Corker-Hoeven: Schumer’s Wimp Brigade Rides to the Rescue

http://www.redstate.com/2013/06/20/corker-hoeven-schumers-wimp-brigade-rides-to-the-rescue/

Corker-Hoeven: Schumer’s Wimp Brigade Rides to the Rescue  

By: Daniel Horowitz (Diary)  |  June 20th, 2013 at 06:42 AM  |  1

WIMP  (wmp)

n.

A subatomic particle that has a large mass and interacts with other matter primarily through gravitation.

n. Informal.

1. a weak, ineffectual, timid person.

Political

Representing a state like North Dakota and scoring a 47% from Heritage Action while working overtime to save Democrats and pass a dying amnesty bill

Imagine if Democrats elected senators from blue states in the northeast who worked behind closed doors with Ted Cruz to craft national right to work legislation or a compromise plan to privatize Social Security?  That’s about as likely as Lady Gaga joining the Family Research Council.

Yet, we continue to elect Republicans like John Hoeven who work behind the scenes to carry water for the progressives.  They gravitate to one-sided compromises that sell out our Republic like flies on ethanol.

By now, you’re probably asking, John who?

Yes, Hoeven has been awfully quiet since being coroneted in 2010.  Aside for the occasional noise about the Keystone Pipeline, he doesn’t do much in the Senate…other than vote to raise the debt ceiling, fund Obamacare, implement an internet sales tax, support earmarks, increase food stamp spending, and vote for every subsidy under the sun.

Now he has taken it upon himself to serve as the less charismatic appendix to Bob Corker in saving Schumer’s dying amnesty bill.  After being outspent exponentially in this fight by the insidious open borders lobby, the truth that We the People have disseminated on this issue is taking its toll on Schumer and his allies.  Nobody in the House wants to touch this bill with a 10-foot pole, and the pathway to 60 votes is diminishing every day.

In come Corker and Hoeven to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and negotiate a poor-man’s Cornyn compromise with the Gang of 8.  In their ineluctable desire to pass an amnesty bill with the requisite window dressing, the new wimp coalition is pushing yet another phony compromise.  Yes, because constituents from states like Tennessee and North Dakota are flooding their offices with calls demanding “give us amnesty or give us death.”  According toPolitico, this deal would be a watered-down version of Cornyn’s amendment, which Erick already exposed as pathetic:

The emerging deal would soften Republican requests for a strict requirement that 90 percent of illegal border crossers be apprehended to hit a “trigger” toward a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, but would provide an unprecedented increase in border security funding and officers and a guarantee on finishing the fence along the Southern border, sources said.

They also say they will double the border patrol.  But what good is more border agents if the administration ties their hands?  Most importantly, all the triggers in this plan will occur after legalization.  So somehow we are supposed to believe that they will actually implement these enforcement triggers after they already have their amnesty.   Needless to say, Schumer calls their work “really productive.”

Folks, at some point we need to start gaming out red state Senate races far in advance in pursuit of a real Republican instead of reflexively thinking about picking up the state with just any R.  It is that mentality – a lazy tendency to pick the first candidate with high name recognition months in advance – which has saddled us with a bunch of prairie progressives from the red states in the Great Plains.

This cycle we have opportunities to pick up seats in Nebraska and South Dakota (and maybe some other states nearby).  We can easily settle for the candidates with the highest name ID without lifting a finger to change the dynamic like we did in Texas with Ted Cruz.  We can easily support another progressive like Mike Rounds to run in South Dakota and have a John Hoeven  clone in the Senate; another man who interacts with Schumer-matter primarily through gravitation to Democrat deal making.  But what’s the purpose of electing a Republican who will use his party ID as leverage to allure fellow Republicans into the Schumer trap?

If these people can’t even stand strong on such a bedrock issue from a state where the people sympathize with our views, they can’t be trusted on anything.

It’s time to paint the Great Plains red.

