Does new brass need trimming?

I thought I had all the bits and pieces in place, sat down to attempt my first batch and discovered that I need a few case length guages. I have some new brass I ordered early on, just wondering if it's dependably manufactured to proper length. Having read a reloading book by Lee, I understand the necessity of trimming previously fired brass. Thanks for insights.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It should not need to be trimmed.  Should and does are not the same word -- its always possible that you could get some that was out of spec, but not likely.

You should not need case length gauges for general purpose reloading.  If its a type of brass that needs to be trimmed (necked cases) then you should have a trimmer for it.  The trimmer will produce cases that are shorter than or at most the length set on the trimmer.  If you set the trimmer up correctly (and some, like lee drill trimmers, do not need any effort here), then, you don't need a case gauge to double check your work (at most a micrometer will do).

My bench operates on absolutes the words could,would,should are never mentioned in my reloading area ,you can call it OCD but it does minimize the chances of problems. The Bench isn't the place for anything other than certainty and focused attention to detail.

new brass is made on machines that wear setup by humans that can make mistakes

I always process new/range find bottleneck rifle cases as if they have been fired :

tumble(if needed)

resize,check/remove primer crimp

uniform flash hole

set trimmer to trim to length and trim if neccessary,deburr

load

John

Edited by LngRngShtr