New Ruger KLCR - .357mag - Problem?

I posted the following on the Ruger Forums, but they weren't much help. One other guy said his was doing the same... but he too wasn't sure if it was right. I know there were a few LCR owners here... did you have the same experience?

I just purchased a brand new KLCR .357 Magnum a week or so ago and fired about 25 rounds through it (158gr jsp). It's a beast, to put it lightly... but I really like this little pistol.
The issue that I'm having with it is... and it may be normal, but when you press the trigger, and I mean ever so slightly, the cylinder stop will drop down far enough so that the cyllinder is able to be turned by hand. Not completely around, but you can definately twist it back and forth. No other revolver that I own will do this (S&W J-Frame, GP-100, S&W Model 10-6). Somehow I don't think this is right, but I wanted to hear from other LCR owners out there to see if this was a normal thing for this particular revolver. I'm tempted to call Ruger... but...

Thanks in advance!
Charles
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience many revolvers do this, including all of the LCR's.  Its a perfectly normal part of how the lockwork functions, not to worry.

Edited to add:  I do own an LCR and just checked it to make triple sure.  It does indeed do this.

Edited by TNcitizen22

I'll check mine and report back.

On another note, my LCR has stopped doing the famous "rattle" they are known for. I find it strange that it would suddenly stop after a few years. Either way, they are great guns and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your .357

I own three ruger DA revolvers and they all are like this to varying degrees. Its the way Ruger's lockwork is designed. Got to get that cylinder stop out of the way fast before the hand engages the cylinder. You should be able to rotate the cylinder counter-clockwise (I think its the same direction on the LCR as I'm looking at my GP100) because the spring loaded hand jumps out of the way, but if you try and rotate it backwards it will be stopped by the hand's carry up motion..

The hand should be able to carry the cylinder up and into the next stop even if you gently try to stop it. As long as it does this consider it normal operation.

Edited by onemancoyote

Thanks... I'll not worry with it then. The rattle isn't a problem from what I heard... suppose to be the hammer block (thinggy) I think. It's a great little pistol, but I think I'm going to stick with .38spl when I'm poking holes in paper. My son (14) wants to shoot it with the 158gr. magnum loads... but I'm betting he'll change his mind after a few.

Thanks again!

A couple of good ammo options for the LCR, IMO:

Remington Golden Saber 125g JHP - chrono 1,114 fps - what I carry.

Fiocchi Extrema 158g XTP's - chrono 1,033 fps. Darn good for a heavy bullet from a snubby. SG had these reasonably priced before the crunch.

Haven't paid attention to the cylinder issue, but my S&W model 36 will turn fairly easy by hand, with no pressure on the trigger; but locks up tight when trigger is pulled.