IDPA's new rule book

I guess I'm kind of ambivalent to the whole "flat footed reload". If that is the rule then I will follow it when I play the game. But from a purely tactical standpoint moving from cover with a partially loaded gun is not a wise decision.

If you shoot the BGs in your bedroom and run your gun half empty are you REALLY going to leave cover of the bedroom, and move out into the unknown and up the hallway looking for other possible bad guys while performing a reload?

Or are you going to top off your pistol BEFORE you leave the known area?

I don't know about you but I'm topping off before I leave.

Are there IDPA match specific exceptions? Sure there COULD be (like you have to engage targets around left side and then right side of a wall). If you are still behind cover of the wall is it acceptable to reload while feet are moving behind that wall? You are not really "advancing" you are still behind cover......So if the rule is applied evenly for everyone and EVERYONE can move feet to reload while STILL behind cover OR EVERYONE has to stand still while doing a proactive reload then it is still EVEN and LEVEL for everyone.

The rule has not changed as far as I know. Thta is how it was before...right?  And if you shoot to slide lock out in the open you CAN start reloading on the way to cover. So I don't really see the big deal. It is not USPSA. It is a different game. As long as EVERYONE has to follow the rules equally it really does not matter to me all that much. 

• Like 1

So if you get 2 finger (cover) calls that's it you done for the day DQed?

First finger call is a PE. Second is a DQ.
Some people "hover" their finger outside the guard. I still say finger then because it looks close. Or the HK's with the mag release on the guard. Tough calls.

Some people "hover" their finger outside the guard. I still say finger then because it looks close. Or the HK's with the mag release on the guard. Tough calls.

So now we are playing horseshoes?

So now we are playing
horseshoes?

No. New rule says obviously and visibly. I want it straight with the slide. My point is it is no longer a warning.

Hognut says he likes it to. I think it may run off people. Two finger calls does not equal a 180º call or a dropped gun.

It may run off someone who DQ's but if they cant learn from it and come back safer, then frankly I'm glad they didn't come back. 

The current situation is just way too lax. My current personal practice is if I make a finger call twice then I tell the shooter the next time I have to call finger they are done, DQ'd for unsafe gun handling. I'm glad to see that it will now be a uniform safety rule.

...... I want it straight with the slide.......

Sorry John, but you can't add to the rules.  Nowhere does it say "Straight with the Slide" it states "Outside the Trigger Guard."

Rule in total.

2.6.  The trigger finger must be obviously and visibly outside the trigger guard during loading, unloading, drawing, holstering, while moving (unless engaging targets) or during malfunction clearance.

Putting all BSing aside all shooting sports needs to be on top of safety that's all we need is a accidental discharge going some where it shouldn't. Hell I can see it on the 6:00 news now. Some rules you can fudge on some ya can't. I dont think I'll ever be a SO way to much BS my hats off to you boys

• Like 1

Are there IDPA match specific exceptions? Sure there COULD be (like you have to engage targets around left side and then right side of a wall). If you are still behind cover of the wall is it acceptable to reload while feet are moving behind that wall? You are not really "advancing" you are still behind cover......So if the rule is applied evenly for everyone and EVERYONE can move feet to reload while STILL behind cover OR EVERYONE has to stand still while doing a proactive reload then it is still EVEN and LEVEL for everyone.

The rule has not changed as far as I know. Thta is how it was before...right?  And if you shoot to slide lock out in the open you CAN start reloading on the way to cover. So I don't really see the big deal. It is not USPSA. It is a different game. As long as EVERYONE has to follow the rules equally it really does not matter to me all that much.

You can no longer move behind cover when doing a reload. Tactical or slide lock. You must be flat footed. If you even think about it and lift your foot up you will get a PE. That's how I and many others understand the new rule.

Leave my H&K out of this!!!!!!

No. New rule says obviously and visibly. I want it straight with the slide. My point is it is no longer a warning.

