Sig P938 Range Report

walton6467

On the spur of the moment yesterday I picked up a used Sig Sauer P938 Nightmare at Allen's in Clarksville. The manufacture date is Nov. 2012. The gun doesn't appear to have been shot much, but I know its been fired, because the screws on the grips were loose (hehehe).

I put 50 rounds of the cheapest stuff I had through it just to see what would happen, because I'd heard they were picky about ammo. I used Tulammo 115 grain steel case and the p938 ate it all without a hiccup. Shooting an 8 inch target from 10 yards all 50 rounds were kill shots. My groups look like crap, but thats not unusual for me. And given this is the first time I've been on the range since the scare started, I feel like I performed decent.

The P938 has minimal recoil and was not a problem to shoot over and over again with out stinging my hand, unlike alot of the little pocket sized pistols I've used in the past. The grip is a little short and those of you with paws like catcher's mitts are going to want to spring for the extended mag. I had no problem holding on to it and no problem bringing it back to target after the shot.

Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly is no problem.

Excellent small 9mm. I'd recommend to anyone. Let me know if you have questions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I got one last December.  Mine has the extended mag with great rubber grips. Since it only came with one mag I wanted at least one more, but couldn't find any locally.  So I contacted Sig and ordered two more extended mags.  I was just notified on Friday that my mags were shipped.  When I called Sig they didn't know when they would be available, so I was surprised when they sent me an email saying they were shipped.

I finally shot mine on Friday - just like the 238 - sweet gun.<br /><br />I don't know why but on all sigs I have to hold the front side up slightly above the rear sights to be on target. It's this way on my 226 and 238. I'm sure it's my technique but have no idea why

Had to go find Sigs actual info on this

Per SIg under FAQ's  "My SIG SAUER pistol is not accurate. Why? What should I do?"

All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

• 4 months later...

mine wanted hot ammo for a while right out of the box.  It cleared up nicely after a while, but I have shot it a lot.  It has not shown any real signs of wear with over 500 rounds through it, so added to the above it seems to be rugged enough.

jeez fellas, where were you all 3 weeks ago? ;o)

I just sold a NIB Nightmare at COST a few weeks ago to a very nice girl... she happened to come up with a fella who bought a NIB 238 I sold at cost.... she saw the 9 and came back later and got it ... nice snag for em both!  I won't mention any names as I don't want you guys hatin' on em!  ;o) ... I was shocked as though I got a lot of tire kickers, I really thought they would move faster than they did.  I love these little pocket pistols. 

But most definitely the 238 series ... had an Eq for several years... sold it off my hip and regretted it ... wanted to try the 938 so I picked up both ... just after handling the 380, the 9, although just slightly smaller, seemed noticiably heavier loaded to me - I keep these in my cargo pocket.  But as luck would have it, had some invoices coming due so I had to turn em both quickly...

But I am happy to say my rep knew I was a FDE fella and called me a few days ago ... had a Tan/FDE 238 model come in and he put it aside for me... So I'm back toting a Sig again!! Happy man!

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Sig P938 sport 13 to the range today.  After over 200 rounds (Win WB, Monarch brass, CCI Aluminum and Federal bulk, all 115g FMJ and BVAC 124g FMJ reman), no failures of any kind.  After some reports I have read I was concerned, but now am a happy camper.  I did break it down, and clean and lube it before going to the range.  I shot this pistol much better than a friends Kahr CM9 I tried a couple of weeks ago (100 rounds).  The Kahr is a good piece but just not for me. 

i was impressed with the 238 we got for my mother in law. have been eyeing the 938 for awhile now. range report sounds good.

i kind of wish that Ruger would do a LC9 r something that's similar in concept. just a bit of length to fit the 9 where a 380 was and no other changes. i know there is more to engineering one than that but still...

Edited by broylz

i was impressed with the 238 we got for my mother in law. have been eyeing the 938 for awhile now. range report sounds good.

i kind of wish that Ruger would do a LC9 r something that's similar in concept. just a bit of length to fit the 9 where a 380 was and no other changes. i know there is more to engineering one than that but still...

Um, this?

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Guest The Itis

For those who have shot both the CM9/PM9 and the P938, which one feels like it conceals easier?

Price range wise the Sig is right between the CM9 and PM9 and these are 3 guns I'm seriously looking at.

this is the difference i was talking about.

http://api.ning.com/files/ILeS1nO4lpjTOSYD1dUt7k9XlwZ6AKodnNc8qSIGLcqZECo7yOUiBUwYxTz12PGpw*ZIHrd5TOWF3uSWi2eH3LbXPaW4nR-z/RugerLCP_RugerLC9.jpg?width=737&height=554

and notice the only real difference here is the length of the grip and slide to fit the 9mm vs the 380 like i mentioned. If the LC9 followed this format, i would have at least one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WhWeKGQmXbo/UBs2Ttx0axI/AAAAAAAACL0/2L7hcFDY6Ts/s1600/stacked.jpg

Apparently i cant use the image extension??? so you will have to click the links to see what im talking about

ah, I see.  You would think they would start with the 9mm, then cut the recoil spring down, use the same parts, and bam, its a 380.  But that makes too much sense I guess.

You are right there is no reason for the extra 1/2 inch in height.

Edited by Jonnin
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought a Sig P938 SAS and I LOVE it!  :)  It reminds me of an EMP, but in a smaller package.

I shot 100 rds through it yesterday. The first box was Speer Lawman 124 gr FMJ and the gun couldn't have ran smoother or shot better! Standing with both hands and no rest, I was easily obtaining 3" groups at 7 yds, and 4" at 15 yds, and I'm not the steadiest person in the world either. The second box, I decided to try 115 gr WWB. I'd heard that the 938 can be a little picky with ammo, so I wanted to try the cheap stuff and see what happened. Again, it functioned perfectly and the groups were close to the same as with the Speer, with the exception of a couple three fliers. I was definitely pleased....and quite impressed with this little Sig, and for it's intended purpose (self defense), it's performance was more than acceptable. I can safely say that this is going to become my main EDC!

ah, I see.  You would think they would start with the 9mm, then cut the recoil spring down, use the same parts, and bam, its a 380.  But that makes too much sense I guess.

You are right there is no reason for the extra 1/2 inch in height.

9mm Parabellum operates at twice the pressure as the .380... more pressure is going to need more steel to safely contain it. 

Edited by dcloudy777

9mm Parabellum operates at twice the pressure as the .380... more pressure is going to need more steel to safely contain it. 

Yes.  My point was, if making both calibers, start with the 9 and it can more easily be reduced to the 380 than the other way around, keeping costs down by having more parts in common, etc.  The sig 938 is what you get when you start with 380 ...  basically a do-over on the entire piece.