Score!!

Well i guess to me 800 rounds represents 1 maybe 2 weekends of shooting (unless the days are like today which case it would last me a lifetime). I guess i assumed that Joe would shooting as much as me and i guess some others may be assuming that Joe shoots a box and a half per month so i guess assuming doesn't work. I sympathize with Joe because i personally have got the time neither to hang around Shops in person  or scour the web waiting for something to show in stock. I just found and bought my 2nd box of ammo since before the election so no i would not feel bad about buying 800 rounds of 9mm and 3 boxes of .22 if i happened upon it. I've also been able to give some ammo to folks needing it to take their HCP course and just to be able to take their family out to shoot for an afternoon so i guess thats another reason i could buy with a clear conscience. So there again i assumed that others that are fortunate to have some ammo or to happen upon some might would be willing to do the same for others. I just think maybe Joe deserves the benefit of the doubt the he isn't padding and already huge stockpile and that he might be willing to help out another in need. I have used up all of my assumptions for the day so on to something else i suppose.

The ammo that I have plenty of "set back" was bought when it was plentiful and cheap. If anybody is buying it all up now when prices are high just to have it "set back" they are just compounding the problem and extending the shortage and high prices. My guess is if everybody would buy only what they need instead of stockpiling when prices are high the ammo shotage would be over in a week. If the OP  bought this ammo because he has a match to train for or it is his normal montly shooting supply then good for him. If it sits in his cabinet for the next year, he may not feel so lucky everytime he sees the price stickers on the boxes and realizes the same ammo is then for sale at a lower price when this madness has finally passed.

Buying only what you "need" is relative. This week I only need 100 rounds for the range, but if I can't find it for another 5 weeks I "need" 500 rounds.

OP congrats on the score.
  • Like 5

well truth be told i HAVENT been shooting much because i didnt want to go through what little i had on hand simply because i couldnt find anymore ... my wife had the misfortune of becoming addicted to shooting just before all the ammo dried up and she has been dieing to get out and shoot the SR22 and M&P22 more so now we have that option .. i have 3 9mm handguns i havent even been able to shoot yet, and now hopefully she can step up from the .22 to the 9mm soon 

• Like 1

So how much did you leave for the next customer?

+1

Last time I ran across bulk .22 there were 5 packs of 525 @ $24. There was no limit. I took 2 packs (one for myself and one for a buddies 15 year old son). They asked if I wanted more.

I told them I though some others deserved the opportunity to be able to purchase ammo and enjoy our sport.

• Like 1

+1

Last time I ran across bulk .22 there were 5 packs of 525 @ $24. There was no limit. I took 2 packs (one for myself and one for a buddies 15 year old son). They asked if I wanted more.

I told them I though some others deserved the opportunity to be able to purchase ammo and enjoy our sport.

congratulations you got about the same ammount i did ... if that makes me a "bad gun owner" in some peoples eyes then i can handle that .. they werent there to help me out when i couldnt find any so i wont lose any sleep over their opinions.. someones gotta get the last box on the shelf, better me than someone who's gonna turn around and sell it for $75 on gunbroker  

Edited by JoeJ615
  • Like 2

Buying only what you "need" is relative. This week I only need 100 rounds for the range, but if I can't find it for another 5 weeks I "need" 500 rounds.

OP congrats on the score.

I 100% agree.  I go through 1000s of 9mm and .45 every year and only buy in lots of 1000 or 2000 at a time.  That may last a month.  So why all the heartache if a guy buys a case when he has a chance? Some of us actually buy and shoot that quantity.   Some people play golf or go boating and some of us spend our money on ammo and range fees.

Joe, I hope you burn that entire box through that M&P in one range session!

• Like 3

I 100% agree.  I go through 1000s of 9mm and .45 every year and only buy in lots of 1000 or 2000 at a time.  That may last a month.  So why all the heartache if a guy buys a case when he has a chance? Some of us actually buy and shoot that quantity.   Some people play golf or go boating and some of us spend our money on ammo and range fees.

