OWB carry has a definite comfort advantage over IWB

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Since I first got a carry permit when I lived in NC, I've carried IWB basically exclusively. Never really considered OWB carry, due to the increased difficulty of concealing, but today I had my first opportunity.

I had a business meeting downtown with a client, so I actually dressed like a professional for one of the rare times in my life, including a jacket. My initial plan had been to use my IWB holster, but just tuck my shirt behind it and let the jacket conceal it. Unfortunately, it seems I've gained a little weight since I last wore these khakis. There was no way in hell a pistol was fitting inside that waistband.

:up:

So it was on to Plan B. Grab the Uncle Mike's kydek paddle, slap it on, drop in pistol, throw on jacket, model in front of mirror. I was a little worried that there'd be a noticeable bulge, given how the UM holster doesn't exactly snuggle up to my body, but it hid very nicely. On to the meeting!

And man, is there a difference in comfort. Much nicer not to have the muzzle end of the gun periodically digging into my thigh when sitting. Of course, the downside is that keeping the coat on is required if I need to stay concealed. Once I was out of the meeting, I suppose I could have just ditched the coat and OC'd if I'd wanted to... but an OD Green XD in a black Kydex holster kind of clashes with khakis and a blue button-down.

I guess it's time to invest in a stainless 1911 and a nice leather belt-slide holster. As if I need any reason to build up my inventory...

;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but an OD Green XD in a black Kydex holster kind of clashes with khakis and a blue button-down.

c'mon do you really care that much if it clashes?:mad:

I currently carry IWB, but I find it very uncomfortable. I have been toying with the idea of getting a OWB (fobus or blackhawk), but I don't know if I could pull it off. Let me clarify that, I want to CC with a OWB.

I am a T-shirt kinda guy, but recently I have changed my summertime wardrobe to loose fitting button down (untucked) shirts just to give myself a little more coverage and I think I have enough room for OWB carry. My only concern is if I lift up my arm or bend down that the bottom of the holster will show and I will be made.

I plan to go shopping for a OWB holster next week...any suggestions?

Pending fit I am leaning towards the Blackhawk.

Edited by BrasilNuts

Try the bianchi "carry lock" holsters, they pull up nice and tight, I OWB carry my S&W M&P 40c all the time. Now as I have stated before I CC but if it becomes exposed I just cover it back up and go on about my business, I have found if you don't make a big deal out of if then most of the time no one else will even notice, or if they do they don't become alarmed since you are not acting suspious. I'm a big fella 300+ 6' 4" so "hiding" a gun is not exactly easy, and while in the customer service line at wally world I became exposed (right there in front of 1/2 dozen customers, 2 employee's and 4 camera's). no one said squat, I recovered and went on about my business.

...Once I was out of the meeting, I suppose I could have just ditched the coat and OC'd if I'd wanted to... but an OD Green XD in a black Kydex holster kind of clashes with khakis and a blue button-down.

I guess it's time to invest in a stainless 1911 and a nice leather belt-slide holster. As if I need any reason to build up my inventory...

:mad:

Yep, you gotta be careful or the fashion police are going to get you! :mad:

Guest DJBiker

I am a big guy and OWB carry is difficult too. I have very successfully carried a S&W M&P and sometimes an XD 45 as well in an OWB holster. I highly recommend the Galco leather, it rides high enough to hide with a light vest or jacket and is very comfortable too.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Yep, you gotta be careful or the fashion police are going to get you! :)

Hey, I'm just saying that a stainless 1911 with some nice rosewood grips would match the elevated level of dress better. ;)

I was actually going to try using my IWB holster on the outside, but the thing's to friggin wide to pull it off. I don't have belt loop that far apart.

:)

IWB comfort can depend on body build. I am 5'10" and 180 lbs. The most comfortable carry for my Warthog is MOB with a Galco holster. (I carry my KelTec P3AT in a wallet holster in my back pocket. Love it but not much firepower.) I've carried MOB for so long, it feels as comfortable as my wallet. When I don't have it there, it feels weird. Anything on the hip tends to dig in. I know there will be some to decry the behind the back carry but, I'd rather have it there than not carry because it was uncomfortable.

Guest Phantom6

I agree with dralarms. I've been carrying my Springfield XD OWB in a Bianchi #82 carry-loc holster for years and it is the most comfortable holster I have ever used. Rides nice and high. Holds tight to the body. Extremely secure and an easy draw. I highly recommend 'em. They are also available in a paddle style. That's the #83 paddle-lock.

Guest superslacker

I have a Galco concealable OWB holster that's very comfortable, and it holds close to the body. I also have the same model with a paddle, but I don't care for it as much because it doesn't hold it as close to the body. They look decent with dress clothes as well.

Guest grimel
I agree with dralarms. I've been carrying my Springfield XD OWB in a Bianchi #82 carry-loc holster for years and it is the most comfortable holster I have ever used. Rides nice and high. Holds tight to the body. Extremely secure and an easy draw. I highly recommend 'em. They are also available in a paddle style. That's the #83 paddle-lock.

