Ok need input on remington 30-06 742

ted

Bought a remi 742 30-06 looked like it had never been shot looked like new , no marks at all not even on the inside .what can I expect the good and the bad ? What kind of ammo is best 150 , 165 , 180 . I have heard that shooting 180 will wear the gun out. What kind of moa to expect out of this gun at 100 yards ? Did I make a mistake , could not pass it up for $200.00 .
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For $200 it is a deal. They sell in the $350-$450 range depending on condition.
Make sure to keep grease on the lugs.
As far as accuracy we were getting 1" at 50 yards but that was not with a rest.
They have very little recoil.

what type of ammo was it jest need a starting place ,I know I need to try diff ammo but it might help cut down on some of the cost of the diff ammo I may have to try. Thanks

You did good. You won't see benchrest competition accuracy from it, but you will get very good deer hunting grade accuracy. I've had a couple, and they'd shoot whatever you put in them. Seems like 150 grain Remingtons worked as well as any. At this time, it will depend more on what you can find.

You did good. You won't see benchrest competition accuracy from it, but you will get very good deer hunting grade accuracy. I've had a couple, and they'd shoot whatever you put in them. Seems like 150 grain Remingtons worked as well as any. At this time, it will depend more on what you can find.

.30-06 is still really common up here, it is one of four or five calibers still on the shelf. .30-30, .243, .270, .22-250...

Bought one used few years back and could not get it to cycle. Could never really figure out what was wrong with it. I like the 742's and would buy another if it was priced right but will make sure to fire it first. Traded an Norinco SKS for it and traded it off for an 870 so I am figuring it was about $275 gun two years ago. 

Jest had a recoil pad put on it , some say I shouldn't have done that because it will effect the way the gun cycles is that true ? Have not shot it yet , it will be another 2 weeks before I get a chance.

Jest had a recoil pad put on it , some say I shouldn't have done that because it will effect the way the gun cycles is that true ? Have not shot it yet , it will be another 2 weeks before I get a chance.

I couldn't imagine it hurting it.