good .308 service load?

I'm getting ready to load up a supply of .308 for a couple of FALs. Over time I've picked up cases, primers and some 150 gr tips but haven't got a clue where to start with a powder. I'd like these to be a good service load so they function well. Any load suggestions? Would also be nice if it was an easy to meter powder going through my progressive press.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the powder, I use wc846, works well and shoots well. I use a single stage press so

I measure every load on a scale.

No I wont tell you how much I use, do a google search, you will finds LOTS of info.

I used to see 8# cans of surplus powder available from time to time, haven't seen any lately. Was wondering if it's still available and what kind of powder it is/was.

H335 and BLC2 look interesting as I use BLC2 for my .223 loads.

I have seen a number loads for Varget and a buddy of mine really likes it in his bolt gun. Read a couple of posts elsewhere that it produces more gas that other powders, who knows.

I'm thinking I might need to use the fastest burning powder of those recommended for .308 since I'm going to be shooting them in both a 21" FAL and a 16"

I ended up getting a good quantity of 150s at a good price so that's what I've got. Also have a load of pulled tracers but can't remember their weight, probably 147gr. I really haven't shot either of these to know what they like best. I did try some Brown Bear steel case and while it shot ok, I had to really crank up the gas as compared to some factory WW white box.

Respectfully, I would suggest you forgo any reloading until you have two or three bound paper printed reloading manuals at your fingertips.  One of these should be the LEE Reloading manual because it has listed the pressures for each load.  Free data off the internet is worth usually what you pay for it.

No problem, I have four manuals now and while they do provide a variety of loads I was just wondering if anyone here has a favorite powder for a typical service load. Usually I'll go through and work up a load for a specific gun using the manuals as a starting point, but in this case I'm not really interested in customizing ammo for a specific gun but rather trying to match a 7.62x51 service load using an easy to flow powder.

Looks like 4895 is pretty popular, is it an extruded powder? How does it meter through a measure?

I have seen a number loads for Varget and a buddy of mine really likes it in his bolt gun. Read a couple of posts elsewhere that it produces more gas that other powders, who knows.

I'm thinking I might need to use the fastest burning powder of those recommended for .308 since I'm going to be shooting them in both a 21" FAL and a 16"

I ran Varget through my L1A1 using 168 grn SIE HPBT, 42 grn powder because I had it. SInce it's not a pistol cartridge running through a 16 or 20 inch barrel

you don't need to speed up the burn rate as it will all burn before it leaves the barrel. 

IMR 4895 has been around since WWII. The standard AP load was 47 gr of IMR 4895 in a .30-06 running at 2700 fps. SInce Hodgdon bought out IMR and WIN

brands they have introduced H4895 which I believe is their mix of the same stuff but if you look at the specs they seem to claim its a bit hotter.

When I use IMR 4895 it's only in my Garand and use 46 gr with a max bullet size of 172 gr to protect the op rod. If you find IMR4895 on the shelves then right next

to it will be H4895. You will have no problems metering the IMR,H or Varget in .308. 

I reload everything I own on a Dillon 550B. I use the powder drop to load the case then pull it and dump it onto my electronic scale to confirm the drop. I then stick it back 

into the case on the press and move to the next station.

Being a previous owner I have a little bit of knowledge with the FAL, for whatever that's worth. 

1) it has adjustable gas flow so you can tune it to the cartridges and not much kick.

2) Most had pencil thin barrels meaning the first three rounds are fairly accurate. The rest spread out as the barrel heats up.

3) It's not a sniper rifle. At 300 yds. it will hit within 3 inches of center for the first few rounds. Then...read the line above.

4) You can stick a scope on it by removing the dust cover and sticking on a cover with a rail on it. Beware, there are a lot of 

cheapy rails out there. Stay away from the ones that only have 3 locking screws per side. More is better here. Imho a scope is kind of a waste of 

time on an FAL unless yer getting old like me and need to actually see the target clearly.

5) Remember, it's a battle rifle. The standard bullet was a 147 gr FMJ. If you're loading it to shoot and plink then it's perfect for loading for volume.

The gas system is akin to AK's and it was the M-14's competitor when the USA was looking for a new battle rifle. The M-14 won. It's heavier but

a heck of a lot more accurate than a FAL. If any noticed the new Ar-15 (now old) gas/piston systems. Guess what. They've already been around for 50 years.

It does work though and well. 

I qualified on our range out to 300 yds with one but had to wait a few minutes between shots to let the barrel cool a little.

Throwing lead at 600 yds is a waste of ammo and your time reloading. I use a 40x .308 with Berger 175 gr HPBT Target  bullets behind

43.1 gr Varget to do that.

IMHO they are very cool rifles and were used by 92 countries or sumtin like that.  They come up into your shoulder nice and go bang.

I like em but I prefer accuracy over how much lead i can throw in "that" general direction.

Yes, I talk too much...

Hope this helps.

Lp

Hey Low,

That's good info. These are two I built a few years ago and they do have the pencil barrels. One I converted into a para with short bbl. and folding stock. I've always thought they were neat rifles and solidly built. Haven't shot either of these much but both seem to work fine. Iron sights on both for now. Did put a DSA rail on the para but have not decided what kind of optic for it yet. Considered a 1-4x just haven't gotten around to deciding which one. I figure they are both 300 yard battle rifle guns, so the ammo is just for blastin' although I don't normally go out and do "blastin" it's more like serious plinkin. I can easily ring a gong at 300 with the irons, but it's a pretty big gong.

It's hard to buy any ammo for what I'll have in this. I'll probably load up a couple thousand, but likely won't shoot it up for a while.