Ting (Save on Mobile Phone)

• Moderators
A few weeks ago I posted on here regarding how to save money on your monthly mobile phone. Well, I finally found the following service: $25 Off Coupon!

It technically uses the Spring network, but offers free voice roaming on Verizon. Since I only use my phone for talking and testing  this essentially means I can use the phone wherever I have Spring or Verizon service!

What makes this service great is that you pay based upon how much you use. It is I suppose essentially prepaid, but I like the way it works better than most prepaid options. For example, I'll be paying for 500 minutes and 1000 text messages. That will be just a hair over $20 a month. If I use less than the lower tier (100 minutes and/or 100 texts), it would be closer to $12 a month. The tiers are based upon each group (voice, text, and data). You only pay for the tier you use. 

I am currently under contract with Verizon until 4/30/2013. I've been paying roughly $50 a month (after a 19% discount through my employer). That gets me 450 minutes with unlimited text and mobile to mobile. Roughly $50 through Ting would get you 2000 minutes and 4000 texts. So I feel I'll be saving a lot of money by using the service. Just though I'd pass this information along, because like myself I am sure everyone wouldn't mind saving money. They also have pretty flexible smartphone plans. You can also "Bring Your Own Device" as long as your phone is compatible. I just bought the Samsung Array (the only "Feature Phone" they offer for sale.

I will let everyone know how the service works out after I've been using it for a while. But for now I am pretty excited about it because I'll save $30 a month.

Ting Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators

I also very heavily considered paying out of pocket for a smartphone, and then paying $3 for 100MB of data. Then I could check my email wherever I was, and then use WiFi whenever I wanted. I decided to go with the cheapest possible solution for right now, and then maybe later adjust for something like that.

I have an old galaxy S. I fould, at least here, most places have wifi where I go. I went gophone for a few months, but still paying a lot for never using it. Paying for a little data isn't bad if you use it, but your home wifi would probably still be a bit more secure. All that being said, I haven't had cell service in three months. It's been amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Received my Ting phone last Saturday. Started the number port at that time. It took around 24 hours to complete to port. I have sent Ting support a few random questions, all of them have been answered in a very timely manner. So far, I'm very satisfied with them. 

I highly recommend Ting for anyone who might wish to save a few bucks on their phone, and doesn't need a lot of data. If I ever have a negative experience with them, I'll update here. Otherwise, 100% satisfaction as of right now.

Received my Ting phone last Saturday. Started the number port at that time. It took around 24 hours to complete to port. I have sent Ting support a few random questions, all of them have been answered in a very timely manner. So far, I'm very satisfied with them. 

I highly recommend Ting for anyone who might wish to save a few bucks on their phone, and doesn't need a lot of data. If I ever have a negative experience with them, I'll update here. Otherwise, 100% satisfaction as of right now.

24hrs for a port isn't bad at all. I've probably been out of service so long that someone else is walking around with my number!

Glad to hear it is working for you well so far. This seems like a viable alternative if I ever end up needing a phone again. :up:

Keep us posted if anything turns the other way.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

24hrs for a port isn't bad at all. I've probably been out of service so long that someone else is walking around with my number!

Glad to hear it is working for you well so far. This seems like a viable alternative if I ever end up needing a phone again. :up:

Keep us posted if anything turns the other way.

Been using Ting for a couple of months now. Very satisfied. They ended up changing their billing system about a month ago so it's even more simplex now. Beforehand you had to "estimate" usage and then prepay for it. Then if you used more or less, they would "adjust" it on your next billing cycle. However, now they simply let you use they phone for a month, then bill you for usage. They just ended up charging my card today for usage, made me think to update this post. Having a $24.17 cell bill is nice. That is one reason I am looking for a Sprint Android phone. If it is Android and on Sprint, I can simply replace the "feature phone" I have with the Android phone. I can keep using 0 data and my bill will stay at $24.17. Anything under 100MB would be + $3. This would allow me to keep my cell bill cheap but also allow the phone to do smartphone things when on WiFi:)

I would once again recommend Ting 100%

$25 Off Coupon

Guest TankerHC

Thanks, Im hooking that up for my sister today. Im tired if hearing how shes out of minutes and paying $25 for a 200 minute card. Ridiculous.

Since this is a phone thread Id like to add a couple of money saving things.

If you have a home phone, whether standard POTS or through broadband, go with Ooma Telo. Reaserched it last year, went ahead and bought one. I pay twleve bucks a month for.

