State" mentality to not stand out.

Oh as to what to call the system down at the court house; Rather than even a legal system, as so much of what is commonly done down there day in/day out, I prefer to call it a "court system." Much is not legal though commonly done so that don't fit. Also, it's DEFINITELY not a "Justice System" as there is precious little justice to be had within it. They DO hold "court" down there though so just calling it a "court" system is probably better. BELIEVE ME folks, I know where of I speak as our family has already suffered the "lash of the tyrant"

Remember there is a "BOSS HOGG" in every little community these days and Weakley county/Dresden city is no exception. Anytime they get tired of you all it takes is for one guy to come over and "place" a controlled substance on your property just to be found later with you to field the consequences. I don't know that they do/don't will/won't up there, but there is NOTHING to prevent that from happening to you/me/or anyone else if we get "on their nerves/under their skin." Thus, just keep a low profile.

Hope it works out in your favor.

Respectfully, RN