I want one... 28 gauge Rossi

sdfd

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since the first one came out, I've been less than thrilled by the prospect of shooting one.

Yes, they are cool and in tip top shape would be great.

.....let that sucker get a little out time and , well....good bye left hand flesh.

Go for the 28.

A guy has to have a fun gun, and it is his choice.  (I would want one of each...I love odd/soon to be out of production/downright discretionary...guns.)

For example, I have a NAA Earl.

Edited by R_Bert

I would have gone 28 but is not on market that I can see.

Taurus had planned to make a 28 gauge version of 'The Judge', I believe.  They ended up cancelling that one.  IIRC, it was because the bore would be 'larger' than what the ATF allows for a handgun.  Maybe it also had something to do with there not being a non-shotgun equivalent (meaning the barrel would have no rifling, i.e. a smoothbore handgun which fires fixed ammuntion, which I am pretty sure is an ATF no-no.)  It does seem that Taurus was fairly set on producing that gun and they actually debuted it at a SHOT show a couple of years back.  In fact, what I have read was that the ATF came by the Taurus booth at SHOT, looked over the one they had brought with them and told them that the 28 gauge Raging Judge would be a short barreled shotgun, not a handgun, under ATF rules.

The Circuit Judge version might have gone down in flames, as well, when the handgun version was cancelled.  If you notice, while the 'technical specs' and title at the top of the page list '28 Gauge', the descriptive blurb talks about firing .410 and .45 Colt ammunition.

Personally, the Circuit Judge is the only Judge I'd care anything about owning.  I think I'd go with the .410/.45 version over the 28 gauge version, though.  .410 seems a little more available with greater ammo variety more readily available (in addition to field loads, I have seen .410 slugs and .410 buckshot even at Walmart.)  There is also 'personal defense' ammo made specifically for .410 - I am not sure that is true of 28 gauge.

NOTE:  I was looking around on the 'Net trying to refresh my memory about the 28 gauge Judge.  According to what I found, when Taurus put up a message that it was being cancelled, they did say that a long gun version would be available from Rossi 'at some point'.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/big-gun-short-lived-taurus-28-gauge-revolver/

Another NOTE:

I found the 28 gauge listed in a couple of dealer/distributor catalogs.  However, one said that they are 'backordered' and the other states that inclusion in the catalog does not mean that they are in stock.  I have never dealt with either of these businesses and really know nothing about them - I am posting these links for discussion/example purposes only.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BTSCJ28B

Notice that the description on this site, like the Rossi website, talks about shooting .410 and .45 ammo even though the listing is for the 28 gauge version:

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=61664

Edited by JAB
I saw one of those ak .410 with a 30 round clip for sale somewhere today for 950 thats just to much but it would be fun!.....

I seen that it was still talking about 410 on the web site I'm going to just go 410. The academy in hixson does carry 16 and 28 gauge always on the shelf I bought some 16 last week.

I read a couple reviews on the 410 and they all where pretty good just a judge with a stock. Some said it was very accurate with the 45lc.

They also have a 22lr/22mag 9 shot sounds fun but 600 little high on it maybe ill find one of them on 2nd hand market if I end up liking the 410.
I saw one of those ak .410 with a 30 round clip for sale somewhere today for 950 thats just to much but it would be fun!.....

I seen that it was still talking about 410 on the web site I'm going to just go 410. The academy in hixson does carry 16 and 28 gauge always on the shelf I bought some 16 last week.

I read a couple reviews on the 410 and they all where pretty good just a judge with a stock. Some said it was very accurate with the 45lc.

They also have a 22lr/22mag 9 shot sounds fun but 600 little high on it maybe ill find one of them on 2nd hand market if I end up liking the 410.

You can still get the unconverted Saiga 410 for around $400. The mag you saw was a 10 or 15 round, the 30s are a drum.

With the Arsenal Saiga 410 you need to shoot 3in shells or it won't cycle. They :rock: but the're not cheep to play with. I found my Arsenal a few years ago for under $600 new, couldn't pass it up at the time and glad I didn't.

I take that back $400 not even close. Sorry, the ad I saw was a "not in stock" left over from the pre crazy era.

Now I'm really glad I jumped on that Arsenal!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by crossfire