Two phone numbers (You can port your old number over) and you can separate them, you can give your kid a number or use a separate number for business, fax etc.

If I deleted a number, no matter how long ago it was I can go into my account and pull up the call.

I get alerts over my cell every time I miss a home phone call and someone leaves a message.

Unlimited U.S. calling

Ooma PureVoiceâ„¢ HD technology

911 service

Inbound caller-ID

Outbound caller name

Caller-ID blocking

Call-waiting

Call hold

Call return

One-touch voicemail access

Remote voicemail retrieval

Online voicemail playback

Online address book

Online preferences

Phone number and area code selection

Easy set-up

7/10 digit dialing

Selectable ring pattern

Fax mode

Worldwide Ooma-to-Ooma calling

High-performance QoS firewall

Live customer support

Bandwidth saving mode

Adaptive packet redundancy

Secure, encrypted calls

Online call logs

The hardware costs $200, less on Amazon. Well worth it, its already paid for itself 3 times over and the calls are crystal clear. You do need broadband. To use the numbers seperately you have to add a $49 device. (Again, cheaper on Amazon) and there are all sorts of accesories for it, bluetooth, etc. If you dont want to use your old number, you can pick a number with an area code for wherever you want.

If your on the road a lot and want to have Internet Service wherever you are (And can get a cell signal) use PdaNet App. Its a free app, and with 3G service its nearly like having broadband internet wherever you are, and with 4G it is. It is not illegal but some providers do frown on using it, but if you have sprint, unlimited (No cap) data, or one of the other ones that have no cap, you can have fast web anywhere you have a cell phone signal. Especially good if broadband is not available in your area.

Edited by TankerHC

Thanks, Im hooking that up for my sister today. Im tired if hearing how shes out of minutes and paying $25 for a 200 minute card. Ridiculous.

If you have a home phone, whether standard POTS or through broadband, go with Ooma Telo. Reaserched it last year, went ahead and bought one. I pay twleve bucks a month for.

Two phone numbers (You can port your old number over) and you can separate them, you can give your kid a number or use a separate number for business, fax etc.

If I deleted a number, no matter how long ago it was I can go into my account and pull up the call.

I get alerts over my cell every time I miss a home phone call and someone leaves a message.

Unlimited U.S. calling
911 service
Inbound caller-ID
Outbound caller name
Caller-ID blocking
Call-waiting
Call hold
Call return
Online address book

Online preferences
Easy set-up
7/10 digit dialing
Selectable ring pattern
Fax mode
Live customer support
Bandwidth saving mode
Secure, encrypted calls
Online call logs

The hardware costs $200, less on Amazon. Well worth it, its already paid for itself 3 times over and the calls are crystal clear. You do need broadband. To use the numbers seperately you have to add a $49 device. (Again, cheaper on Amazon) and there are all sorts of accesories for it, bluetooth, etc. If you dont want to use your old number, you can pick a number with an area code for wherever you want.

If your on the road a lot and want to have Internet Service wherever you are (And can get a cell signal) use PdaNet App. Its a free app, and with 3G service its nearly like having broadband internet wherever you are, and with 4G it is. It is not illegal but some providers do frown on using it, but if you have sprint, unlimited (No cap) data, or one of the other ones that have no cap, you can have fast web anywhere you have a cell phone signal. Especially good if broadband is not available in your area.

Good call on Ooma. I've been using it daily (work at home) for 2+ hours every day. Works great and dirt cheap.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Another new one out is republic wireless, $19/month for unlimited calls, texts and data on Sprint towers.  You can only have one type of smartphone that runs on 3g, and have to get it from them, but hell for $20 you can't complain.

Edited by Sam1
  • Moderators

Unlimited U.S. calling

911 service

Inbound caller-ID

Outbound caller name

Caller-ID blocking

Call-waiting

Call hold

Call return

Online address book

Online preferences

Easy set-up

7/10 digit dialing

Selectable ring pattern

Fax mode

Live customer support

Bandwidth saving mode

Secure, encrypted calls

Online call logs

I have no interest right now in having a "home line" simply because I have never had one and always used my cell, however Ting offers this device:

https://ting.com/devices/buy/Sprint-Homephone-Connect

It'd be $6 additional on your monthly bill and the minutes would pull from your tier for your minutes. It seems interesting but there are many other options.

Another new one out is republic wireless, $19/month for unlimited calls, texts and data on Sprint towers.  You can only have one type of smartphone that runs on 3g, and have to get it from them, but hell for $20 you can't complain.

