CURRENT Production LWRC Opinions

I am thinking of finally getting a high end AR. I am really looking at an LWRC SPR. Love the fit and finish. I know there have been issues with early LWRC models (supposedly before the ownership change), so I am looking for opinions on CURRENT production (probably made within the last 2 or 3 years, really). I know about Daniel Defense, Colt, Noveske, etc., but not really that interested in those (at least not yet). The two (2) things that are question marks for me (because I just dont know) on the LWRC are (i) reliability and (ii) durability/ease of repair. The gas piston system concerns me simply because of potential unavailabilit of parts. But if it is sufficiently reliable, I may just take my chances.

So, looking for informed opinions on it. Thanks. Edited by midtennchip

LWRC is an excellent choice, I've read about several gents who have used them overseas and even came across a PSD upper on gunbroker that belonged to an operator from Afghanistanmerica and had the papers proving that it was used(not that the finish didn't scream it either but these days you need certifications for your certifications). Nutnfancy did a review on one and LOVED it as well, while I don't take him as the final word I will say he gives you an honest review as to what he has in his hands and dealt with. I've held the SPR down at the Outpost Armory in the Boro and it felt VERY light weight for what it is which they had it marked at $2600ish which is a very good price for an M6 SPR, when AIM had them they were $2499 which was, according to them, under their cost. That was going to be my next AR purchase until I decided to buy local and go with a Barrett REC7 but may yet get an LWRC, I'm still somewhat on the fence about it as they are both comperable rifles and very closely priced.

I have the LWRC M6A3 tac driver of a rifle the hand guard gets a little warm but that's due to the piston gas sys . Bolt group is very very clean no carbon in the upper at all , so most of the time after I go to the range all I have to clean is the rifle bore , when I bought mine I bought a extra piston rod and rod spring but to this day I have never had to change it going on about 8,000 rounds now with out a problem at all . You are more than welcome to come shoot mine in spring hill and see what you think. Jest bring your own ammo and shoot away. Jest let me know when.
  • Like 1

I have the LWRC M6A3 tac driver of a rifle the hand guard gets a little warm but that's due to the piston gas sys . Bolt group is very very clean no carbon in the upper at all , so most of the time after I go to the range all I have to clean is the rifle bore , when I bought mine I bought a extra piston rod and rod spring but to this day I have never had to change it going on about 8,000 rounds now with out a problem at all . You are more than welcome to come shoot mine in spring hill and see what you think. Jest bring your own ammo and shoot away. Jest let me know when.

Not a bad idea, especially if the crap hits the fan and that is your go to rifle.

You'll have available parts for the gas system if the schumer hits the presumable fan(in a 'grid down' or TEOTWAWKI) since there won't be any parts for your weapon as it is a GP instead of GI. Not a statement of saying it sucks if that's what your thinking. ;)

Edited by whitewolf001

I own one - you can check out my pictures, if you have the cash buy it you will be very happy with it. looking at the piston i wouldn't worry about it that thing will last forever and also they sell piston parts in case it breaks. Just look at the folks buying SCAR's parts are hard to come by but people love them - i personally think the SPR is an awesome weapon and in my opinion equal if not better then SCAR.

my opinion - piston rifles are the future -  very clean to shoot = less chances of jamming,  also you are welcome to try out mine just bring some ammo.

Edited by Sonny

LWRC makes excellent rifles, you can't go wrong with one.  Upper/lower fit is usually very good, but I have seen some lately that are a little sloppy.  That doesn't really concern me, but some people like a nice tight fit. 

The gas piston is a multi-piece design (which concerns me simply because I like as few parts as possible), but it is a proven design.  LWRC's gas piston is basically a copy of the old German Gewehr 43 gas system.  If parts availability is a concern, I would see if LWRC sells just the piston parts, so you can have some spares.  Spare parts a good idea whether you have a gas piston or a DI rifle.

I have an m6a3 in 6.8. Couple thousand rounds later, still not a single jam. It's pretty flawless. Well, fronts a little heavier than a DI gun for obvious reasons but worth it when running suppressed. If you can afford it, do it. Ill be getting a PSD upper as soon as I can find one at a decent price.

Or sell one of my mp5's so I can afford it...

I have an m6a3 in 6.8. Couple thousand rounds later, still not a single jam. It's pretty flawless. Well, fronts a little heavier than a DI gun for obvious reasons but worth it when running suppressed. If you can afford it, do it. Ill be getting a PSD upper as soon as I can find one at a decent price.

Or sell one of my mp5's so I can afford it...

orly.jpg

I've got the SPR as well as the REPR - both are great rifles. I used the REPR to hunt with last year. It handled well in tight quarters and never gave me a problem no matter how bad the weather got. I've been very pleased with both rifles.

My LWRC has been flawless. As mentioned above, spares are a good idea regardless of the platform.
LWRC has all the spare parts you want available on their web store.
The only thing proprietary on the LWRC is the piston system and bolt carrier. The piston system is easy to disassemble and very durable.

Also, the SPR’s that are being released now have fully ambidextrous lowers. Edited by PC7
I saw those posts. Not sure what the guys on m4carbine.com have going, but that was the ONLY place I saw some negative comments. I don't completely discount it, but was looking for some additional input. I have found the extra parts for the LWRC are in stock, so probably will go that route when the time comes.
Well lets all get together and go to CHMR range I guess we all shoot there and bring our LWRC's out to play - also who ever mentioned to have a REPR - (Chris) if you could bring it out I would love to see that thing and get a feel for it that is my dream 308 - who is up for it!

Well lets all get together and go to CHMR range I guess we all shoot there and bring our LWRC's out to play - also who ever mentioned to have a REPR - (Chris) if you could bring it out I would love to see that thing and get a feel for it that is my dream 308 - who is up for it!

I'm in , I would like to see the REPR also , have never seen one shot before . calling al LWRC owners for a meet and shoot. sounds like fun to me . Edited by ted