IDPA at Cleveland Pistol Club?

Guest RevScottie

...so if there are a large number of shooters the finish time is around 2:30pm? If so it hardly seems worth the time to maybe get to shoot for what 5 minutes? Seems like time would be better managed by running 2 different groups , one group from 10-12 and a second from 12-2. Wouldn't this make for a lot less down time?

...so if there are a large number of shooters the finish time is around 2:30pm? If so it hardly seems worth the time to maybe get to shoot for what 5 minutes? Seems like time would be better managed by running 2 different groups , one group from 10-12 and a second from 12-2. Wouldn't this make for a lot less down time?

Master class shooters shoot maybe 90 seconds at a 7 stage match. If you wanna shoot go to the range if you wanna compete or socialize go to a IDPA/USPSA match.

• Like 1

Have you ever shot in a IDPA match? I'm guessing not. There's plenty to do in between shooters (pasting targets,scoring, etc.) and there's plenty to learn (what to do as well as what not to do) while other people are shooting. Edited by BrasilNuts

There was plenty of things to do between matches plus it was nice to make new friends who enjoy shooting.  I went with a couple of friends Saturday.  One had shot IDPA once before last year sometime and the rest of us had never been to an event.  All three of us had a great time and I think there will be 5 of us next month (two more newbies).

Guest RevScottie

Have you ever shot in a IDPA match? I'm guessing not. There's plenty to do in between shooters (pasting targets,scoring, etc.) and there's plenty to learn (what to do as well as what not to do) while other people are shooting.

You would be guessing wrong :)

I have been to smaller matches and thought they were OK but spending almost 5 hours at the range and mostly pasting targets ain't my idea of time well spent on a Saturday. I know several competitors who said they will not return to Cleveleand because of the large crowd and long wait times.

What would be wrong with splitting the match up to where there is less waiting around? The way these matches currently run it's like everyone showing up to play golf with the same tee time.

You would be guessing wrong :)

I have been to smaller matches and thought they were OK but spending almost 5 hours at the range and mostly pasting targets ain't my idea of time well spent on a Saturday. I know several competitors who said they will not return to Cleveleand because of the large crowd and long wait times.

What would be wrong with splitting the match up to where there is less waiting around? The way these matches currently run it's like everyone showing up to play golf with the same tee time.

Volunteer and go work it if you think they need the help. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 4

....spending almost 5 hours at the range and mostly pasting targets ain't my idea of time well spent on a Saturday. I know several competitors who said they will not return to Cleveleand because of the large crowd and long wait times.

Maybe you all should go fishing then.

I've shot at Cleveland twice with around 70 shooters each time. I personally didn't feel it was crowded or taking too long.

If you have a squad...

1) Man in the Hole
2) Man on Deck
3) Shooter
4) RSO
5) Score Keeper
6) Paster
7) Paster

Seems like seven would be the perfect number for a squad?

So, find seven friends go out Saturday morning set up 5 stages, run your 7 through each stage, and tear down 5 stages.

Let me know what time you finish up.

Doubt you'll spend much time standing around. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1
Guest RevScottie

What is so wrong with the idea of reducing the wait time? If it is already this crowded you have reached the point that you are going to stop attracting any new shooters to the sport, or at least to this particular venue.

Last match I attended I didn't even shoot at it but I helped paste as well as tear down. I don't mind helping out or hanging around and watching, talking, etc. but there comes a time when growth isn't managed well that the hassle outweighs the entertainment value for me.

I think you're the only one saying its too crowded.

As I've stated before I've shot there twice.

Feb. match started at 10-10:30 and we were leaving at 12:00.

March match started at 10:30 and we were leaving 1:30.

Maybe the matches your friends shot in were unusually crowded.

From my limited experience Cleveland has a good quick match YMMV.

I think NASCAR races take too long, but I guess it just takes as long as it takes to go 500 miles
Guest RevScottie

Maybe its just the guys I've talked too and they went on an extra crowded day. I know they did indicate that it was a very long day (probably close to 3 finish time) and they said they wouldn't be going back unless things changed.

You'd lose it if you shot at ORSA after the time change but before the weather gets really cold. Get there about 9:30 for final set up and BS. Shoot 7 and get outta there bout 3:30 or 4 and that's just tearing down your last stage. At least with a large crowd you don't have to run out and paste every time. USPSA gets to be like work when there isn't enough to work a stage smooth.