It's that time again- SHTF neat stuff learn/show off!

It getting warm again ladies and gents. (Just in case some of you whackos have quite going outside!) I am hoping to get together with some folks again to discuss various things that we hold in common interest. I see people buying/building some pretty neat gadgets. We all know the biggest benefit to these things is showing them off to your peers! Lets get together and show off and demonstrate our newest acquirements! I made a BioSand filter a couple weeks ago. They're pretty easy but I can show people how its done by building one at the meet up. These things are used all over the world, pretty cheap and easy to make, and must work.

We can try to teach/learn various skills that might come in handy. It can be anything from tanning your own leather to balancing a checkbook. If you'd like to show how to do it, and someone wants to learn, let's do it! I will demo the sand filter and possibly bring my forge/anvil if anyone wants to make a primitive knife! That's what it's all about, each person possibly passing on a little something they've picked up. I'd like to know more about:
1.) Medical related things- CPR, wound dressing, etc...
2.) Cleaning animals
3.) * long range and defensive handgun shooting
4.) And it never hurts to go over fire starting, water procurement, and edible plants/animals

Some folks may be like me. I have a dozen books and infinite bookmarks online, but seldom actively practice these skills. We all know, without practicing it doesn't mean much.

I may have a place to hold this unless someone will be interested in showing some long range skills. If so, we'd have to find a larger venue. I am not opposed to moving this to someone else property for the benefit of the group. This also might be a good place for some tannerite destruction if its not too soon. I know some folks can't have too much fun too close together. We could also do some trading, camping, singing, etc.... I was never able to be a Boy Scout.....

Also, maybe a shooting contest. We can go .22 so it's cheap. I can bring one .22 with steel sights. If more people brought their's with different sight configurations we can draw straws to choose. It'd be fun to have a red dot, scope, laser, NO SIGHT! Just to mix it up....Prize may be a box of .22 (basically gold if you can even find them) or everyone can bring something outdoorsy to throw the pot.

Anyway, open to thoughts and suggestions.... We can get a time nailed down in a bit once interest is shown. For the sake of logistics lets say end of May - mid June. Edited by bigbabysweets
Lets say June 1-2. It's a Saturday/Sunday in about six weeks. Lets drum up some folks that know a bunch of stuff and are willing to teach a session. UncleJak was kind enough to step up and offer some knowledge to those that care to learn. I'll do what I can, though my knowledge is book taught and "in theory."

This can be a 2 day event or we can knock it out in one. One day can be for lying and shooting and the next for teaching and learning. You can come for both or either one. Camping is welcome, but bathrooms will probably be of the "natural" variety...

I'd like to cover

Various fire making techniques. Flint and steel, fire piston, steel wool and battery, etc
Where to find water and safe ways of treating it.
What you might want to pack into your bugout bags and share what we each have in ours.
The importance of regulating body temperature- It's natures #1 killer!
Shelters... Basically, I want to cover the rule of 3s. 3hours without shelter 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food...

This stuff is pretty basic, we've all at least read about it, but its always good to practice. I'd like if someone had medical experience to share some dos and donts associated with common wounds. Maybe CPR stuff. Stuff we may come I contact with. I'm not looking for certication but, I'd like to know what to do JIC.

Ill bring my anvil and forge if anyone would like to try some primitive knife making. It needs to be resurfaced, but it should work... I have traditional and compound bows I can bring if there's interest. I also have a slingshot I shoot arrows from... Maybe some knife and tomahawk throwing!

Has anyone done some gun training and would like to pass on some advice? I've always wanted to attend a seminar, but just CANNOT afford it. I know it's worth it, especially if the time I should need it, but I just can't spend it right now...
Yes.

I don't own the land, he'll have final say, but I know the guy well and have seen him host many events. We share the same viewpoint on almost every matter. I'm confident what I say, he'll approve.

My main concern is everyone behaves themselves. I don't mind beer around the campfire, as long as people can drink in moderation. I was a bouncer for a few years, I know how quickly people get ignorant and angry while drinking. We don't need any of that. If those people do start drinking, plan on spending the night. This is one of the owners personal rules. He's had friends killed while DUI and doesn't want that on him.

As far as other things are concerned, more "natural" therapy, do it so that no one knows. " look for something in your car" or " use the bathroom" so that the rest of the group isn't bothered. I couldn't care less, but some people may feel uncomfortable. I'm a pretty laid back Christian kind of guy, but I know plenty of people who can enjoy these things in private and moderation....

Also, I try not to cuss. I am not offended by those that do. If kids are present, be respectful. You can make up for it after they leave or go to bed if you have to. Lol

This is also not directed at UncleJak personally! I know it seems like I am telling him what he can do, it was for everyone, he just asked the excellent question!

I was actually hoping it WAS family friendly.  My son would love this.   I always like when kids are welcome so I can pass on knowledge to the next generation. 

I can teach first aid and CPR, unless someone more qualified comes along.  I have experience in emergency first aid and have American Heart Association certification.

If you are bringing a forge, I can bring my RR track anvil and extra hammers.

I'm happy to teach anything I know, just ask!

Awesome! I may have my little girl along with me for at least part of it duration. I don't know if she'd be thrilled for most of it as she's a girly girl most of the time, but she has forged out some knives from 3" cut nails!

That would be great! I can definitely bring my forge. It's pretty small. I don't make large blades so I have a small propane forge.

I really enjoy teaching what I know, especially to kids. I wasn't sure if anyone would have kids, so I didn't want to give the impression that it was completely toned down to the point adults would feel odd, then no kids show up! Lol

I think anything we can learn in first aid may come in handy. Just look at Boston, we never know!

How old's your son?
Oh yeah! I remember that know! I was even in a picture I believe! Lol That makes my day! My daughter is only 4. Maybe too much of an age gap but they may hit it off. I'll have to see if Kylie will make it as the time draws nearer! Maybe they can have a "Brave" moment and shoot my old stick bow. Lol

Depending upon how near in the future this is, I would definitely be interested. I've pretty much got the next six months or so guaranteed off thanks to an unfortunate meeting between a .357mag 158gr. JHP and my left ankle, but it's going to be another 5 weeks or so before I can even begin to put any weight on my left foot, so might be very limited in what I can do, see, teach or otherwise participate in.

I Timestepper, you wanted to make the last one! I was looking at June 1-2 for the date. I hope you're able to come, I've been keeping up with your progress via the other thread..... I was hoping you could have made the last one. I was looking forward to cowboy songs around the campfire! Lol

CM1021- Awesome, that's what I'm most interested in. I think I'd be useful a little more commonly that a SHTF event. I wanna know a little just in case an accident should happen to my family. I have the utmost respect for emergency personnel, but I wanna know I did the most I could, and maybe make their job easier...

EVERYONE- if this takes off we could offer a small fee, or have everyone bring a little something, and get the most out of this! If everyone brought some stuff they would teach, or chip in on some .22 ( give up some they've been hoarding), brought gauze etc for the first aid course.... You know, make sure no one is really out anymore than anyone else and everything equally benefits! Edited by bigbabysweets
  • 2 weeks later...
We're about a month away! Just letting everyone know it looks like about 9 people interested between TGO and a few people I know on Facebook. This isn't a TGO member only get together. If you know some people that would like to come, bring them! I'd like to have a few more people in on this. The more the merrier!