How do you get your HCP.

I was wondering what all ensues with getting your hand gun carry permit.

I know you have to take the carry class, but was wondering what happens in the class. And then what you have to do after you pass the class? I know the DMV is who gives you the actual card. But what happens between the class and that if anything? Thanks for the help. I know it is a dead horse for a lot of you, but you are helping bring new blood into the HCP scene.

EDIT:   Can you take you handgun carry permit class before you are 21, or do you have to wait? I would like to be able to roll into the DMV on my 21 bday and hand them this and for license renewal. And if I can, how long is the proof certificate good for?

Edited by LenoirGunner

1. Take the class.  They tell you about the TN carry laws.  They tell you lots of things you can't or shouldn't do, sometimes they're wrong. 

2. Pass the written test at the end of class.

3. Pass the shooting test after the written test.

4. Take your certificate to the DMV.

5. Pay them and make an appointment for fingerprints.

6. Get fingerprinted.

7. Wait about a month.

8. Get permit in mail or letter saying you didn't.

edit... Apologies if that was a tad harsh.  Yesterday wasn't a good day.

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
I'm sure someone will correct me if I don't recall correctly ...

1) Take the course at your choice of place (prices range from free to $80).
2) Fill out application at DMV for permit (can't remember the fee here you pay the state)
3) Go get fingerprinted (can't remember if DMV gives you some form you have to take to get fingerprinted). I got fingerprinted at the UPS store on Gunbarrel road here in Chattanooga
4) Wait for the HCP to arrive!

In the course they cover gun safety, when you can legally use deadly force, what to do if you are pullled over while carrying, etc ...
You take a written test at the end of the course (easy). Then do some shooting on the range (which is another "test" of sorts - it's real hard to fail tho).

My friend who took the HCP course before me said its basically just getting in a room and talking about guns all day. They also have a video they show you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything guys, and I'll edit. Also don't forget the most important part ... you have to do a Wally walk once your permit arrives.

Edit: Well Peejman beat me to it ... but to be fair I did type out a bit more :) Edited by JGunner

Lg,

I got mine in Bartlett years ago. 

The morning started a 830am was spent in class going over the TN Laws. At Range USA they offer up lunch for a price but have good food to serve

from their short order cook. They only gave us around a 30 min lunch then back into class to finish up and take the written. 

Depending on your class size they may split up into two groups to go into the range to shoot while the other group sits around twiddling their 

thumbs. 

On the range, they have you load 5 rounds and you will end up shooting every thing slow fire. The target stats at like 2 or 3 yards. It was so close that

you can darn near reach out and touch it. After that round you will reload on command and the target moves back to 7 yds, then 15, then 25 then it comes back

in to 15 and so on til you use up 50 rounds. 

Heck, it's been so long I don't even remember what the passing score was but no one will hold yer feet to the fire to do anything fast so take yer time.

No-no's. make sure you follow their instructions to the letter on the range. Do not shoot on to anyone else's target or you lose points.

You pay whoever gives you the class then you pay TN like $115 or so for your permit. Permits last around 4 years and they send you a renewal notice in the 

mail ($50 to renew). If you miss your renewal date you gotta go through the whole course again and pay all the money....again.

I shot my quals with a P220 I had bought the day before. I had stopped at wally world and bought 2 boxes of ammo and was going to shoot it at Range...

When i walked in people were signing up for the class the next day (sat.) so I signed up and shoot the gun for the first time during quals. To this day it's 

one of the best shooting .45's I ever owned. It was a single/double action pistol (SA/DA). One of the older ones.

When yer done you have to hang around until they score your target. They also note the gun you qualified on.  At this range they finger print you right there so 

you don't have to go anywhere else but the DMV. It may take until 6pm to get done.

Hope this helps.

Lp

1) My wife & I took the four hour HCP class.....paid $28 each for the class.

2) Next day went to range for shooting test.....included in price.

3) A couple days later, went to the nearest DMV for photo & paperwork....$115 each state fee for license.

4) Drove to finger printing center...included in $115 state fee.

5) Three weeks later recieved our HCP's in the mail.

Some DMV's do finger printing & some don't. My local DMV doesn't take ID photos or fingerprints so it was an out of town trip for us.

Edited by luvmyberetta

The range qualifications have recently changed. I did mine last week and the distances are now 3, 5, and 7 yards. But the size of the target has gotten smaller. The target itself is now 22 inches tall by 11 inches wide. Passing score was 70 out of 100. They get this by giving either 2, 1, or 0 points depending on how close you are to bullseye. I took the test at Range USA at Memphis. It was not as hard as it seems. I got 91/100 and I had several shots that missed the scoring area of the target. I am willing to post a photo of the target it you need me to but I'm not really sure how to do it yet.

Yall missed one point, where, I dont know that part of TN, anyone else know where to send the OP?

Some place where we know has a good instructor.

Looks like US range was posted, is it a good place?

Edited by RED333

Yall missed one point, where, I dont know that part of TN, anyone else know where to send the OP?

Yes. I was very satisfied with Range USA. The instructor I had was a lieutenant for the Madison County Sheriffs Dept. He was entertaining and seemed very knowledgeable. I took my classes over two nights and I believe that he was on duty with the sheriffs dept in the daytime. And I do believe that Range USA has a range in Jackson also.

edit - I believe Lenior City is close to Knoxville so my info won't help him much. But for any one in the Memphis area, I would definitely recommend Range USA.

Edited by jbravo

I am located in Lenoir City TN. I have a place that I have already chosen for an appropriate testing area. I was just wondering what I needed to train for with my hand gun to be able to pass the test, and then what would ensue afterward.