squib load for 12 gauge?

Anyone ever make a low power 12 ga. shotshell. I've got a reloader and would like to roll one for as quiet as possible ... for varmint squirrels :pleased: .

I'm in the county but have older neighbors on both sides of me and I respect their peace by not discharging anything louder than my air rifles. How little powder could I get away with to make a shotshell that's fairly quiet, but still lethal at 10 yards for blasting the furry varmints that ate the wiring harness on my truck?

Like killer bears in Alaska that taste human blood, these sleasy furballs like rubber coated wiring harnesses and I'm afraid they'll come back for more!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How about just using some of the low velocity 22 rounds.  The box I have are actually quieter than my sons pellet gun.  They are quite lethal on squirrels also.  I think mine are Colibri?

How about just using some of the low velocity 22 rounds.  The box I have are actually quieter than my sons pellet gun.  They are quite lethal on squirrels also.  I think mine are Colibri?

+1 

i use the Aguila Colibri rounds to plink off my back deck with a henry lever action and while the groups are nowhere near what you would get from standard velocity ammo they are minute of squirrel all day long at 10 yards, they are only 20gr and advertised at 500fps but i know they will penetrate over 300 pages into a softback book from about 15 feet,  they are supposed to be "pistol only" but i've shot about 2 bricks through the henry i mentioned and a Marlin XT i had with a 22" barrel and havent had any squib loads yet 

Same thing happened to my wifes Honda, Mechanic said they eat the wire coating because its made from rice hulls. 

A 209 primer alone sounds like a firecracker so quite may not be possible.

Yeah, my air rifles work ok. I'm in a residential neighborhood, so I really don't want to fire any .22 bullets in the area for liability. I just thought it be fun to minimally push some shot out of my shotgun with no much more than a primer and a tiny bit of powder. This site was interesting, showing a barrel for metro park use...nuisance geese, got plenty of those around here too, luckily all down at the lake (Old Hickory).

http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/store.php?crn=209&rn=596&action=show_detail