Bah! There isn't a concealable OWB that doesn't dig in my side. A good IWB rides lower with a good belt it's more stable and doesn't dig. With a crap IWB design there is no comfort.

Bah! There isn't a concealable OWB that doesn't dig in my side. A good IWB rides lower with a good belt it's more stable and doesn't dig. With a crap IWB design there is no comfort.

Hey Grimel

Which IWB holster do you use? I just bought an XD 40 compact last week and I am trying to decide what holster I want. I've never carried IWB, always OWB and never had problems but I would like to see what IWB is like with a good holster.

Guest grimel
Hey Grimel

Which IWB holster do you use? I just bought an XD 40 compact last week and I am trying to decide what holster I want. I've never carried IWB, always OWB and never had problems but I would like to see what IWB is like with a good holster.

IWB are like shoes, they all fit differently. I can use most of the "good" ones. I'm partial to Milt Sparks and Blackhills Leather. Ken Null, Kramer, Wild Bill, Sam Andrews, Alessi, and a few other small shops make great stuff. Galco does well if you need it NOW even if they do cost more than Milt Sparks. Don Hume and Ted Blocker are best buys. Don Hume is what I buy as a right now holster until I get something from someone else or make my own.

Don't forget a real gun belt. Without a good combination, the gun tends to move and gets the poking and prodding people complain about with IWB. Oh, and your pants need to be one size bigger than you normally wear; I prefer relaxed fit on top of that.

I can't think of anything more annoying and painful than a cheap holster (Uncle Mikes) and a Wal-Mart $10 belt.

Guest nraforlife

I can't think of anything more annoying and painful than a cheap holster (Uncle Mikes) and a Wal-Mart $10 belt.

You forgot the Permit Holder Belt Buckle

Hey Grimel

I use a Ross model 18S, comfortable, went to flea market and got some cheap blue jeans with a couple extra inches in the waist and a couple of wide belts from Wal-mart.

http://www.rossleather.com/Concealment_Holsters-Inside_Waistband_Holsters/c8_28/p233/M18S_Snap_On_Belt_Loop_Holster_No_Thumb_Break/product_info.html

Edited by bubbiesdad
more info
Guest pjblurton

I carry OWB 100% of the time. At 4-o'clock it allows me to sit, buckle my seat belt and bend over comfortably. I had one custom made by D.M. Bullard Leather in Texas and it has a nice forward cant that helps reduce printing.

Aug04_0002.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'll throw my vote in for Galco.

It's the only ready made holster I'll buy as I've had fit issues with many others.

Never had issue one out of Galco.

I had a De Saints owb (outside waist band) holster for my NAA Guardian and that thing would get you killed!

It would catch the snap when you TRYED to pull it, really bad stuff.

But I also use Three T Tony in Franklin (TTT), really good stuff!

I'll also agree with a few others on here;

1: Forward cant does help ALOT.

2: If you bend anyway or lift your arms and your gun is exsposed, who cares.

First of all you haven't broken the law and so you can't get in truble, sec. most of the time it's only people who carry guns all the time, I.E. Cops or carry permet holders who even come close to noticing if someone is carring, even when it's exsposed.

So go with it man!

I carry inside the pants with a Galco NSA with my full size P226, outside the pants with the Galco High Ride on same gun and in my pocket wtih a TTT pocket holster with the NAA 32naa.

All works great but you won't beat my speed with the High Ride on my side.

Lord bless.

~Micah

Guest TackleberryTom

200906130242_056.jpg

I carry this every day. I only pull my shirt overe when I want to hide it somewhat. Bianchi carry lock paddle. Very secure and easy to draw very fast. Easy on and off as well. I ride a m/c and it is great for that as well.

c'mon do you really care that much if it clashes?B)

I currently carry IWB, but I find it very uncomfortable. I have been toying with the idea of getting a OWB (fobus or blackhawk), but I don't know if I could pull it off. Let me clarify that, I want to CC with a OWB.

I am a T-shirt kinda guy, but recently I have changed my summertime wardrobe to loose fitting button down (untucked) shirts just to give myself a little more coverage and I think I have enough room for OWB carry. My only concern is if I lift up my arm or bend down that the bottom of the holster will show and I will be made.

Pending fit I am leaning towards the Blackhawk.

I think you'd be surprised just how little people notice... People just don't spend that much time looking at you waist to notice exactly what you're carrying IMHO...

I've worn just a loose fit t-shirt over a Serpa CQC holster... A police officer or another HCP holder would have made me pretty quick, but my entire extended family didn't even notice after spending the entire day with them.

Better to be comfortable and carry all the time (even if you print or the holster peaks out every once and awhile) than to leave the gun at home.

Guest SUNTZU

I started carrying IWB last week with an MTAC. I had been carrying with a Bianchi carrylok. I have was surprised to find the MTAC is more comfortable to carry than the Bianchi. As you may have gathered from my good friends Mike.357, Garufa, and ftncityfatboy, I am a large man, but I know what love is, Jenny.