• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike P

Cerakote is not all it's cracked up to be. If you would like I could show you some pictures of my cerakoted G17 and how miserably it's failed. After my personal experience with cerakote and seeing personally others duracoat jobs fail. I'll never go down that avenue again. I regret ever doing it.

If your gun is a safe queen it might be a good thing. I you actually use your weapon.....not so much. It's not as tough as advertized and when it does wear It looks horrible. I would much rather have the natural finish all beat up.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Mike P

Hmmm, I had mine done in a satin stainless color (cerakote) and it turned out well.  I've only put 300 down the pipe since, but it held up well. so far.  Looks pretty sharp too.

Edited by TMF
Guest Mike P

Hmmm, I had mine done in a satin stainless color (cerakote) and it turned out well.  I've only put 300 down the pipe since, but it held up well. so far.  Looks pretty sharp too.

Mine was awesome looking to when it was finished. About 500 rounds into it is when it started. Over 5k now and it looks bad. The biggest exterior blemish came from practicing one handed manipulations. It now wears a huge scar on top of the slide from a clip on my Cold Steel knife that was in my pocket. It even has worn off the grip from me using it for CCW and my shirt in constant contact with it and of course the trigger guard from draw practice.

Edited by Mike P

TMF, mind posting a pic?

My pistol is geographically unavailable at the moment.  If you give me a couple weeks I can send a pic to you.  Unfortunately I never took a picture of it.  It does look good though. 

Guest summertime27

Cerakote is not all it's cracked up to be. If you would like I could show you some pictures of my cerakoted G17 and how miserably it's failed. After my personal experience with cerakote and seeing personally others duracoat jobs fail. I'll never go down that avenue again. I regret ever doing it.

If your gun is a safe queen it might be a good thing. I you actually use your weapon.....not so much. It's not as tough as advertized and when it does wear It looks horrible. I would much rather have the natural finish all beat up.

Just my $0.02

^^^^^^This^^^^

Cerakote or Duracoat basically = a high grade of paint no matter how you spill the beans... I do think it looks great on rifles & pistols.... But I've never seen one that didn't spend most of it's life in a safe that still looked good after a few short years or less of regular use. Not a good investment for you or your weapon. There are much better options for protective finishes on weapons than paint..... The other options may cost a bit more initially & not every guy with an airbrush & an oven in his garage can do it but in the long run you & your weapon will be much better off!

Edited by summertime27

It depends alot on who does the Cerakote for you.

Brandon at Middle Tennessee Gunsmithing has done a couple of Cerakote jobs for me.  I've been very pleased with the work and the durability of the finish.

Here is a stainless Kimber Team Match 1911 that Brandon did the lower for me in HK Black.  After a couple of thousand rounds and several IDPA matches - - - I can see No Wear on the finish.

xdgz6h.jpg

BTW - - - Colt now uses Cerakote as a finish on their guns. 

My carry weapon,  Colt LW Commander.  Lower in Cerakote by Colt. 

2dugw7d.jpg

Not as many rounds as the Kimber above, but coming up on a year of everyday carry so alot of time in the holster.

I see zero wear on the Cerakote.

Edited by DMark

With cerakote its all about prep work so make sure you trust who is doing it and that they don't take shortcuts in the prep work.  Cerakote is thinner than duracoat which i think is a good thing, so I always choose it. I had Brandon do my cerakoting as well.  I have my patrol rifle done in black, my bolt action done in multi-cam and my para ord double stack 1911 done in sniper grey and satin aluminum or stainless i can't remember.

in this picture look at my 1911 on the top and look specifically at the difference in the thread protector, trigger, and hammer versus the polished barrel (which is polished stainless).  The thread protector, trigger, and hammer were done in either stainless or satin aluminum but i can't remember which.

332993_10151087756351460_209178519_o.jpg

I have a Savage 10PC that is cerakoted OD and it has been somewhat abused and it looks perfect still.  Far from a safe queen.

I think alot of it is what has been said already, it's all in who does it and the prep work that was done.