.300AAC upper options input wanted`

Luke E.

I'm wanting to build a .300 blackout and would like to run a pistol length gas system with 16" barrel. Does anyone offer this configuration? I've done some looking this evening with no luck so far. I've seen some short barrels with extended flash hiders to make it legal without a tax stamp but i'd like to keep the full 16" barrel. Anyone have any experience or seen anything fitting my wants? 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell everyone to run a .088" to see if their gun will run. Mine did but I added .005" to make sure it is the ultimate in reliability. When I get my Form 1 back I will be dumping the 3 way block and go with an adjustable block.

Is there any reason not to go ahead and use an adjustable gas block right from the rip and skip the 3 way block?

. That leaves two options. One, buy a factory barrel with a .936" gas pad and have it turned down to .750" or two, have a barrel made from a blank. I went with option two and had a barrel built from a blank. I could have easily turned a factory barrel down but the blank was more appealing because it was SS and built on a McGowen blank.

Stainless is usually heavier but wears much better in my non firearms experience 

- Do you know the weight difference between a factory and SS barrel?

-What in your opinion are the perks of the stainless over the factory?

Is there any reason not to go ahead and use an adjustable gas block right from the rip and skip the 3 way block?

If you only plan on running one type of ammo then an adjustable block will work fine. If you plan on shooting supers and subs then you will spend a lot of time turning the screw on the adjustablt. My 3 way is off-subs-supers and I can switch with a 90 degree turn of a switch.

Stainless is usually heavier but wears much better in my non firearms experience 

- Do you know the weight difference between a factory and SS barrel?

-What in your opinion are the perks of the stainless over the factory?

In a barrel the differences would be hard to tell. I try to avoid cleaning anything I don't have to so for me SS is much better than carbon.

If you only plan on running one type of ammo then an adjustable block will work fine. If you plan on shooting supers and subs then you will spend a lot of time turning the screw on the adjustablt. My 3 way is off-subs-supers and I can switch with a 90 degree turn of a switch.

In a barrel the differences would be hard to tell. I try to avoid cleaning anything I don't have to so for me SS is much better than carbon.

I think i'm missing something... Why would you be planning to switch over to an adjustable? Or is a 3 way block the way to go until you add a can to the mix at which an adjustable becomes preferable?

The reason I run a 3 way is because there is a lot of extra pressure with the 12" of barrel past the gas block when shooting supers. When I cut the barrel down to 9", with 5" past the block, the pressures will will be close enough that I do not need to seperate the super and sub pressures. I can tune it for the subs and the super pressures will not be an issue.

I will be adding a can and will tune it for use with the can to reduce wear and tear as well as keep the action much cleaner.

The reason I run a 3 way is because there is a lot of extra pressure with the 12" of barrel past the gas block when shooting supers. When I cut the barrel down to 9", with 5" past the block, the pressures will will be close enough that I do not need to seperate the super and sub pressures. I can tune it for the subs and the super pressures will not be an issue.

I will be adding a can and will tune it for use with the can to reduce wear and tear as well as keep the action much cleaner.

Okay, just trying to cover all the bases because i am going at this with a can in mind (if everything settles down), I intend to stick with the 16" barrel though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the time is drawing nearer. Lower is supposed to be in tomorrow and after that i believe all i will have left to pick up is the barrel, delta ring, gas tube and 3way gas block, I may be forgetting a few small items but those four parts should net me a complete rifle. Of course then starts the tracking down of reloading and casting equipment but i won't rope that in with the gun build. Now to pick up the extra side work to fund the last few parts without "getting in trouble"  :ugh:

Luke hope you guys like these, should be awesome builds

They will be great. I'm going to run by the office today and grab a punch set and a few other things so I can install the LPK. I'm just going to have to keep an eye out for a barrel that I can make work.

CMMG makes a 16" with pistol gas if you don't want to have one built from a blank.

I saw that they did but it said that they just do seasonal runs. I've got to start remodeling the upstairs of our house so this build may have to take a back burner for a bit unless I find stuff at a real deal. If I get just a bit closer to my birthday I might talk the wife into an early birthday barrel lol

Another problem with the CMMG is the gas block pad is .936. If you run certain gas blocks you cannot run a free float tube.

Yea I've looked at that and if I go with CMMG I will turn the barrel down. What size is the pad on yours? I think you might have mentioned above but just curious what gas block I'm looking for.

I had mine built using a McGowen blank. It is .750" so the gas block I use will fit under the handguard.

Just curious what I would need to turn it down to. What brand gas block do you run and would you recommend it or something else?

I had mine built using a McGowen blank. It is .750" so the gas block I use will fit under the handguard.

Just curious what I would need to turn it down to. What brand gas block do you run and would you recommend it or something else?

I use a .750" Seekins Precision adjustable block on my 10.5" barrel. It works great.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Seekins_Precision_Adjustable_Gas_Block_p/skn-agb.htm

I use a .750" Seekins Precision adjustable block on my 10.5" barrel. It works great.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Seekins_Precision_Adjustable_Gas_Block_p/skn-agb.htm

What barrel did you buy? Or did you have a custom one built to order?

I bought one from Alpha Shooting Sports. Here is a link

http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/300-Black-Out_c44.htm

It shoots great. I have done any super precision testing but its accurate. I killed a deer with it last fall