Help! Medical alert system for seniors.

Raoul

About 5 years ago I did with an elderly friend of mine. I don't remember the brand but it was a white curved box. It took forever for someone to pick up and even then the person was non caring.

I would suggest one of those senior cell phones instead that just has a few buttons with one being 911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I second cell phone.

Even if she doesn't use it, a GreatCall (Jitterbug) account with no minutes is $12/month including taxes.

Hell, actually, any cell phone will dial 911, with no account at all. So that seems like viable option to me.

- OS

• Like 1

I got her a pretty simple phone a couple of years ago. Wasn't the best option.

That's why I'm leaning to something uber simple.

The old girl's not ready for the farm yet, but we're moving in that direction. I want to keep her as independent as I can for as long as I can. I owe her that.

Guest Lester Weevils
The jitterbug, you can go to the site to read up on the optional services, but they have a couple of services that sounded to me the same as the medic alert type product. There is a real easy button press to get to the services.

One of the services, apparently if the client is in trouble or just confused and needs to talk to someone for help or advice, they just click the button.

Used Life Alert for my parents before finally moving them to assisted living. Fortunately they never had to use it but was glad they had them just in case. Was able to get out of the contract when they moved to A.L. Also had the Life Alert smoke detector.

• Like 1
ADT offers a similar service (ADT Home Health). Not sure how it compares price-wise to Life Alert, but I do know the monitoring/response service is handled by the ADT team in Knoxville.

Some good people on the other end of the line.

Just something to consider *if* ADTs pricing is competitive (they can be a bit more expensive on things). If Life Alert is substantially cheaper I'd probably go that route.

Disclaimer: I work for the company, but have absolutely nothing to do with customer operations or sales. I just know a lot of the people in the home health services group. :D

The only problem with a cell phone is you have to be of "right mind" to use it. The person in trouble may only be able to manage a button press and not respond otherwise.  Also if you can't respond to the 911 operator on a cell it may be to late before they figure out who's calling and where they are. Triangulation or Pinging of a cell signal is complicated and takes a while, plus the cell companies usually have to be the ones to do it. Whatever you do needs to be tied to a landline so they can track the call via Caller ID and wearable around the neck or wrist. Think about your own cell phone, how many times do you have to look for where you set it down, not to menton if they fall will they be able to reach the device. The person your trying to protect may only have one chance amd won't be able to go looking for a cell phone.

• Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

I use one personally in case I fall out of my wheelchair etc. I advise against a cell phone for the same reason as jdredmond. You have to have a bit more mental ability to use it. Even when I am just having bloodpressure issues (low) I get too disoriented to dial anything...if I can even unfold the phone. I would also go ahead and get one that has a service, not just an auto dial one like through vTech. The main reason being is that it is just an auto dial phone, so what if the phone line/power is out?
Mine is paid for by insurance, not sure on the brand but will let you know when my aid gets here. It has 2 buttons on the unit, one big red one and a smaller green one. Big red for emergencies obviously and little green in case you accidentally push one of the emergency buttons. It also has a pendant for wearing that is single button. While it does connect to a phone line it also has a back up cellular signal and battery that will send a text with my units serial number so they can still send emergency services if my phone/power is out. Mine also can contact an emergency contact (in my case it is my uncle that lives nearby). When it does have a phone line plugged in it only takes about 2-30 seconds for someone to answer and to ask what the problem is. It is really loud and can be heard throughout my house. I guess the mic is really sensitive too because they always seem to be able to hear me.

We got a system like this for my elderly mother who still lives alone.  She carried the activator on a necklace.  About a month or so after we installed it, my mother fell in her bedroom and could not get back up.  She used it, and it worked great.  The call center notified my sister and called the local EMS, and the ambulance was at my mom's house within 5 minutes.  Luckily she was not injured, aside from some bruises.

It was money well spent.

• Like 1

My aid is here, the one I have is the SmartWave 800LX. Seems to be off the market now though, the new package that looks the same but has a different transmitter/reciever is the AE107. Here is link to the people who make mine.

http://www.alarmelectronics.com/ae107.html

Thanks. This is an interesting unit. I assume you input any number you want for the emergency number? Also will it dial multiple numbers?

Guest Keal G Seo

Thanks. This is an interesting unit. I assume you input any number you want for the emergency number? Also will it dial multiple numbers?

No, it auto dials a call center. That way you have help 24/7. They have emergency contacts if you don't need emergency services and the operator will call them for you. The operators also determine which emergency services you need. Fire, ambulance or police and contact them on your behalf. The one time I have had to push it outside and couldn't communicate with them they sent all 4, 3 services and my uncle.