What to get?

I am shopping for a new toy. I have wanted one of Cold Steels 1917 cutlasses for a while. I am close to pulling the trigger and wandered into several videos that Cold Steel did on their various products. Now I am torn between their Grosse Messer, 1917 Cutlass, and any one of their sabers. Anyone have a favorite. Just looking for some other points of view. Thanks guys!

I never have and never will own anything from Cold Steel, Lynn Thompson the owner is the reason. If you knew what I do about him and their product you would stay away from them

Please share. I've carried Cold Steel knives at work for years, and always had good luck with them. The one time I did have an issue, they replaced the knife in 4 days. I

If there's something shady, I'd rather not spend more money with them.

Please share. I've carried Cold Steel knives at work for years, and always had good luck with them. The one time I did have an issue, they replaced the knife in 4 days. IIf there's something shady, I'd rather not spend more money with them.

Just the things that Lynn has said over the years. He outsources his knives and claims that he makes them himself. He bad mouths several knife companies that make a far better product and if you ever see one of his videos he caters to mall ninjas. I met the man and found him to be an arrogent obnoxious person so I have never bought any of their knifes. Having said this I have heard several people like yourself that have nothing but praise for their company

Please share. I've carried Cold Steel knives at work for years, and always had good luck with them. The one time I did have an issue, they replaced the knife in 4 days. I

If there's something shady, I'd rather not spend more money with them.

Some folks don't like Cold Steel because of their "mall ninja" advertising, other folks don't like Cold Steel because they copy/rip off other knife makers designs.

Most folks will however agree that Cold Steel does make mostly decent products, that are sold for mostly decent prices.
Yeah, there are definitely better knives out there, and I get the whole "mall ninja" thing. I'm far from a blade aficionado, but the Cold Steel Recon is the best fitting knife I've ever owned. I have big hands, so the size is perfect for me. The shape and handle material/texure are the best I've found for a daily work knife. It's the first knife I've owned that my fat, sweaty hands can hold onto without fear of it slipping out of my hand.

With all that being said, I'm not brand loyal. If I could find another knife that performs equally as well, and isn't significantly more expensive, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot.
Understood, I'm also in a similar position, how a knife fits/feels in my hand is just as if not more important than the steel it's made out of.

That said my "hard-use" knife is a Scrapyard Scrapper 5, the resiprene c mudder handle on it really feels/fits in my hand great, doesn't slip even when wet or bloody & the steel is SR101 which I really like a lot, keeps it's edge really well, plus sharpens backup easily when it finally does, no downsides to it other than it corrodes easily so I have to run the edge into a beewax candle a couple times before putting it back in the sheath.

Since I use it for butchering game & for food prep when out on the trail I don't use Rem Oil or any petro-based chems on that one like I do some of my knives, hence the edible wax treatment on the edge, the rest of the knife blade is coated so only the edge needs to be protected from corrosion.

Yeah, there are definitely better knives out there, and I get the whole "mall ninja" thing. I'm far from a blade aficionado, but the Cold Steel Recon is the best fitting knife I've ever owned. I have big hands, so the size is perfect for me. The shape and handle material/texure are the best I've found for a daily work knife. It's the first knife I've owned that my fat, sweaty hands can hold onto without fear of it slipping out of my hand.With all that being said, I'm not brand loyal. If I could find another knife that performs equally as well, and isn't significantly more expensive, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot.

Have you looked into Zero Tolerance knives?
I assure you they are from a great company and are some of the very best knifes out there for the money.

Understood, I'm also in a similar position, how a knife fits/feels in my hand is just as if not more important than the steel it's made out of.
That said my "hard-use" knife is a Scrapyard Scrapper 5, the resiprene c mudder handle on it really feels/fits in my hand great, doesn't slip even when wet or bloody & the steel is SR101 which I really like a lot, keeps it's edge really well, plus sharpens backup easily when it finally does, no downsides to it other than it corrodes easily so I have to run the edge into a beewax candle a couple times before putting it back in the sheath.
Since I use it for butchering game & for food prep when out on the trail I don't use Rem Oil or any petro-based chems on that one like I do some of my knives, hence the edible wax treatment on the edge, the rest of the knife blade is coated so only the edge needs to be protected from corrosion.

Scrapyard makes an excellent knife, anything that is kin to Jerry Busse is some of the best knives that you can get
  • Like 2

I know a guy who could give you a good deal on an unused Swamp Rat Rucki right now... :cool:

I was looking at that, my youngest daughter is into martial arts & I told her if she gets her "black belt" I'd buy her a sword, a real sword not a decorative sword, something like that Swamp Rat might be the perfect size for her.

I know a guy who could give you a good deal on an unused Swamp Rat Rucki right now... :cool:

Now thats a  good looking bit of kit.  I should have known better than to post up here.  Just gives me more to drool/ponder over.

Well familiar with Dave.  I've bought from him several times.  And all of my friends do as well.  I didn't think he had any 777s though. 

Ask him to put you in line for the next shipment, prices are going through the roof on these knives I have seen them selling for over $1000.00 online, I missed the boat on the first ones as well

He can get you any ZT knife it may take a little while on these 777's though

Ask him to put you in line for the next shipment, prices are going through the roof on these knives I have seen them selling for over $1000.00 online, I missed the boat on the first ones as well

He can get you any ZT knife it may take a little while on these 777's though

I have never received my 777 either.  Since I don't frequent BF as much as I used to, I thought maybe Kershaw had scrapped the knife since they were having some initial quality issues.

Nope.  They just started shipping early this month.  Only a couple hundred have gone out so far.  

Honestly, I can't drop coin on one just yet.  With Blade coming up, the Kendrick/Horton collab lotteries and another big purchase, I'm spread too thin already.  

Scrapyard makes an excellent knife, anything that is kin to Jerry Busse is some of the best knives that you can get

That's what I've heard, I had no idea who/what they were until after I received this one as part of a trade deal, I usually am pretty hard on tools so I almost think of them as "disposable items" once they've hit the end of their usefulness I just toss them & get another, knives included.

I've been pretty rough on this Scrapper, even used it to cut through the exhaust hangers on my truck because I didn't feel like getting out from under it to go fetch some tin-snips, I was surprised at how quick & easy it cut through them & how the edge was still just as sharp as it was when I took it out of the sheath.

I've been very pleased with it so far, I'd definately buy another one if this one is ever lost or stolen.