IDPA's new rule book

Im not gonna stop shooting IDPA just gonna bitch about change lol......And yes dirty thoughts indeed. Will have one ready to be unveiled very soon lol.

But you've been having dirty thoughts about Glock.

I'm going to continue to shoot IDPA for now, we'll see how it goes after the new rules have been in place for a few matches.

You're supposed to join after your first match. 

true, per mr ray and the MD/AC make sure  that rule is enforce

Wait, are you/they really saying you are supposed to be an IDPA member to shoot at any IDPA match, or is it just the classifiers?

for the classifier it is idpa members only, again per mr ray

1. No 40 major in CDP. This is just my hangup - as I don't like having to carry a barney mag and it just doesn't make logical sense to limit a division to a single caliber when all other divisions are not.

2. The center of the target is now the line for cover - leaves judgement up to the SO

3. All flat-footed reloads. If the cover extends from the floor and to infinity and is a 10 foot long wall why cant I move. I have to stay in a single position. If my foot moves slightly is that advancing the position -  Leaves more judgement to the SO

4. Holster and mag pouch rules that change based on  people of different sizes. 

All of the other stuff I is inconsequential and some decent improvements.

The Safety Officer is the life blood of the sport so any activity that makes their job a judgement call should be severely scrutinized. The enjoyment of the shooters largely depends on how the SOs "judge".

• Like 1

As I've said a million times I just love to shoot. I was really hoping that the few rules that prevent me from shooting IDPA would go away with the new book, oh well......

Just glad that MCTS has other matches (run and gun/steel etc..) as I really have enjoyed meeting new folks and I love that I have another place to shoot.

Guest sbcman

So it was actually a good thing for you. :)

I guess that is the bright side of this- LOL!

Are you replacing the hammer or ? be careful with that pin if it dont come out easy.

On my 625 back-up I can make the hammer stop just by putting a full strength cylinder bolt spring in it. I thought the same might work for my primary. But, when I opened things I found the frame pressed pin or stud that the hammer pivots on completely sheared off. Gave S&W a call and they said they'd gladly take care of it with about a 3 month turn around. So, I'm looking to just get another frame or another 625.

Just a FYI, if you can keep things lined up when the sideplate goes on the gun will still function and fire even with that stud broke. Just gives you a bad feeling- LOL. I don't know how long it has been like that.

Edited by sbcman

1. No 40 major in CDP. This is just my hangup - as I don't like having to carry a barney mag and it just doesn't make logical sense to limit a division to a single caliber when all other divisions are not.

2. The center of the target is now the line for cover - leaves judgement up to the SO

3. All flat-footed reloads. If the cover extends from the floor and to infinity and is a 10 foot long wall why cant I move. I have to stay in a single position. If my foot moves slightly is that advancing the position -  Leaves more judgement to the SO

The Safety Officer is the life blood of the sport so any activity that makes their job a judgement call should be severely scrutinized. The enjoyment of the shooters largely depends on how the SOs "judge".

1 and 3 that Chandler states are my biggest hangups. 

I'm still going to shoot IDPA, but right now I am pretty annoyed with HQ.

I'm sorry - but this is simply absurd. In what universe is this welcoming to new shooters??

The only group IDPA is less interested in accomodating than new shooters is.. existing shooters.  From what I'm hearing, even input from the "Tiger Teams" was largely ignored. 

Well I'm very disappointed that HQ did not correct the error on Page 4 that I pointed out during the comment period.

Jeff Cooper was not a Full Colonel.  :shake:

He was a LtCol, USMCR.

That important distinction is kind of.., sort of..., well its very important to some of us.  :whistle:  

OK, all kidding aside.

I've been an SO now for over 12 years.   

I don't see where this new rulebook has done anything that really improves IDPA. 

The changes that were made seem to be petty with undue concern for trivial matters.  These changes have only made points of friction and conflict by the creation of dissimilar ideas.  There was insignificant focus on the important, with a deliberate and unworthy foolishness to change the utterly commonplace or unremarkable (i.e., Shooter Ready).   This new rulebook displays a total lack of wisdom and the required anticipating vision of what was needed for the growth of IDPA.