I physically can not do that. I shattered the joint in my trigger finger into about 8 pcs and It will not go straight, there is just enough range of motion to pull the trigger. So I assume if you ever run me through a stage I can expect a DQ or at the least a PE lol

Guest sbcman

I physically can not do that. I shattered the joint in my trigger finger into about 8 pcs and It will not go straight, there is just enough range of motion to pull the trigger. So I assume if you ever run me through a stage I can expect a DQ or at the least a PE lol

If you think that's bad, some of us don't even have slides on our guns, so we are dq'ed for sure:)

cause I ain't that smart, flat foot reloads only, but moving between locations its okay to go to slide lock and start reloading in the open? correct?

if correct and you reach a 10' wall of cover before you finish the reload, I guess then you would go flat footed to finish the reload. T/F

cause I ain't that smart, flat foot reloads only, but moving between locations its okay to go to slide lock and start reloading in the open? correct?

if correct and you reach a 10' wall of cover before you finish the reload, I guess then you would go flat footed to finish the reload. T/F

The way I read it, that is correct. Even if you must advance along the wall to the next target, you must stop and finish the reload.

Just catching up on all of the discussions on the thread. 

Good post Cool Hand Luke!

Rickey,  If you do not obtain your SO certification there will be no way to get you as a club contact for Brush Creek.

Spiffy/RWF you are correct.  It is MY job to ensure all clubs follow the rules of the IDPA affiliation and work with the MD accordingly.  I do go around to clubs in KY/TN to observe how they run matches and make suggestions within the guidelines of IDPA rulebook.  I am required to be at EVERY sanctioned event to oversee the match.   

My main hang up with the rulebook was the subjectivity of the close to the muzzle safe point(180 degree) under the original release of the proposed rulebook back in May.  Now that was removed, I am fine with it.  Don't like some of it but I am not a policy maker with IDPA HQ.  All of the other things were not so unreasonable that would cause myself or Music City Tactical Shooters of discontinue the affiliation.  We still run other matches on other weekends and will do what our customer base ask for. 

As for non-IDPA members shooting IDPA events in sanctioned and/or local is a hard thing to ensure every club is doing it correctly.  Music City Tactical Shooters and Gallatin Gun Club has it written in its club by-laws that members regardless of (example:  IDPA or USPSA) membership allow their members to shoot any and all matches.  Non IDPA members can be scored as 'XXX' by their name.  The IDPA classifier is an official score to IDPA HQ and should only be open to members.  The division for "Just for Fun" for RMR, .22 calibers carbines, etc is up to the MD of the club to recognize.   

IDPA has been so helpful in TN/KY in bringing new shooters to the range without having to worry about the $3000.00 "race" weapons to be competitive. 

Edited by HOGNUT
  • Like 2

"Finger" call is a PE. Second one is a trip to DQ. Seems a little harsh.

That is generous.....USPSA is supposed to be an automatic a DQ on the first offense.

None of the rules go into effect until October. 

Edited by HOGNUT

..... it written in its club by-laws that members regardless of (example:  IDPA or USPSA) membership allow their members to shoot any and all matches.  Non IDPA members can be scored as 'XXX' by their name. 

One of the ideas that I submitted early on during this rewrite was to place anyone not a member of IDPA (even at local matches) into an "out-of-competition" category.  When scores were then posted after a match, only members with an IDPA number would be listed.   

If an non-IDPA shooter wanted to see how they finished among those shooting the match...., they would need to join IDPA. 

Otherwise they could come and enjoy shooting the matches, we would be happy to see them at the range - - - but they would not be part of the competition.  

One of the ideas that I submitted early on during this rewrite was to place anyone not a member of IDPA (even at local matches) into an "out-of-competition" category.  When scores were then posted after a match, only members with an IDPA number would be listed.   

If an non-IDPA shooter wanted to see how they finished among those shooting the match...., they would need to join IDPA. 

Otherwise they could come and enjoy shooting the matches, we would be happy to see them at the range - - - but they would not be part of the competition.  

Why in the world would you want to do that????? 

Why in the world would you want to do that????? 

If you are shooting in an IDPA match and you are not an IDPA member, why should you be allowed the same recognition as dues paying IDPA members? 

If somebody just wants to shoot the matches for the pleasure of it, fine. 

But if that person wants to get all competitive about it and see where their scores rank them - - - Join Up and become a member of IDPA.

Just My Two Cents & Your Mileage Will Vary........

If you are shooting in an IDPA match and you are not an IDPA member, why should you be allowed the same recognition as dues paying IDPA members? 

Why wouldn't you? Who does it harm? It only helps the club and grows the sport as I see it....

edit to add:

I probably don't understand how IDPA clubs work, so I'm just asking and not trying to be confrontational.

Edited by timcalhoun