New Aquisition! M1 Carbine by IBM

All 10 prime contractors shared parts as needed so the trigger housing may be original. For example, Underwood produced 1.7 million barrels, of which 400,000 were used by other mfg'ers.

The barrels don't have individual serial numbers.

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1
I got my dad one of those about 20 years ago for his birthday , he is 87 now and has not shot it. I should have my ass kicked for not taking him . He shot one in the army and wanted one , I think his is a Singer or IBM , I need to take him to shoot it. BAD SON. My dad taught me how to shoot with his army Colt .45 , took me dove and duck hunting as I have done my son. Damn I love dove hunting just like my son , nothing beats it.

Depressed 380 , Out.
  • Like 1

All 10 prime contractors shared parts as needed so the trigger housing may be original. For example, Underwood produced 1.7 million barrels, of which 400,000 were used by other mfg'ers.

The barrels don't have individual serial numbers.

So then how does one tell if the barrel is original to the receiver? My barrel says IBM Corp 10-43 and then has the flaming bomb under that.

You really can't.

the flaming bomb is the US Army's Ordnance stamp, some got them some don't.

If the first three of your s/n is 365-366 the mfg dates are 10/43 - 1/44, so great possibility it is the original barrel.

Discovered barrels were in such supply, at times assembly lines were hours from shutting down waiting on deliveries

With 6 million mass produced, matching parts is a misnomer; it's more of original parts. 

I got my dad one of those about 20 years ago for his birthday , he is 87 now and has not shot it. I should have my ass kicked for not taking him . He shot one in the army and wanted one , I think his is a Singer or IBM , I need to take him to shoot it. BAD SON. My dad taught me how to shoot with his army Colt .45 , took me dove and duck hunting as I have done my son. Damn I love dove hunting just like my son , nothing beats it.

Depressed 380 , Out.

Dude, get rolling and get the old man to the range!!!

• Like 1

You really can't.

the flaming bomb is the US Army's Ordnance stamp, some got them some don't.

If the first three of your s/n is 365-366 the mfg dates are 10/43 - 1/44, so great possibility it is the original barrel.

Discovered barrels were in such supply, at times assembly lines were hours from shutting down waiting on deliveries

With 6 million mass produced, matching parts is a misnomer; it's more of original parts. 

Well my serial on the receiver is 369****...so I guess not original barrel to the receiver, but original IBM barrel within a few months.

Also, my rear sight serial is 7160060, not 7160020

it could still be original to the receiver, the simple fact you have an IBM barrel and receiver adds value !

if it did have an Arsenal rebuild the armorer took the time to hand select an IBM barrel out of the bin of barrels he or she had which is pretty cool too

as a side note the proper term for the flaming a bomb mark is "ordinance cartouche"

I may have gotten a digit wrong on your site ...

it could still be original to the receiver, the simple fact you have an IBM barrel and receiver adds value !

if it did have an Arsenal rebuild the armorer took the time to hand select an IBM barrel out of the bin of barrels he or she had which is pretty cool too

as a side note the proper term for the flaming a bomb mark is "ordinance cartouche"

I may have gotten a digit wrong on your site ...

Ok. I would recommend the website http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/ to anyone wanting to have good reference points on proofs and model specific design differences. I know a little more now that I have read through the site.

the m1 carbine form has been a great resource for me also as well as the two reference books I acquired
the CMP form is great as well as odds and ends with the ubiquitous Google search
I did a bunch of research and was fascinated by this amazing little catbine!
A lot of people give carbine Williams too much credit on the design of the little gun. Actually, John browning's brother had a lot to do with it, along with the engineers at Winchester. Carbine Williams just designed the short stroke gas piston I believe.