Is there a reason for me to get a M&P Shield if...

I already have a M&P9C? I traded my 9C off a while back to a friend for a Glock 23 and just couldn't make myself fall in love with the Glock so we traded back yesterday. The M&P just feels the best in my hand out of all of the plastic fantastics. With the Apex DCAEK the trigger is great but just a little different. I can deal with that. ANYWAY back to the question:

Is it worth it for me to get the shield in 9mm for an EDC? I am already comfortably carrying the 9C but am looking for something slightly smaller for these hot summer days. I was initially wanting a smaller .45 ACP such as the XDS but didn't really want to go with a different platform. Of course the shield doesn't come in .45.

I'm going to end up with a Shield sooner or later. I already have a PPS, I really like the slimness of single stacks for IWB. The reason for the Shield will be to mimic what my bed side gun is, a M&P full size. With those two I'm not sure if I'll add the compact into the mix, but it'd be a nice option to have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I'll take a stab.  

Two family member have the Shield, one in 9 and one in 40.   If you already have the Compact and are comfortable with it, I probably wouldn't get the Shield unless funds aren't an issue.  If money isn't a problem then I would say sure get the Shield.  The Shield is thinner and shorter in length but not by a large amount.  I think the height is about the same with the extended mag on the Shield.   The Shield is not really a pocket gun for me unless I've got on cargo shorts for example.   

Both calibers in the Shield are fine shooters and handle well for a small carry gun.  

Regarding your grip question, you can't really compare it in size to the full size due to the width.  

• Like 1

Well money is and isn't an issue. I am going to buy another handgun either way but only ONE so I want to make it count haha. I was really thinking of buying a full size M&P .45  to use as a nightstand gun and then having the compact for EDC. I have about 50 different scenarios playing in my head. Decisions decisions. I have however about decided to stop trading/selling. I regret it every time. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I like the M&P platform over most others and want to base my EDC and nightstand gun on it hence the yearning for another M&P.

The M&P9c is a "concealment" sized gun if you will. The shield is a "deep concealment" sized gun. It will disappear rather quickly anywhere on your body. If I already had the M&P9c I would not get the shield. Get the full size 9 for night stand / HD and be done with it. I enjoy my .45s, but I'm of the opinion that most people blow it's stopping power out of proportion. 9mm loads these days are not what they once were. Give me 12 124gr Gold dots, over 7 180gr hps any day. Edited by cgun86
If you're just looking for something to slip in your pocket for summer carry, try an LCP. I can't say enough good things about the reliability. It's my go to EDC for hot days, short trips; gas station, quick bite to eat, etc.

Yeah over the past hour or so I have been leaning towards the full size 9. I had a full size 9 before and traded it for the compact. I missed it ever since. It would be nice to own both of them and have it to shoot IDPA with (if I can ever get over the ridiculous rule changes).

I just am not comfortable with the mouse guns. I had an LCP that I just traded off a few days ago. Not really the caliber or capacity but just the fact that I can't shoot them or handle them well. I don't really like pocket carry either.

The ONLY drawback to the M&P's for me is the NEED for the Apex DCAEK kits.

Based on you just wanting to buy one gun, let me throw out another less expensive option than buying a FS and using the compact for EDC.  

Get the X-Grip mag extensions for the compact, which turns it into the FS capacity and use it for your house gun.  Buy the Shield for your EDC.   If you find yourself wanting a little more capacity than the Shield at times, use the compact with the normal compact mags.     

• Like 4
The new model shields have a vastly improved trigger which will eventually trickle up the m&p line.

I went with the FS 40. I have a $65 stock 9mm barrel that drops in and stock 9mm mags. The 40 and 357sig share the same mags, so I also have the $85 stock 357 barrel as well. Super versatile setup.

The 40c lines works the same. The 40 shield can do the same thing with 9.

Is the barrel swap from .40 to 9 more reliable than the line wolf glock swap? Are the extractors different? If they are as reliable as stock then the .40 shield seems to be the way to go.

It is def as reliable as stock. No problems with the ejector, and no need to spend more for a conversion barrel.

The only time reliability comes into play is when someone cheaps out and still uses the 40 mag with 9. This would be fine at the range, and might actually help with training, but the 9 barrel and 9 mag is flawless.

Plenty of YouTube vids and forum posts out there to research.

I have had 0 failures in the 40 or 9 configuration. And I'm a touch more accurate running it as a 9.

When I do get a shield it will be a 40, likely running in a 9 config. The stock 9 barrel is hard to get, so I'll probably keep an eye out for one, and will likely have it before I even get a shield.

Thanks for the info man. Not doubting you personally but the interwebz is full of guys saying that the barrels work fine (I'm sure they do based on what you said) but that there is some concern regarding the head spacing and the 9mm barrel not locking up as tight as the .40. Couldn't this cause some problems at some point?

I've got the FS and really like it, except the crappy, gritty, heavy stock trigger. I did some trigger work on mine and got it better but still not what I'd call good. Have a DCAEK on the way for it. I stopped in the LGS today looking for an EDC gun. Ended up getting a shield. I liked the compact but it was a little too similar to the FS. The Shield had a lot better trigger than my FS or the compact had out of the box too.

Based on you just wanting to buy one gun, let me throw out another less expensive option than buying a FS and using the compact for EDC.  

Get the X-Grip mag extensions for the compact, which turns it into the FS capacity and use it for your house gun.  Buy the Shield for your EDC.   If you find yourself wanting a little more capacity than the Shield at times, use the compact with the normal compact mags.     

Since you already have the compact, this would probably be the route I'd go.

Yeah JD that's the way I am leaning. I am still on the fence of getting a fullsize .40 or a sheild. I would like to have both but just have to handle a shield and see if it is REALLY worth getting. I am still concerned about the whole barrel swap thing. I would prefer to be able to do that but don't want to try it unless it is something that will be 100% reliable. From what I have seen online that isn't the case. I may just stick with 9mm and get either the shield or the full size.

Forgot to thank you for this idea. I don't know why I never thought of it. I actually have one X-Grip already just no mag to put it on. I will be going to Nashville this weekend so I am going to hit up some of the gun shops in the area and hopefully score some mags. I am hoping to buy the gun used when the time comes. For some reason these shields are popping up alot online now.

I have the M&P 9C and the 9 Shield. Doing timed draw and two shot drills, I am faster with the M&P 9C in my Crossbreed Deepcover IWB. I have the X-grip for a 17 rd mag that I have available for house use. The 9 Shield is a little smaller and a good deep conceal carry. Both guns have been very reliable and accurate. I tested my 9 Shield and the trigger is okay per SW video.

• Like 1