Security Guard Job

Jesse

I'm interested in being a security guard,willing to get the training to be unarmed or armed.   Does anyone know how one would go about doing this?  Is there a place you can go and they pay for your training and get you a job?  Also whats all required to get a job or even the training? like past history,drug test ,education ect...   I have a job now, i was just looking into this. My wife's friend guards the gates in nashville for the big rich folks and says she loves it.  

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been a security guard but basically you can get hired as an unarmed guard making min wage and maybe a little more. They will put you through the class and deduct the license fee from your check. You will carry your license if you leave and look for another job. As far as armed expect to work unarmed for a long time and stand the possibility of never getting the chance to go armed though. Most places, the few with armed guards, hire people who spend the $300 out of pocket to already have their license and training. There am be a place in Murfessboro doing armed guard training but you may have to go to Nashville. Good luck.
Oh unarmed pay tops out at about $10 a hour unless you are working more as a private(corporation) guard/detective. Armed pay is normally $10-13 a hour and expect to get laid off a lot. You can always find work though around December though.

The ultimate goal is to have your own company, can be stressfull though balancing contracts and personnel. Maybe you could work into a government contract or one of the few government guard positions. Some of the highest paid guards are the DOE contract guards and the TVA contract guards, they are making around $18 a hour, almost all are prior military, police, and EMT's.
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Take it from a former armed unarmed licensed security officer. The jobs are few and far between. I did not renew my license because I make allot more more working for the state than armed/unarmed security. Unless you know someone that works at tva, or doe you Will Not be hired.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

A cousin in CT drives a Wells Fargo truck during the day and works event security nights and weekends.  He says the truck work is boring but steady and the event security work is never boring and he's gotten paid to see a number of good concerts.  Neither one pays much ($10-$12/hr... in CT), hence the two jobs.  His goal is to join the FBI, but sequestration but the kibosh on that for a while. 

Its not about the money as it is about the job. I would like a job thats not so hard on the body. And would love to have a/c or heat.

I can actually understand that, I don't know your current situation. Go for it, if it does not work for you won't be out much.