.22 about to go through the roof????

Ok, I gotta ask... I just got an e-mail, a personal one from a dear friend... NOT a mass forward type thing. This is the text of it. Understand, this was from HIM to ME. Have any of y'all heard of anything like this?

"I just talked to a friend of mine tonight and he told about going to gun store today to buy some bullets. They store only sells ammo to customers who buy firearms from them, the owner told him that the ammo distributor he buys from said that the wholesale price for 500 round boxes of 22 cal. will be going up to $180.00 per box on his next ammo order.....this has got ridiculous. Thanks to the liberals pukes. Better buy all you can find before the gouging really spreads."
Ok so maybe the email is from HIM to YOU, but you did notice the text is "a friend went to a store and the owner told him that a distributor told him .......blah blah"

I know the guy is your friend and i don't mean to sound like a jerk, but we are getting 5th hand info from you who is getting 4th hand info. This is how false info gets spread. And sorry but that is an email that deserves to be deleted and forgotten Edited by Tennjed

Ok so maybe the email is from HIM to YOU, but you did notice the text is "a friend went to a store and the owner told him that a distributor told him .......blah blah"

I know the guy is your friend and i don't mean to sound like a jerk, but we are getting 5th hand info from you who is getting 4th hand info. This is how false info gets spread. And sorry but that is an email that deserves to be deleted and forgotten

Exactly, and emails like this will cause the resellers to jack their prices even higher, and the panic buyers will pay it. The sky is falling!, The sky is falling!

What Katrina was for gas; Sandy Hook is for ammo. We are driving the prices, not the government or the gun haters…. Hoarders and those trying to make a buck. Once those that have irrational fears of ammo bans get their stash; prices will drop. Unlike gas, we aren’t forced to buy ammo and with the ammo companies operating at full output eventually the shelves will start to refill.

If the government starts to tax ammo the way they do cigarettes; we may have a price problem.

• Like 1

I understand those of you with the "level of info" concerns; however, this one isn't a "friend of a friend of a friend" etc. That being said, I sent him a reply, suggesting that perhaps that was $180 for a case of 10 boxes which, while still distasteful, would be more reasonable. I will let you know when he responds.

Exactly, and emails like this will cause the resellers to jack their prices even higher, and the panic buyers will pay it. The sky is falling!, The sky is falling!

This is a huge part of the ammo problem. The gun show sellers, the Gunbroker sellers that jack the prices up AND the people that pay the ridicules prices. People sell on here for the same prices sometimes too, I've noticed. The sellers don't care about what damage they do. I'd bet a lot of them don't even shoot. They've just found an item and a group of weak people they can make a bunch of money off of.  Justified by the old "if I don't do it somebody else will" attitude,they are out for themselves with no regard for future damage they may do to prices. You can call them capitalists or whatever, but I and my shooting friends have other names we use.  Buying from retailers, and then jacking the prices 2 or 3 times is just wrong....it breaks the normal chain of supply to the end user. But, it's the freak'n buyers I can't figure out. If they would just stop buying from the jerks, be patient and keep an eye out you can find ammo at normal prices and end the price gouging.  Nothing I can do about it but not participate, which I do not, I'm not paying those prices. Eventually, I suppose things will return to a more normal atmosphere, but we all know prices will never drop back to the pre Sandy Hook prices. I remember before the last shortage after Obama got elected, I was buying 22LR Remington 550 bricks for around $8. When the supply came back, the price was around $17.  I predict the new "normal" price to be bumping $30 a brick when supply returns....we'll see eventually maybe if people stop buying from the gougers.

• Like 2

when this 22 lr ammo problem levels out the 500 plus pack will be around $30.00 a pack.  i don't think we will see the low prices again.   if we would stop buying ammo the prices will start coming down.  also the gougers will be stuck with a bunch of high price ammo that they can not sell.  

At $180 a brick I will just go buy a high end pellet rifle in 22 caliber. I can do anything with it I an with a 22 lr. They are quieter as well which suits me more for survival anyways.

For cheap shooting I will just continue to shoot my 300 Blackout for 4.4 cents a round. And when I get my suppressor done for it it will be as quiet as my suppressed 22's are now.

• Like 1

Here is his reply to my question... guess we'll see what he finds out when he double checks... (and yeah, "Duckie" is my nickname):

"Duckie, You may be right about it being a case of 500 rd boxes. People (ex-military) up here refer to boxes of ammo as a brick...hell, a box is a box to me no matter where I bees. I’ll have to check it out again but my friend that I heard this from...I totally trust...how ever I might have misunderstood. He’s a former Navy, Lt. Commander / Nuclear Sub, gun instructor and recording studio owner/engineer/guitar picker.....and has got some real serious pieces of furniture...you know what I mean. He was also one of the main people to get concealed carry passed in Wisconsin. The gun store where he was told this hasn’t been in business all that long from what I understand....he just went there looking for ammo and got that story from the owner. I was getting stuff from Walmart...but the case has been bare for a while...like everywhere else. Gun World gets ammo on certain days...but you have to be there when they open so you can get in line..."

Guest TN.Frank

At $180 a brick I will just go buy a high end pellet rifle in 22 caliber. I can do anything with it I an with a 22 lr. They are quieter as well which suits me more for survival anyways.

DING, DING, DING, WE have a Winner! That's what I did when I couldn't find a reasonable priced Ruger 10/22 and thank God I couldn't because if I'd have gotten stuck with a 22lr I'd not be able to shoot the dang thing now. I ended up getting into a Benjamin Trail NP and I've got well over 2000 pellets in stock, most of em' free by using Pyramyd Air's Bullseye Bucks to pay for them.
22cal pellets are anywhere form $3.59/175 to $7.99/250 depending on what you get and out to 40 or so yards I'll kill any small game with my air rifle that you'd kill with your 22lr and do it quieter and I can even shoot in my garage with proper backstop and not bother anyone.
22lr guns are the past, high power air rifles are the future. JMHO, YMMV.
+1 for the Benjamin trail np....

Patience is a virtue and people seem to have short attention spans. Just wait it out and it will go back to whatever the new normal is. Change is a part of the process. And I am all out of cliches - time to ride off into the sunset?
Guest TN.Frank
I really love my air guns. Even if things totally go back to normal I'm sticking with them. Since I don't hunt anymore my 22cal air rifle does everything that I want to do in the way of plinking and pest control.
Sometimes you just need to adapt to the changing tide and roll with it.

What Katrina was for gas; Sandy Hook is for ammo. We are driving the prices, not the government or the gun haters…. Hoarders and those trying to make a buck. Once those that have irrational fears of ammo bans get their stash; prices will drop. Unlike gas, we aren’t forced to buy ammo and with the ammo companies operating at full output eventually the shelves will start to refill.

If the government starts to tax ammo the way they do cigarettes; we may have a price problem.

Price gouging by our own is a shame,gun shows,some online retailers and 

internet auctions are driving priced up.....I am happy to have collected all I need months ago