Reloader 15 users please comment

I just got a good deal on some Reloader 15 and some primed brass. All of my bullets that i have for .223 are 55gr fmj and 40gr v-max. The concensus i have read on some reloading data sites is that since R-15 is a slower powder it is more suited for a heavy bullet in the 62-77gr range. Is anybody using R-15 for lightweight bullets (like a 40gr v-max maybe), and what kind of charge weights are you working with?

I did not see any loads for 40 gr.

Even at 55 gr, you get into compressed loads real quick. 

Most of the few loads I saw are for 62 gr & higher.

My opinion, save the RL 15 for larger calibers & heavier bullets.

RL15 (or actually it's military surplus equivalent (Long Range Match )) is one of my favorite powders!    It's fantastic in 308 and I like it even more than the venerable Varget.

The hard part with 223 is that it's powder is in cylinder form.  It makes it harder to dispense through a powder meter.    I guess if you hand weigh each one, then that's fine. 

I found it slightly more accurate than WC844/H-335 but only marginally.

• Like 1
If you need some pm me. I can get more for a decent price. Didnt want to say anything because it could be construed as "third party" and i dont want to be banished. A friend is liquidating some inventory. Powder, primed aac brass, etc. As for the powder though i believe im gonna try out some heavier A-max and see how that goes. Thanks for the input
What's twist rate of your barrel? Typically factory guns are either 1/9 1/8 or 1/14 twist for a 223 if yours is a 1/14 twist anything over 60 grains won't do well and even then 60 grain bullets will be marginal

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

RL15 (or actually it's military surplus equivalent (Long Range Match )) is one of my favorite powders! It's fantastic in 308 and I like it even more than the venerable Varget.

The hard part with 223 is that it's powder is in cylinder form. It makes it harder to dispense through a powder meter. I guess if you hand weigh each one, then that's fine.

I found it slightly more accurate than WC844/H-335 but only marginally.

Im dispensing with a lyman electronic measure. I have been using the CFE 223 as well for the light bullets which dispenses very nicely through my rcbs powder thrower. Usually stays within 1/10gr. If anyone wants to trade some CFE or milsurp equivalent for the Rl15 Im open to offers. Love that stuff Edited by ANDERSON MEDIC

If you need some pm me. I can get more for a decent price. Didnt want to say anything because it could be construed as "third party" and i dont want to be banished. A friend is liquidating some inventory. Powder, primed aac brass, etc. As for the powder though i believe im gonna try out some heavier A-max and see how that goes. Thanks for the input

the aac brass is kind of intersting it was made for the contra rebels in the early 80s

the aac brass is kind of intersting it was made for the contra rebels in the early 80s

Huh, very intetesting! I thought it looked a little old but came to me very clean. All pieces are aac. Got 200 and they were vacuum sealed. No idea when they were primed but the primers are sealed as well. If they fire properly im gonna get more for sure