Higher end optics

I know optics questions have been beaten to death but I'm going to ask again. I recently picked up a SCAR 17 and want to put a good set of optics on it. I don't typically use cheap optics but I don't shop in the upper ranges either. What I've found is that the deeper I get into researching these optics the more confusing it gets. I'm not going to be hunting with this gun and I'm not trying to take it out to 1000 yards. I want some good clear, reliable optics that will do whatever I ask of them within reason.

Right now my top two contenders are the Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS and the IOR 2-12 x 36 Spartan. The Trijicon VCOG 1-6 x 24 is also intriguing but it's not available yet and I'm not sure what the street price will actually be. The higher end stuff (Schmidt and Bender, etc) is out of my budget.

Anyone have any personal experience with the above optics or some sage advice relating to purchasing higher end optics? Any other suggestions that I'm missing?

I've used the NF 1-4 and the 2.5-10.  They are very, very good optics and worth the money.  Excellent glass, solid adjustment, etc.  I would concentrate on picking up a used one but that's just me being cheap.  I almost snatched up a 2.5 for $925 a few weeks back.....but that would've lead to another rifle :)  

The 2.5 for the SCAR 17 is a popular combination. 

1-6's command top dollar these days.  Having said that, 1-5's are coming down.

Every heard of SWFA? Their "sample list" has a couple of these in various configurations for a good (not break the bank) price:

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx#Leupold

http://www.samplelist.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4-MRT-Riflescope-DEMO-B-P63925.aspx

HTH, and good luck with your purchase.

• Like 1

I run a Vortex PST 2.5-10 FPP on my 5.56  spr build and love it. The glass isn't quite as nice as the two you mentioned, but you can't beat it for the price, about $800. I have it on a Larue QD mount and have also shot it out to 1050 yards on my bolt rifle with no problems. It has not been on the market too long, but has received good reviews everywhere I looked.  Lifetime warranty from vortex as well. I recommend at least considering it based on your stated purpose. 

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x32-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

I'm not going to be hunting with this gun and I'm not trying to take it out to 1000 yards. I want some good clear, reliable optics that will do whatever I ask of them within reason.

What are you going to do with it?

I’m asking because I’m confused as to why you would want to spend $1600 on a compact scope limited to 10X when you can get a Leupold, Zeiss, or Nikon with more magnification that can do 1000 yards and costs less.

Fred,

I've seen a few SCARS with Elcans on them ... may want to check that out... makes for a sweet setup...  but if you're wanting to push it out a little further though, I think a Nightforce or Leupy would do you well.  I wouldn't go any less than a 3.5x15 ... Personally my short list is S&B, USO and then Nightforce but there's much more great glass out there too.

I have no experiece but SWFA has gained a lot of momentum and a lot of guys seem to like them... they are a great scope for the value.

Guess you'll have to bite the bullet and figure out what it is you want to shoot and how... then pick a recticle you like.

I know Leupold got a bad rap several years ago but it was their customer service not their quality... Lot of guys will tell you they still make some nice dang glass... I had Mark IVs on my Barretts from the factory - both 50 and 338 so that will tell you what Ronnie Barrett thinks of their ability to hold up.  I've even seen a few VX series riding atop SCARs.. My only personal issue with Leupold is the lack of recticle choices like some of the others offer.

But good luck ... I have a USO SN3 3.2x17 with an H25 recticle here at the shop.. you're more than welcome to come by and look through it... heck you can even mount it on the SCAR and try it out if you'd like... I wouldn't mind.

What color SCAR did you wind up with?

Edited by LawEnforcementSalesTN

I have no experiece but SWFA has gained a lot of momentum and a lot of guys seem to like them... they are a great scope for the value.

I bought 40 Leupolds from SWFA a decade ago - all VX-III Tacticals or Mark 4's - for use on some M14's that my unit took to Iraq.   :usa:

They delivered without a hiccup, and those Leupolds held up extremely well.  Wish I had taken a picture of what $45,000 or so worth of glass looked like in a stack.  Oh, well.  

Edited by Spurholder