How to SAFELY Sell A Rifle?

Long story here, but I need feedback on how to do sell a Winchester Model 100 safely and ethically.

My father, who died in 1991, had deer hunted wtih this gun. The following notice came out about the gun in 1990:

WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL - A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following

“PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE. Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester. It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE. Repair and replacement. A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below. Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be at your cost.â€

I know my dad did not send the gun back for a new firing pin; he was too ill in the last stages of cancer to even think about it.

I have done all the requisite calling to get the gun repaired; one authorized gunsmith in AR whose shop no longer works on these guns told me an interesting story. It seems that some of these "authorized" repairers will look at the gun, offer to replace the firing pin, but also include a list of other things that are wrong with the gun that are NOT free. If you refuse to pay the price for the secondary work, they will not certify the gun as safe, even though the only issue is the firing pin. Thus, you get hijacked for more money that is not particularly needed.

All I want to do is sell this rifle, and I plan to sell it "as is", but I want to sell it ethically and safely.

Suggestions, please, about how I should proceed?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I would get it fixed. If that is not an option, I would only sell the gun after you write out a letter stating that the new owner knows about the issue you have mentioned. At the time of purchase, meet the person at a local Notary Public.

I'm not sure the new buyer would have any legal recourse if he or someone else gets injured and/or dies while using this gun, but with all the sue happy SOB walking around, I wouldn't take even the slightest of chances.

Just my :D

Guest Verbal Kint

I'd treat this exactly like an auto sale. Either sell it AS-IS with a written, signed, statement... both parties... or have it fixed before selling it. The potential liability, otherwise, is just too large of a risk IMO. In this day of age, cover your own ass.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest eyebedam

Is there no way a local gunsmith could do this for you? Will they not just send you the pin so you can have the repair done locally?

Is there no way a local gunsmith could do this for you? Will they not just send you the pin so you can have the repair done locally?

From what I have been told, the entire gun has to be shipped to an "authorized service center." They will not send the part itself.

I'd treat this is exactly like an auto sale. Either sell it AS-IS with a written, signed, statement... both parties... or have it fixed before selling it. The potential liability, otherwise, is just too large of a risk IMO. In this day of age, cover your own ass.

I well may just have to take my chances with the authorized service people.

As you say, the potential liability is great.

Even if a seller accepts the gun "as is" and it blows up on him . . .

From what I have been told, the entire gun has to be shipped to an "authorized service center." They will not send the part itself.

You can't let the story of one guy keep you from getting it fixed. If nothing else, contact Winchester with your concerns about the potential issues with the authorized gunsmith. Winchester is paying them to do a job. I'm sure Winchester is more than willing to do whatever it takes to fix this problem.

Here is an authorized service center in TN.

W.H. McGuns 124 North 22nd Ave Humboldt TN, 38343 ph 731-784-5746

If you don't already have the link to the list, here it is. http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/arcs.asp

There seems to be several in TN and surrounding states.

You are just a great guy, Triple. Thanks so much. I'll call them tomorrow.

My original call to Winchester did not give me a TN option.

Yeah . . . I really should get it fixed . . . ARRGHHHHHHHHH . . . I expect to be "held up" by some out of state gunsmith as I discussed above.

Really, if you are going to get held up by a gunsmith make sure it is one of our own.!!

Just kidding…. :rolleyes: I think you may be worrying about something that will not happen. BS stories flow like water on the internet.

Really, if you are going to get held up by a gunsmith make sure it is one of our own.!!

Just kidding…. :D I think you may be worrying about something that will not happen. BS stories flow like water on the internet.

Dave - the problem that I was told about was indeed a shop in AR that used to do warrenty service for Winchester on this issue; they alerted me to the possibility of being charged for other things because the firing pin issue is free. If you fail to do the other work, they will "claim" the gun remains unsafe without the additional repairs, and thus, will not certify the repair. Hopefully the gunsmith TripleDigitRide found in Humboldt won't be this way.

Guest abailey362

you could also have a local gunsmith "certify" the gun safe, pending this repair and send in his documets with the rifle for repair. If they still tried to get one over on you, winchester can easily remove their authorized servicer status.

Sell the gun 'as is' and move on.

I can't imagine that any honest gunsmith would "certify" a gun as being safe, whatever that means. I don't know of a smith that has the equipment that would enable him to make such a wide ranging statement nor one that insurance that would cover such a representation.