Joe, I hope you burn that entire box through that M&P in one range session!

lol yeah she's a beautiful gun and i havent even shot her yet, and i just picked up a H&K MP5 .22 as well ... between the 2 im sure the ammo i picked up wont last very long lol

well truth be told i HAVENT been shooting much because i didnt want to go through what little i had on hand simply because i couldnt find anymore ... my wife had the misfortune of becoming addicted to shooting just before all the ammo dried up and she has been dieing to get out and shoot the SR22 and M&P22 more so now we have that option .. i have 3 9mm handguns i havent even been able to shoot yet, and now hopefully she can step up from the .22 to the 9mm soon 

Thats kinda the situation i thought you to be in based on your original post. No one likes to shoot down to empty and then be completely out wondering when the next time they will have anything will be. I personally reload and have some supplies so i wouldn't have needed that much 9mm so no, i probably wouldn't have bought 800 rounds. That being said if i didn't reload and had no reserves i would have been tickled to find 800 rounds so that i could do a modest amount of shooting and not be bone dry after doing so. I personally have been about out of .22 which my wife has started to shoot and enjoy and for the 1st time since the madness i found a winchester 333rd pack a few days ago for her. I was glad to have it but thats it 333 rounds and we are back in the same boat again so yes if there had been more there i would have bought more. To me, until someone is out or almost completely out they shouldn't cast stones at someone that has been and then got the opportunity to not be. Just my opinion and it may be worth no more than i charged for it. 

• Like 4

lol yeah she's a beautiful gun and i havent even shot her yet, and i just picked up a H&K MP5 .22 as well ... between the 2 im sure the ammo i picked up wont last very long lol

Not hard to go through a couple of bricks in an afternoon with those.

Enjoy your good luck.

• Like 3

Well the next time you feel the urge, :poop: me a brick of .22lr  :lol:

I actually gave a Winchester 333 box of .22 to a buddy a few weeks ago. I'm kinda low on 22, but never shoot it. I always shoot center fire when I manage to get to a range. I'll buy some more 22 when it shows back up. I'm holding out for mini mags.

Edited by mikegideon

I actually gave a Winchester 333 box of .22 to a buddy a few weeks ago. I'm kinda low on 22, but never shoot it. I always shoot center fire when I manage to get to a range. I'll buy some more 22 when it shows back up. I'm holding out for mini mags.

I went the other way. I reproduced my center fire platforms with 22s so I could practice at my home range and save on ammo. M&P 15-22, GSG 1911-22, & Savage Mark ll. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hope your not holding your breath on the CCIs.

I think I have went to the range all but 4 weekends so far this year. The panic and shortages haven't really hurt me, I have been able to find what I needed. Except .22lr, but my parents brought me down 2k rounds they found at Bass Pro up north and since then I have been able to get some at Academy. And since I was able to get small pistol primers a couple of weeks ago I have really been able to shoot my pistols- I even went out in the drizzle today and popped off 100 rounds.

Great find OP. I don't fault anyone for buying what they can find, as long as they use it and not out to make a profit.

first of all i did NOT "circumvent store policy" the policy was 10 boxes per customer per day ... the owner and his wife were both present and they both know me AND my wife, even though we are married we are still 2 different people, so im sorry if the fact that i finally after many months of looking found a decent bit of ammo but i didnt realize that my fellow gun enthusiasts were so in need that they would turn on me like the fat guy in the donner party, secondly i used the term "wiped them out" fairly loosely .. after the 16 boxes me and my wife picked up there were still probably 20 left on the table of the same kind (was on a folding table at the end of the counter with a few other calibers/brands) ... and MANY other boxes of other brands of 9mm behind the counter, i did however pick up  the last 2 boxes of .22 bulk they had, picked up the first 2 (it was 1 box per customer per day) the day before right as they closed, which is why i knew to be there when they opened the next day lol

I went today to buy ammo.  The lady said still a one box limit except for what's on the table.  Just an FYI to save someone a trip if they think they may get several boxes.