Edited by JG55

+1..I too assume it's an attempt by the progressives to get enough Republicans to vote for the bill. IMO the Senate is dysfunctional and we have Republicans in the Senate that are definately looking for power and prestige (Romanites). Seems nothing is done in that Branch for the long term good of the Republic.. However I do not think that TN and ND Senators are receiving an overwhelming amount of "For Amnesty" calls from constituents. Corker has received two thumbs down from me. Republican Party is close to going the way of the Romans. As for Rubio I can't figure him out. But then again the group he is running with will eat him alive and he may have already been sucked in to far to recover. The Dems are out to destroy all opposition and doing a darn good job of it.

Rubio is finished as far as I'm concerned...I wouldn't vote for him for garbage collector at this point and I feel exactly the same about anyone who ends up voting for this traitorous bill.

There is noting truly "broken" about the immigration system and laws we have now except for the simple fact that no one in the federal government wants to enforce the laws we have.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

I don't know if it will help but I just sent him and Lamar this note:

Dear Sir,

I am a nationalized US citizen, originally from Venezuela. I became a
citizen after 5 years of being a resident through marriage and the green
card process since my wife was a US Citizen.

I come from a large family and have 7 siblings. I petitioned for my mother
and father to become green card residents after I became a Citizen and
they have been residents since last year. Some of my brothers and sisters
are legally here in the US and some still in Venezuela.

The ones that are here are trying through the already established channels
to become residents, currently they hold visas through their employers.
But they are LEGAL.

The ones that are still in Venezuela, are trying to find a legal way to
come here. Coming here illegally has never been an option for them. And
things in Venezuela no matter how hard you try to ignore the situation are
pretty bad.

Anyone who considers breaking the law to enter a foreign country as an
option no matter how dire their circumstances are should not be allowed a
free pass for breaking those laws. That is not the type of citizen or
resident we want here. They are the ones that are abusing the system and
any new legislation to help them are just going to open new doors for them
to keep abusing the system and keep adding to the already heavy burden we
as taxpayers carry.

If you want to solve this problem amnesty is not the solution, it has
always been part of the problem. The history of amnesty by the US towards
illegal immigration has just encouraged people to keep coming illegally. I
have met many who are here illegally and that is one common hope they
have, kind of an expectation really, they believe they will be legalized
some day. Don't do it now. Don't do it ever again and they will stop
coming like that.

I hope you carefully measure your position on this immigration legislation
because the repercussions of it will affect this country forever. I think
it will cause a shift in demographics and ideologies so large that we will
never be the same.

Sincerely,
  • Like 3

We should all contact Corker and let him know our feelings on this issue. It should be our duty to stop this bill with any legal means possible. As all of us here know, giving illegal aliens citizenship would doom the republican party. And if that happens, you can bet, no more guns. It may take 20 years to happen, but it will happen.

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/?p=ContactMe

http://www.alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Edited by jbravo
  • Like 1

We should all contact Corker and let him know our feelings on this issue. It should be our duty to stop this bill with any legal means possible. As all of us here know, giving illegal aliens citizenship would doom the republican party. And if that happens, you can bet, no more guns. It may take 20 years to happen, but it will happen.

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/?p=ContactMe

http://www.alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Done.  I let Corker know I was embarrassed to have him represent our state.  I'm so sick of our RINOs.  And all O had to do was take him to dinner and golfing a few times.

I sent corker a message that said "I have heard no one in Tennessee that supports any amnesty bill, and with your participation in getting it through hopefully no one else will support you.

Tennessee SB471 and HB0415 could make our Senators think a little when they just go out on their own, disregarding the citizen's of Tennessee's views.
Guest 6.8 AR

I don't know if it will help but I just sent him and Lamar this note:

Dear Sir,

I am a nationalized US citizen, originally from Venezuela. I became a
citizen after 5 years of being a resident through marriage and the green
card process since my wife was a US Citizen.

