Are You Paranoid?

strickj

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to the conclusion that there's absolutely no way to be properly prepared for the world to end, in a material way... but I sure wish it would already.

I do have some Axe body-spray though.

So your saying your looking forward to "Zombies ate my neighbors" and Anarchy? :death: If so your the kind of crazy SOB I need to be around when SHTF :)

Guest GUTTERbOY
I've come to the conclusion that there's absolutely no way to be properly prepared for the world to end, in a material way... but I sure wish it would already.

I do have some Axe body-spray though.

I'm thinking that, much like self-defense, preparation for survival is more a matter of software than hardware. If I ever have the need to leave my home in a hurry, I'll grab my hunting pack, which has basic survival stuff in it, and whatever other stuff I deem necessary, and I'll make do with that. I think my ability to adapt and improvise will be far more important than having a long list of hardware.

Doesn't mean that there's no value in thinking about hardware, but I just don't personally see the eed to obsess over having every damn thing I might possibly need in a bag.

Personal opinion.

I'm thinking that, much like self-defense, preparation for survival is more a matter of software than hardware. If I ever have the need to leave my home in a hurry, I'll grab my hunting pack, which has basic survival stuff in it, and whatever other stuff I deem necessary, and I'll make do with that. I think my ability to adapt and improvise will be far more important than having a long list of hardware.

Doesn't mean that there's no value in thinking about hardware, but I just don't personally see the eed to obsess over having every damn thing I might possibly need in a bag.

Personal opinion.

Bag hell....when I move out of the current location im gonna build a "fallout shelter" underground with lights, water, generator all that crazy paranoia stuff :death: I have no desire to be mobile...i just wanna be secretive and fortified. :)

It's also good to know beforehand who would be a good ally... ya don't have to be prepared for everything, just know somebody who has what you don't, and vice-versa.

The end of the world isn't going to be a one-man/woman show for anybody.

For less catastrophic events... yeah, it's good to have a first-aid kit, some water and maybe canned goods stowed away. (and, of course, Axe body-spray, for those close encounters)

The old lady and I both have backpacks we keep in our cars. The packs will sustain us for 3-5 days comfortably in just about any condition, then it's time to improvise. My reasons for a mobile pack were 1. travel and 2. disaster situation. I work about 30 minutes from home seperated by bridges and interstates so should "the big one" ever hit, I'm walking or swimming home mostly.

We've got the basics around the house like a first aid kit, water, canned food, but nothing extreme. I agree with Gutterboy's psychoanalysis and i think that's pretty much the "hardcore group" in a nutshell. I have a bug out bag the same reason I carry a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The old lady and I both have backpacks we keep in our cars. The packs will sustain us for 3-5 days comfortably in just about any condition, then it's time to improvise. My reasons for a mobile pack were 1. travel and 2. disaster situation. I work about 30 minutes from home seperated by bridges and interstates so should "the big one" ever hit, I'm walking or swimming home mostly.

We've got the basics around the house like a first aid kit, water, canned food, but nothing extreme. I agree with Gutterboy's psychoanalysis and i think that's pretty much the "hardcore group" in a nutshell. I have a bug out bag the same reason I carry a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

If your gonna go as far as to have a backpack kit you might want to chuck a gas mask in there :)

Guest db99wj
If your gonna go as far as to have a backpack kit you might want to chuck a gas mask in there :)

We live in Memphis, we are immune to the toxic fumes!:death:

Guest clownsdd

I did not read all the rest, but a GPS would be handy.

We keep "bug out bags" in both cars. Also, I have 2, 5 gal buckets with supplies we keep at the house.

After the Memphis ice storm, we were without power for 2 wks. The first couple of days, we did have to dig into the buckets as most of the places were closed. You just have to keep the water and food rotated.

I did not read all the rest, but a GPS would be handy....

For the TRULY PARANOID , note that it is claimed that de gummit can futz with GPS data, encoding it to be erroneous or unusable for normal citizen, to be used in case of a citizen uprising or some such.

- OS

Guest bkelm18

Not to mention the possibility that the GPS system could be knocked out or disabled in some capacity in an attack. In fact, if we were to be attacked by a reasonably advanced country, I suspect the GPS system would be one of the first things they'd go after since a lot of our hardware relies on it. Not saying it'll happen, its just my line of thinking. I'd still have a receiver with me regardless.

Not to mention the possibility that the GPS system could be knocked out or disabled in some capacity in an attack. In fact, if we were to be attacked by a reasonably advanced country, I suspect the GPS system would be one of the first things they'd go after since a lot of our hardware relies on it. Not saying it'll happen, its just my line of thinking. I'd still have a receiver with me regardless.

A simple HEMP attack would bring this country to it's knees faster than just about anything else.

I'm not paranoid, but having a decent understanding of how simple it would be (relatively speaking) to really hurt us makes one consider preparing for those possibilities...

Guest bkelm18
A simple HEMP attack would bring this country to it's knees faster than just about anything else.

I'm not paranoid, but having a decent understanding of how simple it would be (relatively speaking) to really hurt us makes one consider preparing for those possibilities...

Oh yeah, no doubt there are several ways that are relatively easy ways of bringing the country to its knees. Can't really be prepared for everything. Just stuff to keep in mind.

Guest Revelator

What is HEMP? I'm laughing as I type this, but do you mean pot, or what?

What is HEMP? I'm laughing as I type this, but do you mean pot, or what?

Haha, no - HEMP is the acronym for "High Altitude Electro Magnetic Pulse".

http://www.todaysengineer.org/2007/Sep/HEMP.asp

In rough summation, anything electronic would be fried. There are exceptions, of course, but a HEMP attack would pretty much move us back to the 19 century instantly. Best estimations suggest a relatively small (1.4 megaton) nuclear blast at an altitude of about 200 miles (that's the tough part) would basically destroy all electronics in North America instantly. That being said, a smaller yield weapon could be detonated as low as 20 miles in altitude and would be capable of crippling up to 40% of the continental US.

Imagine all communications, autos, computers, even electrical service - anything electronic - is suddenly useless. How long before post-Katrina looks like a walk in the park?

Edited by crimsonaudio