Are You Paranoid?

strickj

Dont know what to say about this! I dont even have a snappy joke or anything!;):tinfoil:

Conwict's Bug-out Bag, prototype!

Hey guys,

I made a rough list of bug-out bag items that I am going to refine and get some input on...anything with parentheses means I need suggestions, and I definitely need nutrition and 1st aid suggestions. I'm in a bit of a rush so I'm keeping this brief, but if this goes anything like my "pocket survival kit" thread it ought to end up being a wealth of info...rather than just listing items randomly, I categorized. There is obviously some redundancy between categories but that's a good thing.

Please, please, let me know what you think

SHELTER

3 Contractor bags

Windbreaker (recommendations?)

2p. Under armor or long johns (recommendations?)

4 Socks

4 Hand warmers (maybe?)

Gloves (recommendation?)

TOOLS

Compass

Maps

3 Microlights

Radio (what kind?)

3 Folding razors

Romisen RC-G2 1xAA LED

Folding shovel

Wire saw or other compact saw (what kind?)

2 Sporks

Hammer/Nails (What kind?)

Can opener

Screwdriver

EOD breacher bar wrapped with paracord

Needle/threat

FOOD

Olive oil

Protein source - powders, tuna, beef jerky

MREs

Psyllium fiber

Sodium

Coffee

Seasoning

FIRE

3 Lighters (what kind?)

3 boxes Waterproof matches

Tinder (25% steel wool, 25% vaseline, 50% dryer lint)

Magnesium starter

Metal pot

Lighter fluid

H2O

Water purification tabs

Container (what kind?)

H2O (how much? worth taking?)

DEFENSE

50 rounds 9mm NATO FMJ

20 rounds #3 buck, 20 ga.

10 hollow point 20 ga slugs (copper?)

SIGNAL

5 Flares

Signal mirror

Air horn (what kind?)

Whistle (what kind?)

FOOD GATHERING/HUNTING

20 rounds 9mm Subsonic (what kind?)

20 rounds #7.5 20 gauge

5 Pre-made snares (what kind?)

Slingshot (maybe? what kind?)

2 Fishing setup(s) (what kind?)

CHEAP 20 gauge youth model with barrel off for portability, screw on as needed (anyone know a brand that is decent and goes for <$60 used?)

1ST AID ETC

Snake kit (what kind?)

20 Benadryl

Rubbing alcohol (or what?)

Nail clip

Potassium iodide

Cotton

Epi-pen

Bandages

25 Ibuprofen

Antibiotic ointment

Antibiotic meds (what kind?)

What else??

MISC

ID

Cheese-cloth

Fuel replacement (for car...need a brand-name for this, wal-mart used to carry it, gets you about 15-20 miles extra on empty)

20 Caffeine tabs

Sunglasses

Sunblock (what kind?)

Bug spray/wipes (what kind?)

Hat

5 Cigars

Shemagh

"Axe" body spray

Deodorant

Sharpening stone

Rope (what kind, how much)

Para cord (how much?)

5 Batteries for radio and light

Waterproof paper

2 Pens

Sharpie

Toothbrush

Floss

5 Candles (what kind?)

Small Bible

Small Constitution

Compact manuals: navigation, medical, wild foods, field dressing

Cards

2 bars Soap

Monocular (what kind?)

2 Ear plugs

$50

List of items in bag

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=383812
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest REDDOG79

It's a little paranoia but more like being a Boy Scout "Be Prepared"

It's kind of a hobby of mine I get to buy neat new toys and go use them and then go buy more kinda like ammunition

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

When I read his list, I don't think "paranoid". I think "heavy".

What I call a "bug-out bag" should fit lightly on your back, and you should be able to jog while wearing it.

Guest REDDOG79

i can barely jog with nothing on my back walking is as fast as i will be going with any of my BOBs which is why I will be heavily armed

Damn I am too fat I need to do something about this

Guest bkelm18

Eventually when I get my life organized, I'm going to get a big plastic rubbermaid bin and put some basic supplies in it to last maybe 3 or 4 days. Something I can grab and toss in the Jeep in short order if need be.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Damn I am too fat I need to do something about this

I hear jogging with weights attached is good aerobic exercise. :cool:

Guest REDDOG79

just starting to walk around the neighborhood would be a good enough start for me but after working outside all day the AC feels soooooooo good

Guest GUTTERbOY

Regardless of paranoia or the lack thereof, it looks to me like there's a fair amount of stuff there that's outside the area of "survival". I mean, seriously. Coffee? Cigars? Axe body spray?

*sigh*

The whole SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/BOB stuff does seem like it could be an amusing mental exercise, and is probably worth at least putting some passing thought into... but sme of these folks just get waaaaay too serious about this stuff IMO.

Here is what this douche bag carries around in his pockets

Note the words "pocket" and "necessities" :hat:

I recently made a "pocket survival kit" with versatility and reliability in mind. I put only necessities in. I want to list it here for critique or in case the info may be of use to any of you. I've only carried it a few days but it certainly brings peace of mind.

I have spent a few weeks researching various available kits and decided to make my own. Doug Ritter's was one inspiration, although mine is a bit bigger and more versatile.

I have also included my other "EDC" items as they explain what I have left out of the kit itself.

Double-bagged, 2 small zip-loc bags containing:

$10 Calling card - smaller than a cell phone, waterproof, useful in urban scenario possibly

$20 - self-explanatory

1 Bic Mini lighter - went with this as most lighters I've owned have eventually recovered (with some coaxing) from being wet, and it's very compact

1 Lg. piece aluminum foil - the uses are endless

1 Tinder stick - wal-mart variety, apparently cloth or something impregnated heavily with wax. stiff, about 4.5" long, VERY impressive burn times (1/3 of the stick burns hot for 5 minutes)

2 Wax earplugs

4 Melatonin - could come in handy in exhaustion scenario

4 Tiny split-shot sinkers

6 Excedrin Migraine (Aspirin, Tylenol, Caffeine) - lots of bang for your buck. May eventually replace with caffeine pills and vicodin

6 Lg. safety pins - versatility. mostly have clothing repair in mind

Alcohol swabs

Button compass - ripped it out of a coleman thermometer. at least I can read a map or not walk in circles

Carpet/upholstery thread, large-eye needle - sew wounds, clothing, whatever

2 Condoms - Trusty Trojans. For use with water purifying tabs below. Will also kill any sperm that may be in the water source. just kidding, they're unlubricated

Disposable Poncho - first imperative of survival is shelter and maintaining body temp. bulkiest piece of eqp but probably the most useful

Emergency whistle - wal-mart variety. not too great quality, wanna get a FOX40 eventually but it should do

50 Potable Aqua water purification tabs

Small Mirror - very small, for signaling (about 3/4" diameter circle)

Small notepad - already wrote "S.T.O.P." (stop, think, observe, plan) on it

Small pencil - anything to alleviate a bit of boredom or whatever

Thick fishing line, 3 small Eagle Claw hooks - a small hook can catch a big fish or a small fish

Topical antibiotic

Various band-aids - I got some really good 7-day bandaids and also some smaller garden-variety ones. These could come in handy in a non-survival scenario too, so what the heck

EDC items not in kit:

XL bandana in pocket

Kershaw Junkyard Dog II (haven't gotten it yet, recently upgraded from Leek)

Cell phone

Keys

Monadnock Persuader Pocket Stick - non-lethal force

Fenix P2D Q5 (ordering soon)

Guest GUTTERbOY
2 Condoms - Trusty Trojans. For use with water purifying tabs below. Will also kill any sperm that may be in the water source. just kidding, they're unlubricated

Plus they can be used to prevent unwanted pregnancy in the wake of wild jungle survival sex.

Guest Revelator
Eventually when I get my life organized, I'm going to get a big plastic rubbermaid bin and put some basic supplies in it to last maybe 3 or 4 days. Something I can grab and toss in the Jeep in short order if need be.

I have two of these. They're filled with food, water, some simple medical supplies, tools and stuff like that. I just realized I want to add a bottle of whiskey and a carton of smokes.

This guy's going a little overboard. A pocket Constitution? If things get to where you actually need all this stuff, the Constitution isn't going to mean jack.

But it's good to be prepared, and most Americans aren't.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I keep a bin like that in the back of my truck all the time, though it's not really survival stuff... more oriented towards a vehicular problem. Jumper cables, tow strap, trailer balls, ratchet straps and rope, stuff like that...

Guest db99wj
Plus they can be used to prevent unwanted pregnancy in the wake of wild jungle survival sex.

Something tells me that this really isn't an issue with this guy....

Guest GUTTERbOY
Something tells me that this really isn't an issue with this guy....

Well, since we're talking about quasi-fantasy stuff anyway, I think it's a valid point. Sort of.

I intend no disrespect towards an entire group when I say this, but I think that a lot of the folks who go nuts with TEOTWAWKI scenarios and stuff are, to a certain extent, doing it as a sort of psychological thing. I don't know the appropriate terminology here, but I think that some of these folks believe that when the S really does HTF, suddenly they'll be propelled from their current existence as a menial part of the workforce into some kind of charismatic leader. Perhaps they look forward to the time when all the folks, who once laughed at them for their preparedness, now come submissively asking them for help.

I suppose that, to a certain extent, it's the same sort of mindset that drives the hardcore conspiracy folks. It's hard not to get caught up in something like that; the very nature of believing in a conspiracy means that you know more than the unwashed masses. You convince yourself that you're smarter than the rest, because your eyes are open to what's really going on.

In essence, being a conspiracy believer makes you better than everyone else. And like it or not, that can be a hard temptation to resist.

Now, it's necessary for me to qualify everything I just wrote. I don't want to come off like I'm painting with a really broad brush; that's not my intention. I am not asserting that every person who thinks about and prepares for SHTF scenarios as nut cases with delusions of grandeur; I don't believe this at all. But I do think that there are folks like I describe out there, and I think sometimes that the really fervent ones give the rest of us a bad name.

Carry on.