I come from a large family and have 7 siblings. I petitioned for my mother
and father to become green card residents after I became a Citizen and
they have been residents since last year. Some of my brothers and sisters
are legally here in the US and some still in Venezuela.

The ones that are here are trying through the already established channels
to become residents, currently they hold visas through their employers.
But they are LEGAL.

The ones that are still in Venezuela, are trying to find a legal way to
come here. Coming here illegally has never been an option for them. And
things in Venezuela no matter how hard you try to ignore the situation are
pretty bad.

Anyone who considers breaking the law to enter a foreign country as an
option no matter how dire their circumstances are should not be allowed a
free pass for breaking those laws. That is not the type of citizen or
resident we want here. They are the ones that are abusing the system and
any new legislation to help them are just going to open new doors for them
to keep abusing the system and keep adding to the already heavy burden we
as taxpayers carry.

If you want to solve this problem amnesty is not the solution, it has
always been part of the problem. The history of amnesty by the US towards
illegal immigration has just encouraged people to keep coming illegally. I
have met many who are here illegally and that is one common hope they
have, kind of an expectation really, they believe they will be legalized
some day. Don't do it now. Don't do it ever again and they will stop
coming like that.

I hope you carefully measure your position on this immigration legislation
because the repercussions of it will affect this country forever. I think
it will cause a shift in demographics and ideologies so large that we will
never be the same.

Sincerely,

You are the kind of people who should really be heard. Bravo!

Just got an email. The vote on the Senate amnesty bill has been moved up to 4 pm ET.

I tried to call the offices of both Corker and Alexander but the lines were blown up busy. Instead, I googled and called the local offices of both of them and gave them my polite, but impassioned plea for them to vote against the bill.

I also called Rubio's office and left a similar message. If we don't contact them, they assume we don't care.
Guest 6.8 AR

This is all the work of some in the Republican Party who think the Latino vote, or the Latino community will be

a great factor in the next election, which is entirely false. Historically, Latinos are such a small percentage of

voters, in the last thirty or so years, that their voting block is inconsequential. Neither Democrat or Republican

benefits greatly from this voting block, yet, people like Rove and others are pushing this agenda. He isn't the

only one, though.

All this vote will show anyone paying attention, will be who is or isn't a liberal statist. Charles Shumer is one

person who should be considered no friend of theirs, unless they are themselves liberals. You can strike

a line of demarcation between good and evil between people like him compared to someone like Ted Cruz 

and/ or Rand Paul.

Rubio is making nice with the money in the progressive ranks of the Republican Party because he wants to

be President.

This is all the work of some in the Republican Party who think the Latino vote, or the Latino community will be
a great factor in the next election, which is entirely false. Historically, Latinos are such a small percentage of
voters, in the last thirty or so years, that their voting block is inconsequential. Neither Democrat or Republican
benefits greatly from this voting block, yet, people like Rove and others are pushing this agenda. He isn't the
only one, though.

All this vote will show anyone paying attention, will be who is or isn't a liberal statist. Charles Shumer is one
person who should be considered no friend of theirs, unless they are themselves liberals. You can strike
a line of demarcation between good and evil between people like him compared to someone like Ted Cruz
and/ or Rand Paul.

Rubio is making nice with the money in the progressive ranks of the Republican Party because he wants to
be President.

Agreed. The fat guy in NJ is doing the same thing. RINOs.
Historically, Latinos are such a small percentage of

voters, in the last thirty or so years, that their voting block is inconsequential.

I wouldn't call 10% of the electorate "inconsequential". Arguably depending on populations in various states, if 75% of that bloc had voted for Romney last year instead of BHO, King Nothing might well be peddling books and speaking on the rubber chicken circuit now. New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Florida, and Virginia come into mind first to me, without checking further stats.

Also, that figure will of course rise every year.

Also also, white population will be less than 50% of population in 20-30 years, depending on whose projection you favor.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot