Does anyone near Crossville have a caliper to measure my ak barrel?

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
I'm in need of a caliper and someone with the know how to measure my ak barrel. I'm thinking the barrel has been turned down as it appears to be. I'm thinking I'll need a 1/2 x 28 flash hider but I want to be sure.

Having said that is there anyone on here in the Crossville area that has a caliper and would be willing to measure my ak barrel. I'd be willing to pay you a little something for your time.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it threaded now and you're wanting to determine the thread pitch? Or are you wanting to get it threaded?

If you get no takers and happen to be coming thru the oak ridge area I'll be happy to measure it out.

If it's a standard AK barrel, it should be a 14x1 metric left hand thread pitch. Although I have threaded a few for 1/2x28 as well which drops OD down a bit from 14mm to little under 13mm.

Your 1/2x28 is a right handed thread. If it's threaded now you can visually look at the thread pattern and determine if it's left hand or right hand.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Is it threaded now and you're wanting to determine the thread pitch? Or are you wanting to get it threaded?

If you get no takers and happen to be coming thru the oak ridge area I'll be happy to measure it out.

If it's a standard AK barrel, it should be a 14x1 metric left hand thread pitch. Although I have threaded a few for 1/2x28 as well which drops OD down a bit from 14mm to little under 13mm.

Your 1/2x28 is a right handed thread. If it's threaded now you can visually look at the thread pattern and determine if it's left hand or right hand.

Its a mak 90 with what appears to be a turned down barrel. I'm wanting to thread it for a flash hider

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Calipers are cheap, any hardware store will them. A nice digital one should be $30 or less.

I can't justify the cost for 1 time use.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Easy to measure, you have a metric and standers set of wrenches?
Open end will work better.

Don't have any wrenches of any type. Just screw drivers and a cordless drill and a hammer is all I have.

Like a puzzle eh... tie our hands and see what we come up with ;o)

Got any Ammo for it?  If you have a 308/7.62x39 take the largest diameter of the shell casing - the lip around the primer area.... on a 1/2x28 this diameter will be 'almost' the same as the barrel diameter...

If it's a 14x1 factory size barrel there will be a noticable gap all the way around. - 1/16 - 1/32 easily ...

Good luck... buy some tools man! ;o)  Just Kidding... this way is much more fun!

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Don't have any wrenches of any type. Just screw drivers and a cordless drill and a hammer is all I have.

Ya have a friend that has some?

I'm looking in to it

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Like a puzzle eh... tie our hands and see what we come up with ;o)

Got any Ammo for it? If you have a 308/7.62x39 take the largest diameter of the shell casing - the lip around the primer area.... on a 1/2x28 this diameter will be 'almost' the same as the barrel diameter...

If it's a 14x1 factory size barrel there will be a noticable gap all the way around. - 1/16 - 1/32 easily ...

Good luck... buy some tools man! ;o) Just Kidding... this way is much more fun!

Its hard to buy tools or anything else when after buying groceries and paying bills I'll have about 12.00 left to my name each month.

Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I've got it!

Get a string (one that doesn't stretch) and a sharpie. Wrap the string around what you want to measure and mark where it overlaps. Measure the length between marks with your ruler, this is your circumference. Go to this site and enter your number to get the diameter. http://math.about.com/library/blcirclecalculator.htm

I'm working on getting a metric wrench to measure with.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I'm working on getting a metric wrench to measure with.

Booooo, that's too easy;-). JK, that works too.

Yeah and if I can borrow a couple from my neighbor then ill be good to roll.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Finally caught the neighbor home. I measured with wrenches. 12mm wouldn't fit at all. 14mm fit around it like it was made for it. Thus, I guess the barrel on my ak is not turned down. Maybe?

Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

What caliber is your AK? Most flash hiders for a 223 have a hole that is smaller than a 30 caliber bullet. This can be very dangerous unless it is opened up some.

And unless you have the barrel threaded concentric to the bore on a lathe you can never use a silencer on it. A Flash hider should be fine unless something major goes wrong but no silencer.

7.62x39

The midwest industries hider is 14X1lh and made specifically for ak. I wanted the battle comp but I didn't have 200.00 just laying around nor could I really justify spending that much on a flash hider.