Hog Hunting

I live south of Nashville, no wild hogs in the area that I am aware of yet. I know hogs are an issue just a couple hours away (Crossville area) but I don't know anyone in that area to try and hunt private land.

I have never liked hunting public land so the WMA areas during deer season is not desired even though it is a possible option.

What I am looking for is the chance to shoot a couple for meat. The outfitters in East TN specialize in trophy boar from what I see on their websites, and hunts are priced accordingly. Does anyone know of affordable opportunities to put some meat in the freezer? I have considered calling a couple of the outfitters to see about pricing for a couple of meat hogs, just haven't gotten around to it. I wouldn't mind making the two hour drive just for a day of hunting if I knew odds of success were high. Thanks for any info you might have.

Seems like there are LOTS of "Guaranteed Opportunity" places nearby....

Some of them also offer "Fair Chase" hunts for a bit less money.

Which tells you what the Guaranteed Opportunity Hunts are.

For better prices, it seems you have to go to Texas, Florida or Oklahoma.

I suppose I could make it a mini vacation and head somewhere...

Thanks Dave, will check them out.

Edit, I will have to call them. Google doesn't have a direct website, their Facebook hasn't been touched in 2 years, may not even be around anymore. Edited by jonathon1289

I suppose I could make it a mini vacation and head somewhere...

Thanks Dave, will check them out.

Edit, I will have to call them. Google doesn't have a direct website, their Facebook hasn't been touched in 2 years, may not even be around anymore.

OK, thanks.

If you want good hog hunting, you're almost going to have to go out of state. TN has a growing hog population, but you have to know someone to get a decent place to hunt. The hog population is growing at an alarming rate here (TWRA doesn't think so) and it won't be long before the hogs will be piss'n off TWRA by eating up their flower beds, quail, turkey and duck eggs. They'll see the errors of their ways! There are hogs right now in WMA's that never had them before. Yeah, I guess it's working.....

Dave

Edited by DaveS

The fenced hunts can still be a challenge. I've hunted with Loshbough Hunting Lodge as well as a few others and enjoyed all of the hunts.

It's not fair chase, but Loshbough has 500 acres fenced and it's still a lot of fun. The hogs get a little asterisk in the book since they aren't fair chase, but I'd still go back in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

500 Acres fenced doesn't sound like a negative to me.

I want to do a Spot and Stalk Hog Bowhunt and would like to go to a place that definitely HAS hogs.

I just don't want to have a guide walk me up to a stand over a corn feeder and say "ok which one do you want?" :)

Yeah, it's not cheap, but it includes lodging, guides and use of dogs if you want.

If you know of anyone who'll let me hunt hogs on their land, let me know and I'll be right over.

In the meantime, this will have to do.

Yeah, it's not cheap, but it includes lodging, guides and use of dogs if you want.

If you know of anyone who'll let me hunt hogs on their land, let me know and I'll be right over.

In the meantime, this will have to do.

Start with your local Game Warden. They are a wealth of information and may know a land owner willing to let you hunt. Don't call TWRA itself as those people answering the phones failed basic reading and are only working there because some bill collector didn't want them.

Try "Tennessee Extreme". I'm not sure if Sean is still in business or not. Goolge it.

DaveS

Hmm, hadn't thought about reaching out to one of the local wardens to see if they had any leads. I may see if the guys here would have any contacts over to the east.
I'm really only looking to shoot a couple for meat, but would certainly help try and control the local population.

Taste wise, how does a feral hog taste compared to a domestically raised hog and are they leaner, gamey tasting?

I also understand you're suppose to use caution handling / field dressing them because they can carry some nasty's?

Funny how many of the state(s) conservation laws treat invasive species from discovery to crises. First they deny a potential problem, then they regulate it like it's a wild game species and set limits, hours, dates, calibers, etc. I'm surprised in Tennessee you don't have to buy the additional "pig stamp". Then they ask for public help to try and control it?

Asian carp, zebra mussels and feral hogs come to mind to name a few.

Edited by Dennis1209

Taste wise, how does a feral hog taste compared to a domestically raised hog and are they leaner, gamey tasting?

I also understand you're suppose to use caution handling / field dressing them because they can carry some nasty's?

I don't know about nastys, but Dave brought some wild hog bacon to the camp last year and that was some amazing stuff. Best I ever ate.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Funny how many of the state(s) conservation laws treat invasive species from discovery to crises. First they deny a potential problem, then they regulate it like it's a wild game species and set limits, hours, dates, calibers, etc. I'm surprised in Tennessee you don't have to buy the additional "pig stamp". Then they ask for public help to try and control it?

Asian carp, zebra mussels and feral hogs come to mind to name a few.

It's gamey. The older the pig (especially boars) the worse it gets. They are fairly lean and don't contain a large amount of fat. I like the "gamey taste" in deer and pigs. If I didn't, I'd just eat "chicken". Yes, when field dressing feral hogs, good gloves are a must. I carry dish washing gloves in my hunting pack.

Cut your wild pigs the same as you would domestic pork and deer. If you are into making ham, sausage and bacon (as I am), there are plenty of stuff out there to help you along. Bass Pro has a very good processing selection. It's a good hobby to have. One of my favorite things to make with my scrap deer and feral hog is Trail Bologna. AWESOME!

DaveS

I personally like the strong taste of wild game. I had a smoked wild turkey 5-6 years ago and it was amazingly good. It is almost like wild game is concentrated as far as the flavor goes. I know the wild turkey we had wasn't as big as most commercial turkeys either.

It's a flavor all it's own!

DaveS

Depends entirely on the animal and how you kill it. An old boar being run down by dogs over the course of an hour is going to be some of the nastiest tasting meat you've ever tried. However, a younger boar or a nice sow taken without going on alert has a very mild taste. The meat is much much leaner than pork, but it can make for some awesome pork chops, tenderloin and sausage... mmmmm, sausage.

As for field dressing... take every precaution, they can carry some nasty diseases.

• Like 2