Epic Fail. 

• Like 3

That has been in the rule book from the start of idpa

yes that is true. but I have shooting idpa since 98 or 99 and have never seen that card played till this year, I just hope its applied to everyone equally and not just it suits a need.

yes that is true. but I have shooting idpa since 98 or 99 and have never seen that card played till this year, I just hope its applied to everyone equally and not just it suits a need.

It won't be enforced anymore now than it was before.

I really think the "rewrite" of the rule book was more to fix pet peeves and Pee Pee Slap the ISPC-lite crowd. On the whole it won't really effect anyone shooting "just a club match". And it probably won't hurt the MM to SS/Low end Exp shooters but I expect to see fussing from the "big boys".

8.1.7.5 Didn't even have to look it up, I've got it memorized. My beef is with the now illegal hammers able to close while the cylinder is out. I know, silly me, it would be REAL SERIOUS is the hammer fell while the cylinder was hanging out. There's several of us that are going to have manuever to get things squared before the rule takes effect. Contrary to IDPA's Facebook posts, the US Nats is not the last major of the year and I'm more than irritated that I have to do this stuff to my gun midway through.

To make it worse, this morning I went to work on my 625 to get it in compliance only to find that the hammer pivot pin was BROKE! :rant:  

If your gun does that from the factory it's not an issue. It doesn't say if it does it you are illegal. It says the gun can't be modified to do that. 

You're right about the judgment calls, Chandler. I don't like having to make them either. Trying to judge consistently is already hard enough.

You're right about the judgment calls, Chandler. I don't like having to make them either. Trying to judge consistently is already hard enough.

There is a reason that the term Safety Officer was used instead of Range Officer. 

Your focus was to be - Safety.

Now we're the Home Plate Umpire, Field Judge, Head Linesman, Referee.

With the new rulebook we are expected to be in charge of the beginning and ending of the stage, enforcing the IDPA rulebook and local range regulations, making judgment calls on shooters while they shoot, and then handling the disciplinary actions within the squad.

I'll be the first one to admit that I'm watching the firearm first and always.  I tell whoever is scoring to watch for PEs that I might miss because I keeping the muzzle as my focus.  If the scorer sees anything, I ask that we discuss it After I call a clear range.

My focus will remain Safety.

• Like 1

It won't be enforced anymore now than it was before.

I really think the "rewrite" of the rule book was more to fix pet peeves and Pee Pee Slap the ISPC-lite crowd. On the whole it won't really effect anyone shooting "just a club match". And it probably won't hurt the MM to SS/Low end Exp shooters but I expect to see fussing from the "big boys".

I agree 100%, I was just trying to make a point, if a club or whoever chooses to use that against someone then that club should be used to all who show up at there idpa match. you know be fair to all

a quote

"If you would still like to renew the expired IDPA membership to be eligible for the classifier, "

which is correct per IDPA HQ and something I did not know. (classifier being a members only thing)

Edited by RWF

I've seen a lot of non members shoot a classifier before just for reference or pending there membership I dont see anything wrong with it myself. I may be wrong but I think IDPA only requires a club to have 6 matches a year you just gotta be careful what you call it.. The new standing flat footed rule will really bring the times a lot closer even the revolvers whats interesting is we can do a reload "if our gun is empty" while in the open  going to cover it's easy to be empty when you aint got but 6 rds. It might even help the revolver shooters.

"Finger" call is a PE. Second one is a trip to DQ. Seems a little harsh.

That's one of the few changes that I like, I'd actually prefer one and done.

Hognut says he likes it to. I think it may run off people. Two finger calls does not equal a 180º call or a dropped gun.

So if you get 2 finger (cover) calls that's it you done for the day DQed?

I don't remember it being for cover calls. But you can get DQed in the new rules for the SO just thinking you might do something "bad".