A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics

Guest Lester Weevils

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I at first wondered if the poor dog was addled or had some kind of doggie catatonia to be so easily posed. But some of the action video shows her capable of acting like a normal dawg, so the alternate explanation is an intelligent, calm, eager to please dog with exceptional balance.

My coon hound that died last year was fairly calm in his old age but he was either dumb as a brick or real good at pretending being dumb if he didn't want to do something. He was real active even in his old age when in "hunting mode" sniffing the woods and barking for hours every day, and active enough when bullying the younger hound, but otherwise real calm and affectionate, wanting to be petted all the time, just hanging around where people happened to be. But it was impossible to explain to the dawg that you wanted him to do something. Such as, "Get off the bed long enough for me to change sheets." -- "Whaaa? Get off the bed? I don't understand the concept. Why are you pushing on me anyway? You are hurting my feelings. What? Why do you keep pushing on me? I'm just laying here on the bed not causing any trouble!"

The young hound never stops moving except when he is asleep. He is smart at getting in trouble, and loves people and is right by them all the time, but he's not smart at understanding I want him to do something. Or alternately he just doesn't care if somebody wants him to do something, unless it is his idea.

So the concept of a calm coonhound who also seems interested in following instructions, seems at least a bit unusual. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

Yep if I was near Nashville (or if they had a signing near Chatt) would probably try to show up. In a way, it is almost false advertising to present Maddie as a coon hound role model, possibly fooling people who don't know any better into expecting them to be calm obedient laid-back animals. They are wonderful lovable pets, but perhaps more likely, as peejman says, freaking lunatics. :)

Dunno what caused that Maddie hound to come up for adoption, but our young hound got adopted because the neighbors who paid good money for him as a pup, they are hunters and know what coonhounds are like, but within a year he wore out his welcome after he ate all their furniture and chased all their cats. The straw that broke the camel's back-- He got away and dug up all another neighbor's flower beds and sparked great controversy between the neighbors. They had him loaded up in the pickup getting ready to take him to the pound when I went over and volunteered to take him. He's a great fella, bless his pointy little hyperactive head. :)