Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit for $149 - a good buy?

I'm just getting into reloading after buying my ammo for the last 40 years. I found this kit at cabelas online. I intend to reload 38 special for SASS competition.

I know I need handbooks, bullets, primers, brass (I've already got a bunch) , powder and I really don't know what else. I would appreciate any schooling or advice I can get.

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mould to cast your own.

Go slow at first, I know nothing about SASS, but I think you load light to keep recoil down.

I think some load with black powder for the smoke. I do know you can lube heavy and get smoke from that.

Keepus informed on how it going.

Edited by RED333

I recently bought the Lee Challenger Breech Lock single stage press kit, comes with a lot of accessories, but you'll still need dies for the calibers you want to load. I also decided to get the set of Lee Dippers for quick and easy powder measure. As I get further into it, I'll develop my skills with the powder scale and dispenser that are included. You'll also need to get a tumbler and media to clean spent brass.

The book with load data use weight not volume, the dippers are for volume of powder.

You should load by weight.

I bought the Lee Reloading Manual which cross references weight to the appropriate dipper for certain (not all) loads. The dippers also come with a slide rule style powder chart that converts weight to dipper size.

Edited by subsonic

The book with load data use weight not volume, the dippers are for volume of powder.
You should load by weight.

Lee dies do come with dipper data.

But... I just bought a .38 wadcutter mold. I glanced at the sheet included with the dies just looking at the dipper amounts and stuff. I noticed for WC's most of the loads appear to below the included dipper amt and therefore marked NA.

Pic looks the same as this: Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Value Kit

$120 at Midway (dealer price) but with Cabela's free shipping to store, may be a wash - not to mention Cabela's has it in stock. Add dies, powder, and primers. And books - if I only had one, it would be Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, especially with your Lee press. And when you choose powder, most manufacturers have current load data online for free. It's always good to double check, as I've found an error or two in dead tree data.

Lotsa good info on TGO, and several more experienced reloaders willing to help. I've learned a bunch here.

Lee dies do come with dipper data.

But... I just bought a .38 wadcutter mold. I glanced at the sheet included with the dies just looking at the dipper amounts and stuff. I noticed for WC's most of the loads appear to below the included dipper amt and therefore marked NA.

My point.

148gr. I got Titegroup.

However I just bought the mold Tuesday and haven't loaded or shot them. I cranked up my pot and cast about 100 tonight just as a trial run. Gonna try to load a few tomorrow to try while I'm out at a friends prop. turkey hunting Sat.

You guys are awesome. I appreciate the the great advice.  In SASS I know all bullets must be lead only and the only round nose will feed properly in replica lever guns. So Casting sounds like it is a must learn skill as well. Thanks again and Ill keep you y'all posted.  :)