Thanks! I remember reading about this a few months ago. Honestly, I have been wanting to give PagePlus a try, but I cannot seem to get away from Ting because they honestly have some of the best customer service I have ever used. Every time I have tried to contact PagePlus, I've been on hold for 5-10 minutes. Ting's online interface is very simplex (means a lot to me). So although I have been interested in giving Republic Wireless a try, I would have a hard time switching from Ting. My ultimate solution would be once Ting updates with iPhone compatibility, that would be perfect for me. I have been thinking about getting a Verizon iPhone and porting it to PagePlus, but I haven't convinced myself to do so just yet.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
Pf1f2vM.jpg

Sweet! So, I've been a long time Ting user at this point. As stated in the posts above, Ting has been piggybacking off of Sprint's CDMA network. Overall, I guess I could just summarize that Sprint's network isn't as great as Verizon's. It leaves a lot wanting, at least in my area.

Fast forward until now (or the past's future!). Ting is now operating as both a GSM and CDMA carrier! They are using T-Mobile's network with roaming to AT&T. It is just beta now and you have to be invited. I activated my Nexus 5 on the GSM side today and so far I'm loving it. Signal strength is much better in my office at work. It is faster.

It will offer Voice/Text roaming to AT&T, but you would not have data on AT&T's network. So ultimately I will just have to use it over the next few days/weeks to see how it goes with all the places I go.

It will also be interesting to see what Google does with their upcoming MVNO.
  • Moderators

I'm about to switch to Ting. I just found out this week that they are now supporting GSM phones. Got the invite, I just need to order my SIM card.

Order it:) It took I think 2-3 days for the SIM to get here. Don't forget a discount coupon!

I will say that initially I was a bit disheartened because it appeared data was not working in my office location. It turned out that you have to setup the Ting APN manually. After that it went to working fine. Edited by CZ9MM

I pay $100 a year for a Tracfone.

I did that for a long time and it worked great for me.  I paid about $85 a year.  If it meets your needs they are great.  I've become spoiled and like to carry around a computer (smart phone) in my pocket now.

A few weeks ago I posted on here regarding how to save money on your monthly mobile phone. Well, I finally found the following service: $25 Off Coupon!

It technically uses the Spring network, but offers free voice roaming on Verizon. Since I only use my phone for talking and testing  this essentially means I can use the phone wherever I have Spring or Verizon service!

What makes this service great is that you pay based upon how much you use. It is I suppose essentially prepaid, but I like the way it works better than most prepaid options. For example, I'll be paying for 500 minutes and 1000 text messages. That will be just a hair over $20 a month. If I use less than the lower tier (100 minutes and/or 100 texts), it would be closer to $12 a month. The tiers are based upon each group (voice, text, and data). You only pay for the tier you use. 

I am currently under contract with Verizon until 4/30/2013. I've been paying roughly $50 a month (after a 19% discount through my employer). That gets me 450 minutes with unlimited text and mobile to mobile. Roughly $50 through Ting would get you 2000 minutes and 4000 texts. So I feel I'll be saving a lot of money by using the service. Just though I'd pass this information along, because like myself I am sure everyone wouldn't mind saving money. They also have pretty flexible smartphone plans. You can also "Bring Your Own Device" as long as your phone is compatible. I just bought the Samsung Array (the only "Feature Phone" they offer for sale.

I will let everyone know how the service works out after I've been using it for a while. But for now I am pretty excited about it because I'll save $30 a month.

Ting

I have been using Ting for some time.  It saves me a lot but the sprint network sucks and data is only done on the sprint network.  They are starting trial to also support tmobile.  Looking forward to try that as well.

Thanks

Robert

• Moderators

I have been using Ting for some time. It saves me a lot but the sprint network sucks and data is only done on the sprint network. They are starting trial to also support tmobile. Looking forward to try that as well.

Thanks
Robert

Yep. I updated a few posts above in order to speak of the T-mobile network. Using it right now. So far it is so much better than Sprint's. Will just have to keep using it to see coverage everywhere.

Yep. I updated a few posts above in order to speak of the T-mobile network. Using it right now. So far it is so much better than Sprint's. Will just have to keep using it to see coverage everywhere.

I am getting ready to move from Maryland to the Nashville area and was planing to test both and see witch one works better.  Our current phones are several years old so I am likely going to get a cheap GSM phone for testing and see witch one works better.

Thanks

Robert