new gamer gun

After a year of shooting IDPA with a Glock 19, I finally succumbed to the pressures of competition and got a Glock 34. I also have a Comp-Tac paddle holster on the way. Like so many, I originally started shooting IDPA to test/practice with my carry gear. I held out longer than most. I usually use a leather thumb-break holster, and sometimes wear an untucked polo as my concealment. I have even been known to shoot a subcompact at our local matches. I will still shoot a carry gun now and then just to stay sharp with it, but I decided that I need a 34 if I'm ever going to make Master.

Special thanks to canynracer for talking me out of that overpriced long barrel HK P30 and convincing me that Glock is the way to go. :cool:

Edited by deerslayer
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
After a year of shooting IDPA with a Glock 19, I finally succumbed to the pressures of competition and got a Glock 34. I also have a Comp-Tac paddle holster on the way. Like so many, I originally started shooting IDPA to test/practice with my carry gear. I held out longer than most. I usually use a leather thumb-break holster, and sometimes wear an untucked polo as my concealment. I have even been known to shoot a subcompact at our local matches. I will still shoot a carry gun now and then just to stay sharp with it, but I decided that I need a 34 if I'm ever going to make Master.
Congrats on the new gun!!! and you know that if you dont start winning, we will know its YOU, not the gun..hehee
Special thanks to canynracer for talking me out of that overpriced long barrel HK P30 and convincing me that Glock is the way to go. ;)
Well, you know, you shouldnt compromise when it comes to PERFECTION!!!:cool::)

troublemaker....:P

Guest superslacker

I havn't ever shot competitively mostly because I can't afford it and partly because I'm not a very impressive shooter, but I'm wondering why you would go with a glock over a 1911 style pistol. I'm a glock fan/owner, but it seems that the 1911 trigger would be better suited for competition. That being said, does the glock 34 have the same trigger as other glocks?

I shoot Glocks competitively because Glocks are what I carry. Some would say a 1911 has a better trigger for competition shooting, while others wouldn't. I like 1911s, but I don't think they are that much better for IDPA. I can take a Glock and hold my own against most 1911s. There are three divisions in IDPA for semi-autos: SSP (Stock Service Pistol) is for DAs and is dominated by Glocks, CDP (Custom Defense Pistol), which is where .45 1911s go, (although any .45 owner w/ eight rounds in his magazine can shoot CDP), and ESP (Enhanced Servie Pistol), which consists mostly of 9mm 1911s and slightly modified Glock 9mms and .40s. The reason I am explaining all this is to point out that most 1911 and Glock shooters technically don't shoot against each other. In reality, everyone compares their scores to everyone else.

The Glock 34 has a slightly lighter trigger than other Glocks. I am thinking about putting my 19 trigger parts into the 34, mainly because I am so used to that trigger, but also because that gun has 12 or 15,000 rounds through it, and it is slick. Not light, but nicely broken in.

Trust me, you don't have to be a dead-eye shot to compete.

;)

The Glock 34 has a slightly lighter trigger than other Glocks. I am thinking about putting my 19 trigger parts into the 34, mainly because I am so used to that trigger, but also because that gun has 12 or 15,000 rounds through it, and it is slick. Not light, but nicely broken in.

:)

I think the only difference as far as trigger pull is concerned is that the 34 has a 3.5 connector in it. I dont think the factory does anything other than that. Springs are normal. Correct me if i'm wrong.

That's right--the 3.5 connector is the only difference. I'm not sure why they call it a 3.5, because the 34's trigger is more like 4.5 pounds. It's a little lighter and a lot grittier than my 19's.

12-15k rounds will do that to any tupperware gun. I've got a 2nd Gen XD that's the same way after nearly 9k rounds. Infinitely better trigger than a gently used 3rd gen a buddy of mine has. Although the trigger on the XD-M I fondled at Gun Depot last Saturday wasn't too shabby for a NIB .40S&W

Guest jcramin

Well I have my carry gun S&W1911SC and my paddle holster I wear daily. I also have 6 mags in preparation of starting IDPA. My only problem is I cant find any mag holsters/pouches so I can carry the 5 extra mags.

ALSO, do I need to actually carry 5 extra 8 shot mags shooting IDPA with a 1911 ?

J

After a year of shooting IDPA with a Glock 19, I finally succumbed to the pressures of competition and got a Glock 34.:rolleyes:

Congrats on the new pistol. I also have a G34 that I use for a range gun. I do not have any plans for competing as of yet but do want to change out the sights for something better. I want adjustable sights for sure but can't decide which way to go. What are your thoughts?

Had a couple of guys wanting new sights put on the their Glocks that i was working on. A few of them had me put the black Heine's on and they reported nothing short of good results from them. They were only about 50 bucks for front and rear if i recall.

Guest superslacker

Deerslayer,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you compete at? I've heard that Rangemaster has some IDPA events, but that's all I've heard of in the area.

Deerslayer,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you compete at? I've heard that Rangemaster has some IDPA events, but that's all I've heard of in the area.

Rangemaster- every Friday night (except tomorrow)

Range USA- every Tuesday night (range temporarily down)

MSSA-2nd and 4th Saturday of each month

I rarely miss the MSSA matches and rarely get to shoot Rangermaster or Range USA.

Congrats on the new pistol. I also have a G34 that I use for a range gun. I do not have any plans for competing as of yet but do want to change out the sights for something better. I want adjustable sights for sure but can't decide which way to go. What are your thoughts?

check dawson precision:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+REAR:Glock

Guest canynracer
Rangemaster- every Friday night (except tomorrow)

MSSA-2nd and 4th Saturday of each month

I rarely miss the MSSA matches and rarely get to shoot Rangermaster or Range USA.

Hey, I heard RangeUSA is back up for classes and IDPA....may wanna call to verify ;)

/thread hijack

How's the repair going there? I don't get over there much any more because I play somewhere almost every Tuesday.

EDIT: Never mind, just now saw Evan's reply above.