Temporary Carry permit?

I typed in Temporary in the forum search and read through some threads but didnt see this question exactly. I completed the course this last Saturday and went to the DMV and got all of my information and paperwork completed for the CCW permit. On my yellow sheet of my application they put a sticker on there that reads "Receipt Serves As Temporary Handgun Carry Permit". That is astonishing to me, I havent been printed yet and no background check yet. I know this is a silly question but am I reading this right?

There is no expiration date on this either?

Either way, im off to get printed today, just making sure I can start carrying.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I believe the receipt can only be used as a temporary permit for renewals, not new applications.

This is correct. It does not apply to anyone to whom the State has not already previously issued the actual permit. You're not legal until you receive your plastic HCP card in the mail. Sorry.

• Administrator
Very strange. I wonder if this would hold water if I were pulled over or questioned. They def. fouled up. Sorry about quality, this treo is a piece of crap.

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=896c058b-9dae-4d8b-8582-80b079c04353&Aux=4|0|8CABA62D747950F|

Nope. It would probably result in you having being detained, the firearm confiscated and you getting a date with the judge to make your case.

For what it's worth, when my wife was fingerprinted for her HCP, the lady who did the fingerprints told her that the application receipt was her temporary permit to carry. She was dead wrong and God only knows how many people she had fingerprinted in the past and had heard the same spiel. Chances are a lot of folks went ahead and carried, illegally, based on that advice.

HCP instructors need to make it crystal clear to their students that they cannot legally carry until they get their plastic HCP permit card in the mail. There's a lot of bad info circulating out there in the wild and most of it will get a person arrested if they take it for face value.

The man at the DMV told me to keep that receipt with me at all times, gave me that sticker and sent me on my way. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well to fully clear things up...there is no such thing as the DMV in TN, it was the Department of Safety or DOS. Also it is a Handgun Carry Permit or HCP, not a CCW because it allows to you to carry Open or Concealed. :P

• Administrator
The man at the DMV told me to keep that receipt with me at all times, gave me that sticker and sent me on my way. Thanks for clearing that up.

It sucks but it's true... you've gotta wait until the State gets to do their due diligence and bless you with their acknowledgment of your right to be armed. :P

Current wait times seem to be anywhere from 2-4 months with no rhyme or reason as to why some get done faster than others. Unless your last name is Naifeh, then it's much faster. :rant:

Well to fully clear things up...there is no such thing as the DMV in TN, it was the Department of Safety or DOS. Also it is a Handgun Carry Permit or HCP, not a CCW because it allows to you to carry Open or Concealed. :P

Thanks, I think.

I typed in Temporary in the forum search and read through some threads but didnt see this question exactly. I completed the course this last Saturday and went to the DMV and got all of my information and paperwork completed for the CCW permit. On my yellow sheet of my application they put a sticker on there that reads "Receipt Serves As Temporary Handgun Carry Permit". That is astonishing to me, I havent been printed yet and no background check yet. I know this is a silly question but am I reading this right?

There is no expiration date on this either?

Either way, im off to get printed today, just making sure I can start carrying.

which location did this?

Well, it seems pretty obvious that a newbie or confused clerk at the DOS just put the wrong peel-off sticker on it.

If it were truly a renewal, you'd be good to go (assuming you also had the actual previous HCP too).

If found out carrying with it, you would likely be able to plead "newbie ignorance" and get away without penalty, but it's possible you'd have to go through a bunch of LEO/court/financial hassle in the process, so in my view it's not remotely worth the risk to carry with it.

- OS

Im with you. Ill wait for the plastic to come in. Im still waiting on my Mika pocket holster anyway, they should arrive about the same time :screwy:

GlockMeister it was the DOS Location:

6502 Bonny Oaks Drive

Chattanooga, TN 37416