.22 about to go through the roof????

You can call them capitalists or whatever, but I and my shooting friends have other names we use.

The 'nice' term for such a**hats is 'profiteer'.  In its strictest sense, profiteering is simply 'capitalism at work', I suppose, but even within the framework of capitalism it is a pejorative term.  In other words, it isn't simply 'capitalism as usual'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/profiteer

prof·it·eer [prof-i-teer] noun

1. a person who seeks or exacts exorbitant profits, especially through the sale of scarce or rationed goods.

Notice the definition says nothing about 'essential' goods, simply 'scarce'.  I think ammo certainly qualifies as 'scarce', right now.

Edited by JAB

Honestly, I have tried pellet guns as a substitute for 'real' shooting and, for me, they fall kind of flat.  It seems I like the bang/flash/recoil aspects of shooting as much as anything else.  Even a small bang/flash/recoil as with a .22LR is much more exciting, to me, than the rather lackluster 'pffft' of an airgun.  In fact, I often find airguns boring and even annoying for that reason.

Now, I know it is possible to purchase a really high end airgun that has enough power to actually make a nice 'crack' when fired.  By the time I spent the $$$ on one of those, the equipment to charge it and ammo (which, for those, isn't exactly available on the shelf at Walmart) I could buy a whole lot of .22LR ammo - even if the post scare prices are much higher than before.

I think I'd rather go with a nice, in-line muzzle loader, myself.  I have a couple of muzzle loaders that I don't shoot much but that is largely because they are the 'musket' (or, I guess, side lock) style and don't always work very well.

I also keep thinking that a crossbow would be a lot of fun.  Sure, it isn't going to go 'bang' any more than an air rifle but something about them has always intrigued me, ever since I was a little kid - long before I had ever heard of Daryl Dixon.  I like the idea of a crossbow because I could have a handful of practice bolts and use them over and over.  Hmmm...

Guest TN.Frank
The lack of a "bang" is why I love my air guns. Nice and quiet, don't bother the neighbors or game when I'm shooting at something and more then enough power to take small game out to normal range.

The lack of a "bang" is why I love my air guns. Nice and quiet, don't bother the neighbors or game when I'm shooting at something and more then enough power to take small game out to normal range.

Just doesnt feel like a "Farrari" in my hands!!!!!

FlyBoy

My TRR-SR .22LR supressed is quieter than my RWS .177!  :)

Needs to be a national movement. One full month, gun owners across America lay down their .22s and swear not to fire or buy a .22 bullet for the full 30 days. We could call it NRCOIYLLGB, which of course stands for "National Rimfire Choke On It You Low Life Gouging Bastard" :usa: